Renewable resources

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by kellory, Nov 21, 2012.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Its just an Idea, a 8' 2000lb flywheel supported by a real good bearing would spin for a long time, yes it would tak alot of wheeties to get it moving.
    Ive seen low compression small engines with a real heavy fly wheel <not 8'> run at 200 rpm with a very little amount of fuel.

2. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

Energy in must equal energy out, if you include friction losses, heat from the resistance of the wires, etc you will see why these motor/gen sets could never work

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It really does NOT matter if it is hand powered or Petroleum Powered, it still takes the SAME Amount of BTUs, (energy) to spin up that flywheel, and what ever energy you extract MUST BE Replaced, plus any losses, to keep it going. Still no Free Lunch....

4. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

I guess that may be theoretically possible, but quite a few ram pumps would be far easier then millions of capillary tubes.

Just my [2c]

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Has I say its just all in my head, remember those old merrygo rounds we rode on when we were kids, a little push could move alot of "weight " for a long time. I realize its still no "free lunch" but try to haul that much weight pulling a wagon. Im sure it would be far better than these bycycle generators that are being sold or <peddled>.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not quite. That climb is capillary action, and depends on surface tension of the fluid. If the straw is dry, the level will be depressed, not rise. If the straw is wet, it will rise. Getting water to rise the 30 odd feet (altitude dependent) is if there's a vacuum in the pipe. For siphons to work, the delivery has to be to a lower elevation than the level of the source tank.

Some fluids won't wet the tubing at all, and the surface always has a dome rather than like water that wets the surface and may show a depression. Mercury does not wet the surface that contains it and always has a dome. If your doctor still uses a mercury tube for blood pressure, you can see that. (Bet he doesn't, I think they are outlawed.)

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Larry, you're thinking. A good thing, and more, your are making observations. A good thing for preps.

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

This one I do know about. The water climbs due to surface tension of the fluid, for the same reason, it will not exit the straw at it's holding tank.

9. kellory

I have not studied Bedinis before this, I thought I was missing something derived from a pulsed duty cycle VS a steady draw duty cycle. On close examination, all I am really seeing is energy transferred from one battery to the other. The one example I was looking for showed meters on both batteries, and a slight but steady climb in voltage on both meters simultaneously. It must have been faked. I guess you don't have to be stupid to buy snake oil, it just helps. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

Drbanner and BTPost like this.
  10. kellory

Now, the waste water from the ram pumps could still be used to turn a water wheel or turbine for a secondary use of that falling water( change in elevation) or even a secondary ram pump.

11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

My ex wife's voice box is as near to a perpetual motion machine that I can think of....I've not ever been able to interrupt it once it gets going. :eek:

Drbanner, oldawg and hank2222 like this.
  12. kellory

chelloveck and Drbanner like this.
  13. kellory

chelloveck likes this.
  14. kellory

chelloveck likes this.
  15. kellory

chelloveck likes this.
  16. kellory

The oddball stuff (possible, just not feasible)
    RCA Airnergy claims to charge gadgets using ambient WiFi signals You could store these, and they would grow in charge from existing WIFI signals. They will take a long time to charge, but it is free power (after initial cost)
    Bat-hook device taps into overhead power lines (a pirate's tool)
    PowerTrekk fuel cell charger allows for power on the go This WOULD go into a BOB. but the cost is a bit steep, and not yet in production, last I heard. Don't know if (discs) could be hand reloaded or not.

shallow water wheel water pumping.

17. BTPost

The WiFi thing is TOTAL BS.... Your batteries will self Discharge faster that any recovered WiFi power could possibly charge them... Again TOTAL BS....

18. kellory

I DID list it as oddball and not feasible.

19. kellory

chelloveck likes this.
  20. BTPost

If one just put an OutBack MX60 Charge Controller to that flexible Solar Panel, it would drive ANY Inverter, you could possibly hook up... The wonders of MPPT Charge Controllers....

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7