Rigging a Z-Drag: How to use a "Rope" to lift

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by GrandpaDave, Jan 7, 2012.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

very nice, thanks. Please do keep the tips & tricks & rope usage coming. Once of my weaknesses is knot tying and rope usage.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dovey

Dovey Monkey++

This is some good information and equipment I should keep in the boat. Then I starting looking on line for the pulleys and my first stop at a rescue supply company, $75.95 per pulley. Yikes! Do you have any suggestions for more affordable equipment?

I do realize when it's needed you don't want to skimp on quality, but if it's not affordable in the first place, it's not likely to be something that most would have on hand.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Dovey, You are looking in the wrong Stores.... Go look in a Marine Hardware Store down on the coast. You will find Blocks, Pulleys, and all sorts of rope and cordage, available are fair prices. Rescue Supply Stores market to .Gov and they know that MONEY is easy to come, by due to ALL the Federal Grants available to those outfits. Consequently the prices there are higher..... .... YMMV...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, just make sure the chandler doesn't depend on well heeled yachtsmen. Find the commercial suppliers. Cultivate the unpretentious shops and try to bargain.

5. Dovey

Dovey Monkey++

Thank you guys, I will be looking around. This is such a good thing to know how to do. I'm going to get some friends and practice doing this.

GrandpaDave, thank you for posting this. More please!:)

6. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Also you can find a lot of good bargains in surplus and old fashioned hardware stores...
    I've bought a lot of climbing gear off craigslist too... lots of folks take up the rock-climbing hobby only to give it up when they figure out how much work it is :D
    then they take best offer on their old gear

BTPost likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7