Rifle/Shotgun Combo Guns?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by nfa, Sep 18, 2008.

1. nfa

nfa Monkey++

I like the sound of these, but have no experience with them...

The Savage Arms Model 24 looks cool, as do the combo guns made by Baikal (although I can't find an American dealer for these).

I would appreciate any info or opinions that you have on these or other combination rifle/shotguns.

Thanks,

Jamie

2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

If you are interested in just a rimfire/shotgun combo, Remington has a Combo SPR series, and I do not know if Springfield Amory still makes the M6 which had an actuall lever mechanism as a trigger(I tried it a while back, felt wierd shooting it).

Now if you are ineterested in buying and centerfire/shotgun combo(which is known as a "Drilling", pronounced as dryling, other than the mass produced Baikal models, these are strictly custom handmade weapons that can run into thousands of dollars for their cost. Hope this helped a bit.

3. toemag

toemag Monkey++

I don't like them, they are very popular here in Germany/€urope.

I had one in 7X57R(rimmed cartridge)/12/70, I'll just say that it had issues, like it would go off while you were setting the hair trigger, so I got rid of it and bought another AR15.....

Tony

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I carry one of those Springfield .22-.410 survival rifles in my BOB. The barrels are wrapped in Para-cord and there is a knife bolted onto the stock. Inside a stock compartment is a storage for a few shells, one of the shotgun spaces has a water-proof match box and a few fish hooks.

5. adkpete

adkpete Monkey+++

I have a Savage 24 CS 22rf x 20 ga, it breaks down into a small package. It's pretty dependable for getting game and such. The only draw back I see is single shots in either barrel.

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I belive I found what you are looking for.;););)
    870mcs_AxxWpn.

7. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Learned to shoot rifle on a Savage 24C and broke my wife into shotguns with the same one which still belongs to my father. She liked it so much that when I found one for a steal at a gunshow I snatched it up.

IMO they are heavy, but better made than the M6. Sights are not great, but no worse than what I remember when using the M6. I would look for one of the older models as the new ones seem overpriced. The 24C was made to breakdown into 3 pieces, other 24s are available in other calibers including 357 mag, .222, and 22WMR over 20 and 12 gauge IIRC. These have longer barrels, do not breakdown as easily IIRC, and again IMO, don't balance or handle as well as the shorter barrled 24C. In fact, if you want a 24C you have to buy used as it was discontinued from Savage's line.

My thoughts on giving it to my wife were that with the 24C, a reliable magazine fed semi auto rifle, and two semi auto pistols of respectable caliber, one would be both well armed and have potential to take most eastern game at short to reasonable distance while bugging out. I also believe that for certain home defense scenarios an individual who has minimal firearm experience might be well served by the simple controls of this firearm. Loading and cocking this weapon is easily mastered, and the weight of the steel and wood would make for a wicked club if the first round missed.........

Just my .02,
    phishi

8. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

9. nfa

nfa Monkey++

Thanks for the input everyone...I like the looks of the M6 and the 24c and the SPR94...where, beside gunbroker, do you guys look for used firearms?

Thanks,

Jamie

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

you can check local "pawnshop"s (but beware of ridiculously high prices)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7