Reretired .mil? REAL ID and you

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Aug 2, 2021.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The military is issuing "REAL ID' *compliant* id cards. Started this Jan. Since I'm one the 10% that never gets the word....thought I'd share this.

Bring your old retiree card and passport, drivers license - you need two other forms of ID to get a new military ID....

I've heard of some really lamebrain crap, but this takes the cake....two other ID in addition to your retiree card. Must mean a whole mass of fake .mil ID are floating around out there....

end message//

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Got ours, didn't require anything other then your DD 214 and D.L as long as you are in the system and the address on your D.L. matched with is in the system!

3. DKR

I retired in 1994, so 'in the system' has different meanings....

Just thot I'd drop a heads up.

Oddcaliber, Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was in the liquor business for over 30 years and there are all kinds of fake IDs out there, including Military IDs. The only thing that I haven't seen was a fake passport...too expensive I guess. You could get a fake drivers license and matching SS card from Europe for $150 back in the day, maybe $200 now...and they were so good that they would fool the ID scanners.

SB21, Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I've been living under a fake identity for 55 years now and have never had my I.D. questioned; I am really Donald Trump's son, jus sayin'.

SB21, oldawg, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Is there any special markings on it that states "Real ID"?

SB21 likes this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Mine is just fine for several more years. No need for any double-secret permission slip to travel or anything. Don't use it as an ID anywhere but on base anyway. Sometimes I'm surprised nobody questions it, since after 22 years of retirement I look nothing like the heavier, short haired, clean-shaven guy in the picture.

SB21 likes this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Not especially, but it's supposed to be impossible to fake it! Looking at it, it has several imbedded layers of semi transparent markings that are visible to the naked eye, as well as others that are only visible under black light, or other light frequencies, and they have the magnetic strips that must read what is on the card it's self and provide the essential details of YOU, name address, Service #, all that!

Wild Trapper and mysterymet like this.
  9. Wild Trapper

My most recent ID was issued in 2018, so I'm guessing it is maybe not a "Real ID" - well it is an ID, but like any other DOD ID it does not show an address and has some kind of bar code on the back.

Since I don't plan to travel outside the US, I probably would not be interested in changing it. As a side note, I do have a valid passport and my driver's license will probably be one of those "Real ID" things in about a month - due for renewal in Sept.

Ura-Ki and mysterymet like this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I had the option to get a "Real ID" or just an ordinary DL and I went with the ordinary DL. No fuss, I renewed online, which was nice.
    The "Real ID" does actually take the place of your passport, which I find to be a very attractive upgrade, especially since passports are really old school and unnecessary in this technological age. However, with the current plandemic fear campaign going on, I'd imagine I won't be taking any plane trips overseas any time soon, if ever. I wonder if the EU countries will adapt to the changes. There's no way I would want to leave my ID with reception upon checking in to a hotel, and it might require them to scan your ID into a system/database. Something to think about.
    There are pros and cons to technology, and I remember when this was first being talked about many years ago. As a veteran myself, I don't really care about the chip in the card or my information on file. I do, however care about identity theft and the many millions of illegals looking to acquire your identity, and that's something the politicos care absolutely nothing about, unfortunately.

Wild Trapper likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Do not be fooled, that a “Real ID” is the same as a Passport… A passport has specific information on it that is specified, by International Law, and it would be very hard for the “Powers that Be” to change those requirements.. Notice that your Passport, only has your name, birthdate, State of birth, picture, and State Department Number on it… No State of residence, No Address, nothing that gives more information than what is above.. A Passport is the Ultimate Gray form of ID.. And is what I carry when away from home, unless I am driving… Local & State Police do NOT have access to the State Department PassPort Database, and even most of the FEDs have to make a special Request, to gain Access…I have had Cops get very upset, when I present my Passport, when requested for ID, because it tells them exactly NOTHING about me, except that I am a US Citizen, and protected by my Constitutional Rights… I get the “Don’t you have a Drivers License?” My answer is, “I wasn’t driving” … Then they get this Long Stare, and Stupid Questioning Look, and if they ask anything further, I just refuse to answer, and then they get mad, or give up and go away… If they get mad, I ask for a Supervisor to be called, and then they get upset, because they know the Sergeant isn’t going to be Pleased, to get called out for something this stupid.. as an ID Check, and that usually gets them to go away… Hey I am 72 years old, and what else is more entertaining than to mess with a local Cowboy Cop, for a few minutes…

12. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Drivers licenses that meet the Federal "Real ID" standard may be used for boarding domestic airline flights, but you MUST have a passport to travel to another country, unless they make a deal with the U.S. to accept our "Real" ID's in their country. Don't hold your breath: such deals always require the U.S. to accept similar documents from those other countries, and many third-world nations have notoriously lax standards for recording births and deaths, so passports are still the international standard.

From a Prepper perspective, here's what is going on. Uncle Sam has been craving a way to force individual citizens to carry national ID cards every since the McCarthy era. Our government is getting it done by the back door, by requiring all 50 states to meet "Real ID" requirements when issuing driving licenses. When all the states are "in compliance," the federal law-enforcement apparatus will have a way to quickly ID any license holder anywhere in the nation, so that you'll be required to use your "Real" ID to buy a train ticket or a bus ticket in addition to an airline ticket, and the Effa-Bee-Eye will have realized John Hoover's wet dream of being able to track the movements of every person in our country.

These "Real" ID's will, of course, be required when applying for a job, since most employers are required to verify citizenship status before hiring. Since the "Real" ID will be a unique token that identifies an individual, any company will be able to run your "Drivers License" number through a commercial database which will spit out the opinions of your former bosses, your former teachers, and your former military commander, all in the few seconds it takes for a data base dip. The captains of industry have wanted this capability ever since they bought their first mainframe, and now they're going to have it: they tried to use Social-Security numbers for that purpose, but their was such an outcry that Congress didn't dare authorize the changes to the laws that were needed to make it possible. Now, "National Security" will be the justification for the greatest loss of our freedoms since the Sixteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified.

Well, guess what: your tight arsed seventh grade teacher's comments about you "backtalking" because you told her not to use the "N word," and your first foreman's instructor's sarcastic judgement you're a "union agitator" because you told him that you wouldn't hold the gate while he drove out early, and your former squad leader's judgement that you weren't "disciplined" or were "disloyal" because he hated having to pull out a dictionary when he asked you to explain why you wouldn't behave as if you were as moronic as he will now be living in the belly of a very large and very vicious beast. I sit here, typing this warning, and I realize that I was part of creating, feeding, and training this beast that will now be on guard and ready to bite me if I try to rent a boat in Burlington, Vermont after I've been placed on a Federal watch list for writing this.

In the immortal words of Walt Kelly, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's all well and good, but one day the Real ID or whatever follows will be used at least. The thing we should bear in mind is that it's not the technology or the method that is the problem, it's the criminal corporate government.

14. DKR

How a Passport Can Help you Fly Domestically

The U.S. passport book and U.S. passport card are both accepted as ID for domestic flights.

You may not have heard about the U.S. passport card before. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel, but it is still a great ID to have in your wallet.

• The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) accepts the passport card as ID for domestic flights.
    • Use the passport card when entering the United States at land-border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Do not use it for international air travel.
    • The passport card only costs $30 for adults if you already have a passport book, and only $65 for first-time adult applicants.
    • The passport card has the same validity as the passport book: If you’re over 16, your passport card is valid for 10 years. If you’re under 16, your passport card is valid for 5 years.

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I use my Passport Book for ID, when required, as most people who ask for ID have never heard of a Passport Card, but ALL know what a Passport Book looks like and what it is…

16. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I'm with you: I never saw the point of spending for a card when a regular passport would do as well, and can be used anywhere a U.S. Citizen is welcome.

17. Wild Trapper

Pretty hard to stamp those passport ID card too!
    My Passport has a few stamps.

1. Brokor
  2. Illini Warrior
  3. Witch Doctor 01
  4. duane
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Yard Dart
  7. ghrit
  8. 10brokenpromises
  9. tulianr
  10. CATO
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary