Report: Iran, Russia Reach Enrichment Deal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's envoy to the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said Saturday the Islamic republic had reached a "basic deal" with the Kremlin to form a joint uranium enrichment venture on Russian territory, state-run television reported.

Ali Asghar Soltanieh, envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency, "spoke of a basic agreement between Iran and Russia to set up a joint uranium enrichment firm on Russian soil," Iranian state television reported.

It remained unclear, though, whether Iran would entirely give up enrichment at home, a top demand of the West, or whether the joint venture would complement Iran's existing enrichment program. Enriched uranium can be used to fuel nuclear reactors that generate electricity or to make atomic bombs.

"Only issues regarding technical, legal and financial matters remain to be resolved which need more deliberation and exchange of views," the television quoted Soltanieh as saying Saturday in Moscow.

Soltanieh made the comment on the sidelines of an energy conference. Russia and state television gave no details on the deal.

In February, Iran and Russia announced that they had reached a "basic agreement" to establish a joint uranium enrichment venture in Russian, but details were never worked out.

Iran has vowed it would never give up its right under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty to enrich uranium and produce nuclear fuel.

The United States has accused Iran of using its civilian nuclear program as a cover to build weapons. Tehran has rejected the charges, saying instead that its nuclear program is geared merely to generating electricity.

The U.N. Security Council has given Iran until April 28 to cease enrichment of uranium. The council has the power to impose economic and political sanctions.

But Iran has rejected the council's demand and announced earlier this month that, for the first time, it had enriched uranium with 164 centrifuges — a step toward large-scale production.

The United States and Britain say that if Iran does not comply with the Security Council deadline, they will seek a resolution making the demand compulsory.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Looks like he might not get full of 9mm holes just yet.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I remain amazed and astounded on this media hangup on the number of centrifuges. It is irrelevant to the production of enriched uranium for fuel or bombs. The only effect is to speed up the process with more centrifuges. The art and science of enrichment is pretty well known, it's a matter of hardware. FWIW, commercial power reactor fuel is only slightly enriched in comparison to bomb grade. Without quoting numbers exactly, it runs to some 10X greater enrichment, and the closer to bomb grade you get, the more time (in the centrifuge) and energy it takes to get there. So, start with the idea that before a bomb can be considered, power is needed. I've forgotten the figures, but our efforts at bomb making involved the use of several thousand spinning machines and many recycle steps to get to bomb core grade materials.

The subject of plutonium as a byproduct of a power reactor is left for another rant. Suffice it to say that separating the plutonium byproduct is more intensive than isotopic separation, taking even more machines and power. (And can also be used for power fuel, if you've a mind to do the needed work. Much more hazardous than uranium in the handling department.)

They are years away. They do NOT represent a war threat at any level yet. They DO represent an economic blackmail threat, and even that is sort of toothless. If they do the stupid and cut off the oil, they are shooting themselves in the foot, as I see it. Where else and how else will Iran get the credits they need to build more centrifuges, or develop other means to concentrate the isotopes if they don't export oil? Also, FWIW, the previous mid east oil embargoes simply sold the oil thru middlemen, and that will happen again. Cash flow to the intermediaries is entirely too important for the flow to be cut off.

The Russian collaboration is interesting as well. They know, as do we, that a nuclear war or terror option approaches a mega headache for the entire world economy and stability. I like the idea that someone other than an insane bunch of camel herders are involved. If nothing else, some control over the fuel will be exerted, and believe it or not, control is one thing the Russians are good at. Besides, the old adage of massive retaliation would come into play pretty quickly after the first missile is hurled out of the mid east. There will be no question where it came from and little doubt that there will be a nice glassine surface for Air Force One to land on (after things cool down) for the inaguration of the governor of the 51st state.

So far, it's NATO. No Action, All Talk, much mouth music to create hate and discontent. The mullahs are simply raising cain for the sake of popularity and to draw attention from their own depravity against the Koran. Sure, we would like to be liked and respected, but if that isn't there, these toads are akin to a flock of seagulls, little more than an irritant. If we coddle them, try to make friends of them, we will be further castigated and shunned as wimps. That is their culture. They will understand control and the lash, and even tho' that will simply drive them into the hills and continue to irritate, we will know which hills they are in and can do what needs from there.

Thus spake me, and me only. :(

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

ghrit,
    I agree. It's a lot of talk and I can't help but wonder why all the saber rattling over this one. A soverign nation has every right to procure whatever means of alternative (to oil) energy they see fit.

Why on Earth Iran is shouting out about Israel and the US is beyond me.

It's going to get us into a bombing run or two at the least.
    I think i remember the UN 'sealing' Irans plants a few yrs back.
    None of this makes much sense to my thick brain

I've said it before, but the definitions are all a matter of perspective. Freedom fighter or insurgent/rebel is all a matter of who you are rooting for... IIRC, the fledgling USA was once viewed as insurgents on the world stage. Nowadays called terrorists

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Agree. The fuss is over the potential weapons program. The general agreement remains to prevent "nuclear proliferation." The meaning to anyone with half a brain is to prevent more weapons, not peaceful uses. We and the other bomb owning nations want to retain the bomb, and keep it out of anyone else's hands. Maybe dog in the manger thinking, but we've taken our ball and gone home. The thinking is that us owners can be trusted, but the new kid on the block cannot, even if he brings his own ball. And, as we all can see, the newbie just might use his ball on his neighbors with little if any provocation.

Youve nailed the landing on that. We (and the Israelis) are the bugaboo, the bogeyman if you will, that gives the mullahs a focus outside of themselves. We have rightly backed the UN with regard to Israel's right to existance since the partition. Israel is a long standing focus, simply because of the events set in motion by the Brits in '48. Jews in Palestine? Super way to create H&D, have a controlling interest give away your land, however useless it is in the grand scheme, to an outside competitor with a specious claim. This muslim jew hatred thing was not something that has been going on for time immemorial aside some tribal fits along the way. Southern Europe went thru a LONG period when Jews, Christians, and Muslims coexisted rather well and mutually benefitted from trade and cultural mingling. There was not always some sort of friction (but witness the Crusades.)

Yes, the plants were sealed by the UN (Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty) with Iran's grumbling cooperation and consent some years back. I think it was a month or six weeks ago, Iran unilaterally broke the seals and sent the UN compliance oberver teams home. The UN could get enforcement troops in the field after a few hundred thousand manyears of yakking, and by then the plants would be up and making power. The question of the day is whether or not that power would be used for civil benefit or weapons development.

At this time, those toads are shouting and carrying a toothpick. We are just as stridently telling them that we will cut their toothpick in half with a chainsaw. Teddy Roosevelt, where are you?

But you knew all that --

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Good posts, ghrit [winkthumb] [boozingbuddies]

7. Quigley_Sharps

[ditto]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7