RIA .22 tcm for self defense

Discussion in 'Range reports' started by oldman11, Nov 9, 2015.

1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

That's the .22TCM9r, the only difference between the two is the bullet. The .22TCM uses a 40gr factory projectile, and the -9r uses the 39gr factory projectile. Armscor created the -9r so the round would fit into a standard Glock17 9mm magaine. It's a funny looking round when you hold it in your hand.

That's the conversion kit I'm running in a Glock 17. I have a set of reloading dies that will work with either round (again, it's just the OAL difference between the two factory bullets), I just haven't used them because I bought a case of -9r ammunition so I would have reloadable cases after I shot them all. Then I was going to slowly work up a load to the fastest velocity I safely could.

That was the plan, but the reliability is only 90% or so. I went and bought an aftermarket slide (Rockslide USA) with a bunch of lightening cuts, hoping to increase the reliability. The conversion recoil spring is weaker than the stock unit, and sometimes fails to get the stock GLock17 slide into battery. Maybe the lighter slide will help, maybe not.

HK_User likes this.
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

My RIA .22 tcm is still good to go. Not a stoppage in over 2000 rds. Great gun
    [flag]

HK_User and gunbunny like this.
  3. gunbunny

COOL! There's always a chance of problems with conversions. I take it your RIA was made to shoot .22TCM, one of the 1911 models? Armscor makes good stuff.

HK_User likes this.
  4. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Yes it is one of the 1911 models. No problem when shooting .22 tcm or 9mm,very good gun. Although the price is way up now. I have the rifle also that had a problem,after two years I returned it and they sent me another new one that’s one of the most accurate guns I have. I strongly recommend Armsco as a good company to do business with.
    [flag]

gunbunny and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. gunbunny

I've only ever seen pictures of the rifle, I never seen one "in the wild" so to speak. I would love to have an AR-15 pistol chambered in .22TCM, but like 5.7x28, .357 Sig, and even 10mm, the straight blowback action of the bolt is accelerated too fast and travels too far rearward before the bullet leaves the barrel and has a chance of rupturing the casing.

At the very least, the casings are bulged too much to make them recoverable to a full length resizing during reload. Lee makes the "bulge buster" die for 9 and 10mm, and if I REALLY wanted to have a pistol caliber carbine, I guess I could add one more step to the reloading process, and resign in the fact that the casings aren't as strong as they once were. I'd have to adjust the powder charge lower and accept a slower bullet flight, defeating the only real reason to shoot .22TCM- the speed!

CMMG is now making the Banshee series, where the blowback action is radially delayed by way of a modified AR-15 bolt. This is promising, as the chance of case rupture is eliminated by holding the casing in the chamber for a few milliseconds while the bullet exits the barrel and pressure is dropped.

Good stuff, the only problem here is finding a barrel chambered in .22TCM to mate with the CMMG banshee 9mm radially delayed blow back bolt. The barrel would have to be custom made- since .22TCM isn't popular enough- there is no aftermarket support for it. Couple that upper receiver with a pistol caliber lower running standard Glock magazines, and you could have a nice little weapon that would be flat shooting in the close range and light recoiling.

The term used would be a PDW (personal defense weapon), as it is too short to even be called a carbine and is technically classified as a pistol by using a brace. I think an 8" barrel would be really nice for this caliber in the PDW form.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Alll you have to do with the RIA 1911 is change the .22tcm barrel and recoil spring to the 9mm barrel and spring and you have the 9mm ready to go. Both the .22 tcm and the 9mm from the same frame are then good to go.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The .22 tcm ammo is $21.31 when ordering direct from Armsco As cheap as 9mm or cheaper now. Good company.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. gunbunny

I finally got the chance to shoot my shoot the Glock I specially modified to shoot .22 TCM9R this last weekend. I had a couple of hundred rounds with me, plenty of targets, nice weather... Everything you could ask for. I had one problem that I didn't know I had- my Glock magazines didn't work!

A little background is needed into this problem. When I normally shoot 9mm, 40 S&W, or .357 Sig I use Glock 22 or 23 magazines. I never had a problem with them feeding or holding these three rounds. I learned pretty quickly after shooting a match or two that it was worth my time to only buy the 40 S&W magazines, and they served my needs without a problem.

When loading .22TCM9R into the GLock 23 magazine, they would not stay contained in the magazine by the feed lips. I would put maybe one round (it was hit or miss) and then load another and they would burst out like a fountain. I never bothered to measure the cartridge rim of a .22TCM in comparison to 9mm, but there is obviously a difference. When I shot the conversion kit before I had installed it into my trusty old Gen2 Glock 17, using it's Glock 17 magazine, and shot it without magazine problems. I hadn't tried a G22 magazine until this time.

So, all I could do was to load the pistol while the magazine was still in the pistol, and let the ejector hold the top round in place. This reminded me of my old Mauser C96 I used to own way back in the day, except I didn't have any stripper clips. When loading the rounds individually through the ejection port of the slide, partly into the barrel to let the rim of the case clear the ejector, and then down and back into the magazine.

The last round I inserted directly into the chamber. Carefully pushing down on the first round in the magazine with my finger I would manually release the slide until the first round in the magazine was under the breech face of the slide, then tap it into battery. Normally one shouldn't do this with a Glock because the extractor is a MIM part and doesn't respond well to being forced over the rim of a cartridge, but I had to do what I had to do to get this thing running. It was manually laborious, tedious, and time consuming in comparison to loading magazines like I am used to, but that's the way it had to be at the moment.

Here are some pictures to show how it was:

IMG_20200816_182749941.

IMG_20200816_182808996.
    I was able to reliably shoot the entire 15 rounds out of the magazine in this manner. I only shot about half the ammunition I brought with me, but my modifications worked well. The factory Glock 17 slide was a little heavy for the .22TCM, and would sometimes not travel rearward all the way to eject the old casing and pick up a new one, but it would reinsert the spent cartridge back into the chamber and reset the trigger. The result was dropping the striker on a already fired, empty case. This would happen about once a magazine, which is far, FAR too often for me to put up with.

I solved that problem by getting an aftermarket slide (from Rock Slide USA) that had a bunch of lightening cuts to it. Normally, I'm not a fan of having a bunch more holes in my slide than the one's it normally came with from the factory, but this is a special occasion. Some of the Armscor .22TCM conversion kits came with their own slides, which had a bunch of lightening cuts made into the top of the slide in the form of deep grooves. This looked a little weird to me, but I understood the reason.

I opted to not get the Armscor slide because I wanted to try the caliber as inexpensively as possible. I did not want to spend much time or effort if the cartridge failed to impress me, and I would only be out a couple of hundred bucks. It was worth the try, though, as this caliber is really growing on me. It's hard to quantify how loud and how bright the round is going off, in comparison to how little the recoil is, to how it almost goes through 1/4" mild steel. Keep in mind this is out of a 4.25" barrel in a standard frame Glock, sending a 39 grain .224 projectile 2100 fps. That's pretty cool.

Ganado, Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I’ve never had a fail to feed or fire with my 1911. Great caliber!
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

.22 TCM and .22WMR cary the same velocity 2,000 FPS
    What is the advantage ?

11. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

.22 tcm velocity 5” barrel=2000fps
    .22 mag velocity 5” barrel=1400fps
    .22 mag velocity 18” barrel=2000fps
    I might be wrong