Retreat Requirements: List them here

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by phishi, Aug 9, 2005.

1. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm not asking for wish lists based on you winning the lottery. What I would like to hear are what features you are looking for in a Retreat. Skip the basics. For instance we all need water, but what do you consider optimal; flowing like a river or still like a pond, cistern or well........you get the idea. Post what you think are crucial and what would be icing on the cake.

Feel free to talk amoung yourselves......

Phishi

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Defenceable
    good soil for crops in case of long term
    good graze for critters to feed me later
    game to suplement meat I raise
    trees for firewood and possible building if needed
    prefer water in well and pond, pond backs up well if needed for potable
    water as well as if needed for fire controle and can be fished but wont
    bring NBC to you if those become a concern
    stocked
    OWNED if you dont own it or at least rent/lease it others likely would think of
    the same place and may or may not have more claim, you would fight to
    save your family...count on it, so would they so removeing them is likely to
    mean a body count, make sure you have the claim to it

There would be the short list on requirements.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Good points MM

Now, is Rural the way to go in looking for land? Or is sub rural on natural trade routes, (major rivers, etc) an important option?

4. monkeyman

Given a choice I would go with fully rural, you can still trade with the locals but dont have so many refugees or whatever comeing that may want a lot of things but not to trade for.

5. phishi

Rural as in isolation, or rural as in a farm in a rural community?

Phishi

6. melbo

trying to refrain from adding a bias........

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That is a tough one. If it were extremely rural, you would have the opportunity to farm and hunt without outside pressure. Of course that could be a problem too. MZB attack, medical help a long ways away. A rural community is probably the best bet. Where you either have enough land for a smaller scale garden, or you could put up a community garden, and you would have the community for help, be it medical or security from MZBs.

8. phishi

What? Who? Me!

Phishi

9. phishi

For the record your honor, I did not lead the witness......

Phishi

10. melbo

did we reach consensus here?

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My vote would be for a rural farming community area with as much isolation as possible. Usually fertile land, possiblility of a good food source, farmers tend to be used to treating their livestock quasi-medically so they have some inherent medical savvy, they tend to be isolationists so, with a little effort, cooperative arrangements might be forged. Don't mean to insult anyone, but keep the true city people as far away as possible. I'm talking about those who think milk comes from a carton, chicken from the Colonel, and that a cow walking in your direction is getting ready to attack them. I want to be in the company of strong and courageous pioneers who are ready to do whatever has to be done. Just my opinoin.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Looks like concensus to me. I've sorta advocated a group for several reasons, not the least of which is diversity of talents. The "group" can/should be semi rural or more so, and located off the beaten track to limit the intrusions. And, of course. of like minds about individual rights to privacy, and group needs for talent and abilities.

13. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

I'm with RightHand and Ghrit on this. I'm looking for a rural place with at least half the acreage I now have. Small community or small town within 10-15 miles, high ground, with lots of trees. My clan is not isolationist, but we do like space to wave our arms about. Nearest neighbor now is 1/2 mile away. Wish me luck in my search.

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I don't remember where I read it, but one survival source claims that living at least 1 tank of gas from a major metropoltan city will significantly increase your chances of survival in any SHTF scenario.

15. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

My observations, so far, have been that the average person has 1/2 or less than a tank of gas in their vehicle at any given time. That will limit their travel distance, I think. But that would still get them an average of at least a hundred miles. Hmmm.

16. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Rural / remote, river and springs. For generating power when solar and wind don’t work.
    Also having Ballistic advantage in the location.
    In a canyon with a cabin and shop and a cellar.
    Lots of timber. Out side of easy walking distance from a road.
    Wild Game and surrounded by hundreds of miles of public land.
    Near the heavy snow line so one can forage for wild onions and mushrooms and roots etc.
    In the <ST1:pLACE>Rockies</ST1:pLACE> for the abundant big game for food and clothing if needed.
    [FONT=[/IMG]I]
    [/FONT]

17. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Requirements pretty much exactly like what I'm moving to in just over a month. With the rest of the family.

Roughly 40 acres.

Rural Community - 10 miles from small town & 50 miles from large city.
    house itself only 50 yards off the road, but that road is 2 miles off main
    road with 4 houses in between.

Likeminded, food producing, self reliant neighbors, many related. Only possible drawback being some Klan in the neighborhood, but since I'm not in a targeted group, they would likely be beneficial.

Water - Hand pump well 20 ft. from back door, small pond about a hundred yards away.

Lots of trees - Walnut, Pecan, Apple, Pear, Oak and Hickory for fuel.

About 10 acres of pasture w/cattle barn & fencing.

Crop Field up the hill.

Large backyard garden.

Small Greenhouse

Workshop/Shed

Lots of deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, dove

I'm pretty jazzed about moving up there. I just need to add a pigpen and a smokehouse and I'm pretty much set.

18. monkeyman

On the 'tank of gas from metro' thing it becomes pretty open ended and subjective IMO. First off figure that a lot of folks only have say a 12 gallon tank on the most common cars and get around 20 mpg so that would be around 240 miles, in my state at least I dont think you can get 240 miles from the nearest metro without getting closer than that to the next one. So we look at the fact that most of them only have aroun 1/2 tank and it cuts it to 120 miles, still a little touchey but may be doable in some areas. Then comes the biger things though, if they are not in the very first few to leave then in any SHTF situation traffic in a metro area would be the worst rush hour times 10 so at least half their gas is likely to burn waiting to move and once a few dozen cars run out of gas in the drive lanes, since no one will let them merge to the shoulder even if they tried, then the main routs are blocked. If they do make it out of the cluster then they are more and more likely the further they get to find gas available to keep on going.

My basic point is that there are to many factors IMO to be able to even determin how far 'a tank of gas away' is and if you do then its dificult in most parts of the country to be over 125-150 miles at most from a reasonably major city. To me the biggest thing for this part of it is to be off the main routes through the area and at least 5-7 days hike from the cities, so say 70+ miles and further is better as long as the job market will allow you to sustain there in present times since if you are haveing to race the other folks out of the metro to get there then it may not work well for you.

19. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Your right MM. I think the tank of gas is just a general rule of thumb. I think 100 mile distance would suffice. You make a good point on being off the main routes too. It wouldn't be much good to be 100 miles from one city but just off the main path to another.

Most refuges' in a SHTF scenario would be traveling main thoroughfares and heading towards major metro areas.

Doing "what if" threat assessments prior Y2K, one scenario was a threat from gangs and other MZBs who would flee military curfew and controls in the cities and prey on the isolated, virtually lawless rural areas.

Being off the beaten path and a good distance from the cities would lessen this threat considerably.
    Not everyone can afford to live in such an isolated locale tho. So one good option is a nice piece of property to use as a hunting lease or vacation property etc. during normal times,but having contingency plans to bug out to it in an emergency. And being off the main routes between cities would make that much easier and safer.

20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Small communities will tend to get very protective in times of duress. I have witnessed this while working disasters in rural areas. It takes more than owning the title to a property that you visit a few times a year to become part of a small community. With that said, many of us still plan to bug towards areas that we have no rightful claim other than owning some property. I have toyed with the notion of starting a small retreat on property owned by relatives and placing a full-time care-taker familly, like a hunting camp/working farm to acclimate into the community. I don't mind the notion of being James Smith's daughter's husband that has the horses down at their old place. He brings friends in to hunt several times a year and they seem ok...and Bubba has a sweet deal, they let him farm that back forty and all he has to do is keep the main house stocked with firewood and chase off a poacher once in a while. I think a hunting retreat/working farm would be the ideal answer to setting up a survival community. A co-op could be set up to finance the purchase of said property, reducing the member payments to a minimum. Annual dues could be paid to subsidize improvements such as additional housing and storage. Group standardation of equipment and supplies could be designed to facilitate preparedness and with a little proper planning, the care-taker could actually turn a small profit. Produce from the property could be preserved and stored or sold, as is necessary but would have the working infrastructure in place to survive and support a small community.

1. Motomom34
  2. Motomom34
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7