Report from the border

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman, Mar 19, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I wonder why they are not locking in? I have shot mag after mag with 30 rds. in it and had no problems with a Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, and Stag. When I am keeping mags stored I try to remember to put just 28 rds. in each mag. to keep the full tension off of the spring (as I have been told will entend the life of the spring) but when I take them to the range I fill it all the way up.

They are damn sure durable : YouTube- Magpul PMag versus a Chevy Truck

Tactical Response test on a Magpul they accidentally shot:
    YouTube- P-Mag Test

E-mail Magpul and tell them about your problems with their mags, I am curious to hear what they have to say as they are the only mags I am buying right now.

If you want to get rid of your Pmags let me know, and I will give you what you paid for them.

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I loaded them up the night before I left. When I get home I am going to try them in my other rifles and see if it is the same with those. I tried all 5 mags and had the same results. Even with the two rounds removed you have to make sure to push hard to get them to lock in. don't know what the problem is. I don't want to mess with them here at work. I'll do some investigating when I get home.

3. Minuteman

Thought I'd update a few things that I have learned recently.

I posted about the High School in Roma picking up bus loads of kids at the border every day. Well the next town down the valley is Rio Grande City. It seems they have taken a clue from Roma. A sign beside the highway advertises the "Future Site Of Rio Grande City High School".
    So what's the big deal? It's 13 miles from the town! Why would a city build a brand new high school 13 miles from town?
    Seems there is a bridge crossing the Rio Grande 1 mile from the proposed site.
    Thier enrollment will certainly go up next year. And with it the amount of our tax dollars they get.

Car jackings seem to be way up this summer. I have heard of several cases just this week. A woman was buying groceries, she got her 80 yr old mother in the car, started it and turned on the AC, loaded her groceries and then went to put the cart up. Some wets were watching and when she tried to get in they grabbed her, threw her to the ground and took off. Just before the border the driver reached across grandma, opened the door and kicked her out of the moving car.
    Grandma's in the hospital, the car, groceries and bandito's are safely in Mexico.

Another tactic that has been developed. A gang of 6-10 bandito's draw straws. The loser gets pummeled by the others. He is laid out, black and blue and bleeding in the road. When a passerby stops to see if he's Ok the others jump from the bushes and grab the driver, and any passengers, beat the crap out of them and take off with thier car.

The hottest item on the border right now is 4 wheel drive diesel pick-ups. Exactly the type that most oilfield people drive. A guy I know was in a restaurant in Laredo recently. Two sherrifs deputies came in and asked who was driving the diesel truck outside. He said it was his. They informed him that they had just caught two mexicans attempting to steal it. Seems they have a device that when next to a vehicle it an scan until it finds the keyfob code to unlock the doors.

4. Minuteman

Had to go back and see if I had posted this or not. The other thing that you have to watch for this time of year are these little critters.
    Seems it is unusually dry this year and they are thick. We were killing 4-6 a night last month. We had our location sprayed with a commercial snake reppelent and so far have only killed 7 in the last 10 days.
    They are particularly bad this year. The border town hospitols are reportedly stocking up on anti-venin
    snakes 001. snakes 002. snakes 006.

5. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

tastes like chicken? I mean, you grilling up those varmints?

6. Minuteman

"Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I'll never know cause I aint eatin the nasty MFr!"

7. E.L.

Some snake gators would be a wise envestment.

Where are you going to be at next week? I am going to be in and around Uvalde for about a week starting Sat. Give me a call if you are close by. My cell service will be spotty though.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hey, MM - Without giving away too much, we know you aren't supposed to carry in the field, what do you use to dispatch those slinky little ones? Do they issue you a forked stick?

9. Minuteman

E.L., sorry bud I'm headed North tomorrow.

Ghrit, I use a "Roughneck".

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

lol sucks to be the low man on the totum pole.

11. Minuteman

A bit off topic but there is a new show on Trutv channel "Black Gold". I caught the premier episode last wed. night. Pretty real to life. It's on every Wed. at 9pm CST with re-runs all week. Like "Deadliest Catch" or "Ax Men". Pretty cool.

12. Minuteman

There has been a lot about the situation on the border on TV lately. O'Rielly had the Sherriff of Zapata county on the other night and he was telling about the kidnappings and carjckings and other violence down here. He told of an incident just last week of a grenade thrown into a crowded bar. Glenn Beck had a guy on whose Daughter was kidnapped in '04 and has had no word or help from the State Dept. GB reports that there are 70 cases of Americans kidnapped in or taken to Mexico.

I thought I would give an update on what I have been seeing lately. We found 5 dead bodies on and around our oil leases this past summer and fall. All killed execution style. Come to find out there was a guy staying at a ranch down the road from here who was a hitman from a Mexican cartel. They suspect him of the killings and when they raided the ranch he had slipped back across the border.

A friend of mine was coming down I-35 from San Antonio to Laredo about 2am. On a desolate stretch of the road two cars came up on him and one got in front, the other beside him. They started slowing down, trying to force him to stop. He turned on his dome light and held up his .45 and racked the slide. The cars took off.

The kidnappings, carjackings and murders continue unabated. You hear of bodies being found nearly every week. Some are illegals dead of exposure, dehydration or snakebite. some are drug deals gone bad or executions. The carjacking and vehicle thefts around the McAllen, Rio Grande Valley area are so numerous that they rarely get mentioned on the news anymore. It has been an adventure around here the last 3 years. I have seen and heard of things that I never thought I would see in the US.

I said that if Obama got elected that I would be packing my bags to go back overseas. That turns out to be prophetic. The company I am with told us they are scaling back their domestic operations. With the anti-drilling atmosphere from this new administration and the recent drastic drop in oil and gas prices, the domestic market isn't worth it anymore.

They told us that they woud be shutting down these rigs soon so we should start looking for a job. Looks like I will be heading back to the Middle East soon. At least it will be a lot safer than here on the border!!!

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check with Cabot, Range, Chesapeake and Anadarko. Looks like drilling just might pick up this year up here. There are a few others, but I can't think of them right now. They contract the drilling itself, comes as no surprise. Unless you wear antlers, not much chance of getting shot around here. If you know LlamaHDT, check with Dean Lowrey and tell him pagaslease.com sent you. Might get you a beer up Houston way. Or not. He's not a close friend, but might remember me.

14. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Need any help, I could use a new job.:D

OGM

15. Minuteman

Thanks Ghrit. But one of those four is the one I am getting laid off from. I know that PA is picking up. There is still work in Montana and Wy too. But I am getting to old to chase jobs. I have been thinking about going back overseas for awhile now. I need to get with a company that I can finish out my career with. There is one that has been after me to come to work for them for some time now. My international, and in particular, Mid Eastern experience makes me a top candidate. Have turned down 2 offers just this past week. So I can afford to be picky and go with the best company that I can wrap up my career with.
    Besides, my Arabic is getting rusty. Finally learned how to speak it and I wind up in South Texas!

16. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

The animal word has it covered too!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Seems like domestic drilling should be on the verge of taking of a'la the late 70's. The lower gas prices were never intended to last. Just the cheese to keep the avg American driver on the road as much as possible.

Hmmm I need to look into gate guarding up here in MT! Bet they don't get paid as much as guards on the border area leases... Then again life expectancy up here has to be much longer. I really could use the peace and solitude.

Byte

18. E.L.

Stay safe, don't take chances, keep a gun on your, and make sure your magazines are topped off.

19. enough

enough Monkey++

How about the guy in the news, in AZ, who has caught 12,000 illegals over the last several years. Now he is being sued by one of them, because he kicked one of them.

... Heard it on Glenn Beck....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7