Renewable resources

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by kellory, Nov 21, 2012.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

No longer available. here is the new version.

OutBack Power Flex Max 60 MPPT solar power charge controller.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

Found this interesting and worth a watch.

3. kellory

It is interesting, but it is an illusion. It is not possible to get more out than you put in. What is happening, is the ac being put is being converted into power for other motor (complete with power losses at each step. His answer is gobbly-gook and worthless. Diameter of the wheels? Hogwash. The larger the wheel, the longer the lever arm working AGAINST torque. (I'll let the engineer explain it, it will be more concise, and to the point).
    A similar item took me in for a while, I though I had overlooked something that allowed it to work, but in truth all it was doing is changing the form of the same power as it moves through the machine. The end result is actually LESS that powering the motor direct would be. (Every stage or conversion adds a power loss)

chelloveck and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is "No Free Lunch"...., No matter how much TinFoil, you wrap around your head....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    chelloveck likes this.
  5. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

He uses Rf energy or some craziness some of his other videos get more detailed.
    I never said I believed it just found it interesting

Ganado likes this.
  6. BTPost

Once in a while, I indulge myself, by delving into this BS, just for Good Laugh.... It never ceases to Amaze me, the theories these Yahoos come up with, to snooker the Rubs... My brother (the Engineer) was using these type things as part of his Masters Thesis... Disproving them... Lots of Fun...

kellory and Drbanner like this.
  7. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

I never delve deep enough to go out and purchase these items because I was raised in the real world lol
    I don't believe perpetual energy is possible but using some of these ideas together someone could throw together a decent self sufficient system if it had solar wind or a generator to kickstart it.
    I'm actually trying to piece together a system of this type myself.

8. kellory

The problem is, it does not actually produce power. It costs power. Drive your power system as directly as possible for best results.
    Go directly from your solar, wind or hydro to your charging system. Any and all of this nonsense robs you of power at every step.

9. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

So one motor spinning 5 Altenators uses more energy then the Altenators make?

10. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Yup

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Second law of thermodynamics. Thou shalt get no more out than you put in. In fact, out will be less than in due to inefficiency.

12. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

I guess that's the part I don't understand.

How much power does 5 200amp Altenators make at 3000 rpm?

13. BTPost

At least 10% less than the Power required to turn them...... And just so you understand, Car Alternators are notoriously inefficient at producing electricity....

14. Drbanner

Drbanner Monkey

ok I think I understand what your saying.
    If I'm going to use a wind turbine or solar to power this motor to spin the Altenators than I'm better off going wind/solar to the batts.
    Gotcha.

What systems do house boats use since those do seem to generate and sustain big power?

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

@BTPost

or tinfoil one wraps around one's lunch! ;)

Ganado likes this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

17. BTPost

Since there has never been a Sustained Fusion Reactor.... it is either Fission, OR just a Decay Heat, Producer.....

18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

*Disclaimer*
    I have not read the entire thread

I did, however, work with a guy who is from the UK (and he showed me the documentation and some newspaper clippings about it) who helped track down a guy stealing electricity from the BBC, yes, the TV/Radio people. The comment about RF energy reminded me. He had set up a tower (I think the term is an inductive coupler but not sure) and was literally creating a broadcast black hole behind him (in a triangle pattern) in line with the broadcast towers. He was taking RF energy and converting it back down to a "usable" form and charging battery banks.

Not free in the ultimate sense in that the BBC was pumping the power into their antennas, but in theory, on a different scale, electricity can be "captured" or "generated". The problem is that in order to capture a significant amount of energy, the apparatus has to be huge.

Look up Geomagnetically Induced Current sometime. It's there, it exists, but harnessing it is a bear.

And it doesn't violate any of the laws of thermodynamics, it just uses a power source outside of your control. There is loss in the capture, loss in the store and loss in the retrieval. I'm not talking tacheons or other crap, I'm just talking about the magnetic field that surrounds the planet.

**Bonus question**
    If we were able to harness and convert even 1% of all Geomagnetically Induced Current worldwide, what would the affect be, if any, on the planet?

19. kellory

You would slow the world's rotation.

20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Kinda figured but haven't done the math. ;)

The down side is that if you slowed the worlds rotation, it would affect the amount of GIC, so you'd have to gather a higher % to get the same "amount", which would eventually kill us all.

Better to go solar. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7