Report from the border

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman, Mar 19, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anything new on the southern front?

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Seems to be getting more dangerous around here. Had a winter texan car jacked at the local Wal-Mart last week. Stole his PU and was found in Mission a few days later with 4 wets in it. He said he had been wintering here for years but he was going home and not coming back.

The Hidalgo Co. sherrifs are looking for a gang of 3-4 that have been doing armed home invasions. Had a woman on the news from McAllen the other day. Heard her husband yelling, he was trying to hold the door to keep them from getting in. She stuck a shotgun out the window and started firing. They hauled it out of there.

The Wal-Mart parking lots are the most dangerous place around here. Lots of stolen vehicles, robberies, and even a couple of kidnappings.

I was talking to a friend today. His friend retired down here and the wife has been working as part time as a nurse at a local hospital. She quit the other day because she said she couldn't take it anymore. She says they have 10-20 "codes" a night. Emergencies, knife wounds, gunshots etc. and 90% of the people speak no English at all.

On the other side it looks like the border town schools are taking a cue from the one in Roma. I saw a sign the other day on the side of the highway. "Future home of Rio Grande City High School". The thing that got my attention? It was 14 miles from Rio Grande City. I asked a local why there? He said the international bridge was only 1 mile away. (see page 4 and 5 of this thread)

BTW, I added my AR-15 pistol with 4 mags of AP to my carry arsenal down here. Looks like I am headed back to the Laredo area in a month or two. Joy!

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

From my standpoint this is nothing short of an act of war. Most do not recognize this because of the political angles and the media/race issue. Simply put, if you wanted to invade a country in the past, sending armed soldiers across the border would be recognized and could be halted. There is practically nobody stopping the continuous wave of unarmed Mexican and South American people from crossing on foot illegally, and it is extremely difficult to even try to stop it by any conventional means as it requires a great deal of manpower and funding, not to mention the organization and support. The situation along our borders is a logistical nightmare.

And worst of all, evidence suggests that this is a planned and controlled invasion, supported by our own government.

As this is an act of war, my proposed solution is to place troops along the border, remove the troops from the middle east which have been so conveniently relocated to fighting a foreign war. Make a clear ultimatum for any S. American country to cease and to apply deadly force. Make strategic military strikes, taking out key Mexican highways which lead to the United States, and incorporate a buffer zone. Place an embargo on Mexico and punish corporations for doing business with the enemy. Declare war against the infiltrators. Conquer the south and set up some parking lots and condos. End of story.

4. E.L.

Wal-Mart parking lots are problems everywhere. We had a young girl kidnapped from one here in Tyler a couple of years ago by a young black man. She was tortured, repeatedly raped, and finally killed. She was a teller at the WM. She was a beautiful young lady, and my wife and oldest daughter remember her checking them out at the register. Damn shame. The perp took a plea deal with life and no parole. This was done after the family signed off on it, and part of the deal was that he had to answer all of their questions regarding the kidnapping, rape, torture, and killing of their daughter.

How do you like that AR pistol? I like the way they look, but I cannot see me being able to hit accurately with it unless the buffer tube was long enough that I could lean into it some. Keep that Kel-Tec or that NAA on you at all times, you never can tell when you will need it. I don't want to read about you in one of these stories.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Looks like there are some internal problems as well for our southerly invaders.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23656496/
    Somehow, I can't muster any sympathy, even if I can understand why the "good" ones may want to go somewhere safer than home.

6. Minuteman

I love the AR pistol but it is a go to short range weapon. I have a sling that when extended to the end steadies the weapon enough that I can be pretty accurate. Enough anyway to take care of business. I have the sling adjusted to where it is tight when my arm is at the same position that it would be if the weapon was shouldered. That with the hand guard is a fairly stable platform.

I just went out and took some pics of my bug out kit. If SHTF while I'm down South I'm gonna make it home!!!
    I'm either really well prepared or really paranoid! Maybe a little of both.

The first pic is behind the back seat. A Blackhawk backpack with hydration bladder on top of my gun safe. Every vehicle should have one. (If you have a gun safe in your vehicle, you just might be a survivalist!)

A Maxpedition bag inside the backpack with extra mags, flashlight,candles,water purification tabs and some other goodies.

I only keep the firearms in the safe on the jobsite. The XD is on me. When traveling, the Kel-tec is on the sunvisor, the 1911 in the seat beside me. The 1911 goes in the console when I exit the vehicle and the Kel-Tec in my pocket.

I love the storage in these Mega Cabs! A civil defense radiation detector ( doesn't everyone have one?) and my survival kit that I got from Bear. A mess kit with cookstove,fuel tabs, signal mirror,firestarter,scissors,can opener, flashlight, extra fuel tabs, hand warmer, shortwave radio.

And on the other side; Shovel/axe combo tool, first aid and bee sting kits, power inverter and mini air pump.

Then my Briefcase. Say hello to my little friend!

Yeah, I think I'll make it home.
    PIC_0001.JPG PIC_0002.JPG PIC_0003.JPG PIC_0004.JPG PIC_0005.JPG PIC_0006.JPG PIC_0007.JPG PIC_0008.JPG PIC_0009.JPG PIC_0010.JPG PIC_0011.JPG

7. Minuteman

I just bought this new truck. A Dodge Mega-Cab. I am making this entire area behind the back seat a BOB. Here are a few things I will be adding to it very soon. Anything else you guys can think of?

1) a Katadyne purifying water bottle

2) some iodate tablets. (I have some at home but need to put them in the truck)

3) a gas mask (I have at home) and some particle masks

4) I have food, clothes and tools that I carry in the bed. I will be having a bed cover installed when I get home

I am thinking of two scenarios. Getting caught in an area that has had a terrorist/nuclear attack, natural disaster etc. that I need to get out of quick. And the other is if I have to abandon the vehicle and hoof it.

I like the Blackhawk backpack and the Maxpedition bag. They are not threatening looking and would not raise much suspicion. The camo leg holster is for the XD and would only be used in a real dire situation where I didn't care who saw it.

Also will be installing an auxillary fuel tank in the bed.

I was just looking over the pics above. This is a real monkey effort. The backpack I got from Melbo, the Maxpedition bag from Clyde, and the mess kit from Bear.

8. E.L.

Leatherman multi-tool, more water, med kit, aspirin/motrin, (don't forget the benadryl those fire ants, wasp, and killer bees can get nasty in SWTX., you never know when you might need to save a life), sleeping bag, and something for shelter, a small tent or even just a tarp with some paracord to keep the rain off your back if you have to bug out of your vehicle. You do as much travel as anyone on the monkey, and since it is in your vehicle it needs to be a home away from home. Slip a full size rifle in their somewhere if you can. SWTX has lots of areas for longer shots. You never can tell when the opportunity to do a little hunting will present itself. Without trying to add more to your bag, I also have some small, cheap Simmons binoculars that are very light weight, but will do in a pinch. Come and see me and I will give you a pair of your own as I have lots of extras (damn Gander Mountain sale I couldn't walk away from!)

BTW, are those Thermold mags? If so, you might want to consider replacing them with Magpul PMags. My luck with Thermolds was not good, and I know the folks at ARF hate them as well. I would hate for them to let you down when you are a long ways from home.

9. vonhismean

vonhismean Monkey++

Nice setup. My truck is also considered the survival truck. But I don't have one of those radiation meters yet.

10. Minuteman

Some good advice E.L., some things I hadn't thought about. I have rain gear and another bag not pictured that is my medic kit. Plus extra boots socks, cold weather gear etc. everything I might need on the job. I would scrounge out what I thought was necessary if I had to abandon the vehicle. Hadn't considered the binocs and the sleeping bag. I have a hammock I might throw in there too.

As to the Thermolds, I hadn't heard any bad about them. I'll have to check over at ARF and see what they are saying about them. I have used them for years. Although not any heavy use, just to shoot at the range or around the property. Never had a bit of trouble with them. The Canadian Military uses them so I figured they were reliable. I know that the Orlite ones won't work in a Bushmaster so avoid those. I have dozens of the standard aluminum ones. I saw those magpul ones advertised. You like them huh?
    I might invest in a few.

11. Minuteman

I actually used to carry a handcuff key in my belt. Where I could get to it when handcuffed behind the back.
    But that was in my younger days and it wasn't getting grabbed that I was worried about. I was more apt to get in that predicament for doing things that I don't do anymore.

taser1

I almost got an attitude adjustment one night becuse of it. I was handcuffed and put in the back of a squad car. While the cop was still outside talking to the others I unlocked the cuffs, put my hands in front of me and relocked them. When he opened the door he had this puzzled look, trying to figure out if I had played contortionist or what. He re-cuffed me behind the back and threaded the seat belt through my arms and locked it. He said "That will hold you." By the time we had got to the station I had managed to get the seat belt open and had taken off the cuffs and they were laying on the seat beside me.

He didn't think it was funny at all.

Cops have no sense of humor!

12. Minuteman

Dammit Tango!! I post a response and you come back and delete yours. Now no one knows what I'm talking about. Thanks alot.

I think we need to lock Tango's delete button!!!!!
    [beat]

13. E.L.

I have heard that some of the problems with the Thermolds were related to when the AR gets really hot. At that point they call them Thermelts. It wasn't my problem with them though, mine were related to springs, and feed lips. I think I also had one crack. So far the Magpul PMags have been indestructible. I am really happy with mine, and I have quite buying the aluminum mags.

I bought five cans of sterno the other day too, I am thinking about adding them into my packs. In the end it all comes down to water, food, and shelter. Just how comfortable you want to be is what adds up.

14. Minuteman

Well it's Spring time on the border.

The mesquite trees are greening up. The wildlife is moving, rattlesnakes, wetbacks, coyotes, mules. The Border Patrol helicopter is flying.

Had a roughneck from another rig just a few miles from here found a womans body tucked up under some brush. No word yet on what killed her. May have been natural causes.

But had more ominous news today. The drilling contractor working for me has a missing man. He left to go on days off and never made it home. They found some of his belongings beside the road just a few miles from here. No sign of him or his truck.

This contractor is notorious for spot inspections. If you have a weapon, an empty beer can or even an empty shell casing it is immediate termination. They show up regularly and search thier employees vehicles and personal effects. They're endangering them in the name of "safety". I don't have any control over thier internal policies. Depriving a man the means to defend himself down here is bordering on criminal.

Life on the border goes on..........for some.

15. Minuteman

BTW, picked up a holo sight for the Bushy pistol at the gun show. And 5 PMAGS. I'm not impressed with the mags. They seem to be sturdier made than the Thermolds but I found that if I load them full with 30 rounds they won't lock in. I can take two rounds out and they work fine. Not sure I want to rely on mags that may or may not lock in when I need them.

16. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Seems like total BS to me for any employer to be able to make employees allow them to search their vehicles short of bringing out LE with a warrent. Hopefuly the laws like Florida is passing will spread that make it illegal for employers to fire people from haveing firearms legally stored in their vehicles even on company property.

They already search your urine to figure out if you fail to comply with their standards when not being paid or on their time and now like to search vehicles to see if you fail to go by their politics/policies, whats next employers searching peoples homes to be sure they are 'behaveing themselves' there?

I dont suppose I would last with that company since even if I didnt have anything in the vehicle it just wouldnt be worth it to me to allow them to search my vehicle (especialy for a general search not related to missing company property or something more reasonable) in order to keep the job.

I am curious though, I know you have mentioned before some of your 'travel companions' even in this thread. How have you kept the job this long with them pulling that type of crap and haveing the 'travel companions' along?

17. Minuteman

I don't work for that company. They work for me. Or the company I work for actually. But I have no influence or control over thier internal policies.

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

?
    [beat][beat][beat]It's entirely possible, probably thought I was being too "james bondy"with hidden razorknife blades and keys...Sorry I'm trying to moderate my posting activities to more worth while(and legal) stuff over sheer volume of infowars reposts .or flights of fantasy. Interesting to hear of your "houdini" act.I was more thinking about your mexican kidnapping stories for the accessible blades and handcuff keys.

19. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

If people would suck it up and quit working for those "F"up companies they wouldn't get away with this by way of profit margin dropping.

20. E.L.

I hope his widow sues. I wouldn't go anywhere without a gun, especially down there. I hope that you do not either. It is easy to get complacent, be unaware, and that is an invitation. A simple "tap" on the bumper down a dirt road, or a man laying in the road pretending to be hurt while his companions are waiting. They lay many types of traps, so stay alert.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7