Book Review Review of The Survival Template by John A Heatherly

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by melbo, Aug 10, 2011.

1. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

Thanks Trapper. The ideas presented have worked for me in the past and I am applying them now when wrestling with new problems and opportunities. Sometimes this stuff is easy and other times more difficult. I really appreciate your wisdom and your friendship.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My thoughts on John's book, delayed by storm cleanup and priorities set using the template -

A refreshingly simple approach to life in general (not only applicable to prepping) with emphasis on taking it step by step. Guidance for setting goals for the next step to ensure Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs is met (both “now” and in the future) is held between the book’s covers. As named, this is a template, not a detailed set of blanks to be filled in by the TEOTWAWKI prepper, but a philosophical approach with wider application than simple preparation for your favorite anticipated interruption to life. John does not do your thinking for you.

A very proper emphasis is placed on writing out goals. John strongly suggests the use of a hard journal rather than some sort of electronic device. That, to me, is well taken advice if your favorite interruption to life includes loss of power.

Buy John’s book, it will lead you into another way to think.

kellory, CATO and Falcon15 like this.
  3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I bought one of those fancy journals too...but am still working on my cursing...I mean cursive. Oh to be able to write with quill and ink.......
    journal.

4. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

As others,I have been delayed in responding to this excellent book that John wrote.The survival template is a must have for anyone who desires success in life.I have read Johns book several times in the past few weeks and found it to be vitally important to those who are serious about their objectives and goals in life.
    John gives an example of several people whose lives were changed, if not saved by using the same process that John has laid out for us. The main difference being ,we can prepare ourselves now ,instead of later, when we may not have the luxury of time.
    I have had the great privilege to have met and spoken with two great men who where both P.O.W.'s in Viet Nam. Both men (Col. Nick Rowe and Capt. Eugene "Red" McDaniel,USN) suffered greatly at the hands of the enemy but survived their hardships by using many of the same techniques that John has Mentioned in his book.
    I could continue extolling the virtues of this fine book, but it would be best to read it and glean from it all of it's wisdom! I truly feel that this book is a "must have" for people who desire to have a more than average life.This book should be in everyone's library as a guide!

kellory likes this.
  5. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

Ghrit - Thanks man. I have found that using the "blank" template also helps me to uncover hidden ideas AND hidden abilities. Over time the repetition of the process leads to more, or better, etc....

Gotta run for the moment but will discuss more with you guys in a bit.

6. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

Guit_fisN - That journal is similar to mine. Currently I am reading The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin, who would have rather had a journal with him than a camera or a tape recorder.

Sapper - Have you read Scars and Stripes by Eugene McDaniel? A friend loaned it to me - awesome book and amazing transformation.

Sapper John likes this.
  7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

8. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

John, Yes...I am fortunate to have an autographed copy.Capt. McDaniel is counted as a personal friend of mine.He is from my hometown and I was able to visit and talk with him just a few weeks ago when he came back home to visit friends and family. He is an incredible Human Being and American! His book is a must read for insight of the "Survive Anything" mentality that many people will need in the days ahead.

9. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

That is amazing! I would love to meet Capt McDaniel someday. His story is incredible and I agree: everyone should read his book.

Sapper John likes this.
  10. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

Anyone read Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot by Stockdale?

11. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

I have taken my time and soaked up this book. I had to take time and think through the processes and this book has helped me to visualize the changes I want to make. I think this would be a good guide for anyone wanting to make improvements in their lives. I like the simplicity that this book offers. I am going to start writing down my goals more often! Thank you so much for your work in getting this out to people!

12. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

Hey thanks Yoldering! Is there a particular survival skillset you are focused on right now?

13. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Getting into better shape. I wrote to try and take a fast paced hour long walk each day (currently 30 minutes) and jump rope 15 minutes each day and increase as I go on the 1 month, 6 month, etc... I have also set other goals too.

14. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

For me the combination of walking and occasional, brief intense exercise is really effective. A long walk everyday or as often as possible and then a few days per week of jumprope with calisthenics with little rest between sets. Doesn't take but a few minutes and I am worn out! Found this quote recently: "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world."
    ~Paul Dudley White

15. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

I will add it to my growing library...thanks for the tip

16. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

Thanks Gunny. Message me if there is anything I can do to help you or if you have any questions or comments.

17. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

Thank you for supporting The Survival Template so far! I am pleased to announce a new ebook - The Medicine Symbol - ($1.99 for the ebook and also available for $6.99 in print.)

I really appreciate your friendship and your support that has made the book a success.

18. JohnAHeatherly

JohnAHeatherly Monkey+

19. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Awesome! I can't wait to get a copy....When I can get the funds together!
    Fantastic reviews!

20. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I took this book with me to deer camp, after having read it once over several days. There was quite a bit stuffed into a small package, and i wanted more time to think about it and absorb it.
    I think it fits really well from an organizational perspective with the way that i plan work, home, and organizational chores. I'm looking high and low for a computer version of this planning method, preferably ipad-based. Does anyone know of a good program that would work? I've tried several, but haven't found anything that fits the 'template' perfectly.

1. john316
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid