1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Rifled chokes for sabot or just stick with rifled slugs?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Blackjack, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Ok, I've decided to start using my over/under 12 ga (Red Label) for hunting deer. I found a scope mount that will attach to the ribs.

Question is... are the rifled choke tubes so I can use sabot rounds worth it or should I stick with rifled slugs?

Do the rifled chokes work ok? Anybody have experience? 3 inches seems a short distance of rifling to stabilize the projectile, but I guess 3" works in handguns, eh.

My internal debate so far:

1) Sabot ballistics are impressive if they work ok with just a rifled choke instead of a fully rifled barrel.

2) Sabot ballistics aside, I have cleanly taken deer at 100 yards with a 20 gauge rifled slug through a smoothbore 870.

3) Sabot choke costs $65 and rounds are $3 each, where rifled slugs are only a buck each. So after 30 rounds sabot = $155 and slug = $30

Any thoughts on this?
  2. drat

drat Monkey+++

rifled chockes for sabot or just stick with rifled slugs?

buckhammers sabots look good. they might let us hunt w/ a .357/.44 rifle this yr. but they will shoot just about 100 yds. too. if it was me and i can shoot R.S. fine then i would shoot them.becuse of the price you can shoot 3 to 1. a muzleloader will let you shoot a long way. and cost about $1.50 ea. [touchdown]
  3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Hey, Hey Drat! You're in Indiana too?

I've heard rumors about allowing pistol calibers in longarms but I haven't found anything to substantiate it yet. Do you know anything?

This would be cool as I'm planning on getting a 357 mag lever action Marlin this year.

btw, Buffalo Bore Cartridge Co. makes some serious whoopass 357 and 44 loads for hunting. http://www.buffalobore.com/
  4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

INDIANNA? I'vedriven through indianna (chicago to indy) not much out there...didn'seeyou..Must've had your head down..
  5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

[peep] Wellll, I saw you. [peep]
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary