Rifled chokes for sabot or just stick with rifled slugs?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Blackjack, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Ok, I've decided to start using my over/under 12 ga (Red Label) for hunting deer. I found a scope mount that will attach to the ribs.

Question is... are the rifled choke tubes so I can use sabot rounds worth it or should I stick with rifled slugs?

Do the rifled chokes work ok? Anybody have experience? 3 inches seems a short distance of rifling to stabilize the projectile, but I guess 3" works in handguns, eh.

My internal debate so far:

1) Sabot ballistics are impressive if they work ok with just a rifled choke instead of a fully rifled barrel.

2) Sabot ballistics aside, I have cleanly taken deer at 100 yards with a 20 gauge rifled slug through a smoothbore 870.

3) Sabot choke costs $65 and rounds are $3 each, where rifled slugs are only a buck each. So after 30 rounds sabot = $155 and slug = $30

Any thoughts on this?

2. drat

drat Monkey+++

rifled chockes for sabot or just stick with rifled slugs?

buckhammers sabots look good. they might let us hunt w/ a .357/.44 rifle this yr. but they will shoot just about 100 yds. too. if it was me and i can shoot R.S. fine then i would shoot them.becuse of the price you can shoot 3 to 1. a muzleloader will let you shoot a long way. and cost about $1.50 ea. [touchdown]

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Hey, Hey Drat! You're in Indiana too?

I've heard rumors about allowing pistol calibers in longarms but I haven't found anything to substantiate it yet. Do you know anything?

This would be cool as I'm planning on getting a 357 mag lever action Marlin this year.

btw, Buffalo Bore Cartridge Co. makes some serious whoopass 357 and 44 loads for hunting. http://www.buffalobore.com/

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

INDIANNA? I'vedriven through indianna (chicago to indy) not much out there...didn'seeyou..Must've had your head down..

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

[peep] Wellll, I saw you. [peep]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7