Rifle Range Love

Discussion in 'Range reports' started by MountainMariner, Jul 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Baking bread this morning so I had to redeem my man card self by shooting the 30-06 Remington Long Range and Sendero 300 Winchester Magnum. I would have shot the 338 Lapua but at 1000 that's a joke and my man purse would have been damaged too much. Even the 30-06 and 300 have no issues with 1000 but neither can go much further because my elevation dial up runs out on both. (20MOA bases with 50 MOA elevation scopes) I could stretch them out further by holding the MIL dot but too much math. That's the downfall on Mil reticle and MOA adjusters. Actual target range is 1014 yards at the ponds far edge. My 1 mile (1760 yard) target is above on the hill plateau.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ganado, Dont, GOG and 8 others like this.
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Salted Weapon, Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

This is my project in the works. Detachable mag next addition, then the "can"
    Rem 700 STS Varmit 308 was the starting point. Chote LH stock and the Vortex Viper PST 6X24X50 FFP MilDot reticle
    image.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Salted Weapon, GOG, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  4. MountainMariner

I have that Mildot Master also. Everyone needs one if your electronic ballistic computer is unavailable. But I use the ballistic computer for weather and altitude inputs, etc. Those Trijicon scopes are old and stupidly setup but they dial correctly and box test out perfect, plus the glass is incredible on them. The green illuminated dot is great for hunting too. Which both rifles are setup for. Heavy to carry but I outsmart the super lightweight hunters/backpackers by shooting the smaller animals to pack out. Lol.

5. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I run a Vortex Viper PST 6X24X50 FFP

Love it for the "MILDOT range and any mag" but hate it for the retical size @24.

6. MountainMariner

I two Vortex HS-T 6x24x 50's. Mil. They lack in elevation dial up also but both those rifles (338 & 308) have 40MOA Ken Farrell bases and are zeroed at 400 yards. Those rifles aren't carried around at all since the 308 weighs about 17 pounds and the 338 is 16.5 pounds.

I plan on getting two new scopes for the 308 and 338 but haven't quite decided which $2,400.00 dollar scope I want yet. That and I don't feel like spending 5k on glass just at this moment in time.

GOG and AD1 like this.
  7. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Believe it or not I got mine after searching through the business section of Snipershide.

NY Camara was have a 1day sale on Vortex. It was 20 minutes before they closed when I called.

I got the Viper for $710 when everywhere else was $1000.

Sport Optics Overview | Camera Land NY

BTW Your bolt is on the wrong side [sarc2]

8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  9. MountainMariner

Don't tempt me. I have other projects with higher priority than new rifle scopes. Plus if I buy two new scopes I'll be obligated to buy two more new rifles for the lonely old homeless scopes.

10. duane

duane Monkey+++

With my eyes, I don't need a good scope, I need to train my dog to make all the long range shots. a beautiful range and nice guns, thank you for sharing them and the view was enough to make my day. Two thumbs up for winning that view.

GOG, Altoidfishfins and AD1 like this.
  11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

That's mandatory, don't you know?

AD1 likes this.
  12. MountainMariner

Yes I do. The rifle shooter fanatics handbook clearly states that old rifle scopes are not to be sold. They must be mounted to newly purchased rifles asap.

AD1, Yard Dart, Dont and 1 other person like this.
  13. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

And then must be replaced with new glass for the new stick, once again leaving the old glass ready for the next purchase. Kinda' like gun guy perpetual motion. :p

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

15. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Looks like the perfect place to practice.

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@MountainMariner 'redeemed your manhood" [LMAO][bow] I had no idea baking bread put your manhood into quesiton.

DOes chenging the oil in my car make my womanhood at risk?[own2]:lol:

17. MountainMariner

I'm looking hard at these three scopes. Probably landing toward the Vortex AMG. I just recently saw a listing of the top competitive rifle shooters and what brand scopes they are currently running with (and winning) and the Vortex scope users outnumber the other brands by a wide margin. It used to be Nightforce and German scopes dominating. But if you can win with a scope that does the same thing for half the costs...why not?

Vortex AMG 6x24x50 which has 28 Mils elevation (96 MOA)

Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5x27x56 which has 33 Mils elevation (114 MOA)

Nightforce ATACR 5x25x56 which has 34.9 Mils elevation (120 MOA)

AD1 likes this.
  18. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

MountainMariner likes this.
  19. MountainMariner

It would. If your guy was inside baking bread while you did the oil change. Lol.

Ganado and ghrit like this.
  20. MountainMariner

Way ahead of you. Already seen that. It's #1 on my wish list right now.

1. Bishop
  2. OldDude49
  3. survivalmonkey
  4. Bishop
  5. Seacowboys
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Bishop
  9. chelloveck
  10. Bishop
  11. survivalmonkey
  12. Pax Mentis