request to borrow a muzzle cutter in .30 cal

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mage2, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I am bubbaizing a 303 enfield (long story but lets just say someone started this process long before I did.)

the barrels riffling is toast on the end and i have now shortened the barrel to get rid of the damaged rifling.
    I would like to borrow the muzzle crown cutting tool if someone has one so that i dont have to buy one for this one off project.

anyone willing to loan the tool out?

i want to make sure the end that i cut is flat and even for accuracy sake.
    thanks

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Any recrowning I have ever done, was on a manual lathe....
    Preferably a Hardinge.

3. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

can i borrow the lathe then? ;)
    im not going for target just want to have a backup hunting rifle

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

LOL!
    Mine is a 1939 cast iron demon....
    9" over the bed, and 36 inch long bed....
    Heavy monster. (400+lbs)
    I Paid $800 for it about 4-5 yers ago, to an man in his 80's.....
    "IF" I had been there a week sooner, I'd have an old Bridgeport Mill too!

5. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Yea that will do it, so should i PM you my shipping info?
    haha.
    well i figured it would not hurt to ask.
    i dont want to sink much $$ into this old beat up thing go i might just have to say close is good enough and go from there

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As long as you are bubbaizing, there are a couple things you can do, starting with a careful hacksawing to where you think the rifling is OK (I think you did that already, no?) Make sure the cut is SQUARE with the bore, and file to get there if it isn't. Beg, borrow or steal a high speed die grinder (your Dremel doesn't have enough snort) and a very hard (carbide is better than high speed steel) round burr some larger than the bore. (3/8 should do for a .303 bore) and get after it gently with the burr centered in the bore. The round burr should self center if you don't apply any side forces. Watch for the chamfer to be equal on all sides, and see to it there is no metal upset into the bullet's pathway. If there are some upsets, you might be able to get them out with a jeweler's file.

Now, don't do this if you have the coffee shakes. Disclaimer: I have NOT done this and won't stand behind it. But if I were doing the bubba thing, I'd give it a try.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Couldn't hurt!
    I thnk it beats counterboring, but I have done neither....
    Shotgun barrels yes, but they are simple!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7