Road Kill.... would you eat it?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Jun 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Some of the top 10 'Myth's' in the South are Grits, Possum's and the remanding 8
    Figure out what's missing?
    Its an long running and inside joke, But you never heard it from me!

Ganado likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Only if its canned....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  3. chelloveck

4. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

ewww gator is gettbeing grumpy lately first he is the grammer police and now he is the road kill cop!!!!
    y so much much hate hand bob?

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I need my coffee....

Dunerunner, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Found out that deer hit with a Harley is not good, once I got out of the ER and got a ride out there, well, wasnt much left of it after the night critters got to it..
    Used to have "gleaners" here that would get called out on any road kills. The deal was that they got to keep half the meat and the countty took the other half for the county jail and the food pantry.. Word got out that we where feeding road kill to the prisoner's.. The lib's got worked up and the county shut the program down..A lot of meat layed out there going to wast and now we are permited to legaly salvage the kill's with the sheriff's consent.

Gopherman, Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Think on road kill as tenderized meat--lol. Have a "road kill chart" about 2'X3' in a frame that am going to put in the cabin. Have picked up several deer as there is a crossing out both of our drives. Usually 4-5 hit every year. Saves a bullet unless they are not dead. Have used a hand gun on a couple injured and then bled them. My wife is a better deer hunter than I--she has hit four and totaled one car.

Dunerunner, oldawg, Gopherman and 5 others like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol gator glad you got the joke... u grump =) here. [coffee][coffee] your double dose ;)

I have never tried pepsi. I will try that.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. chelloveck

The -06 Family Road-killster....:eek:

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  10. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you, Broktor, for that video of the roadkill.

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Moose-a-roni
    Moose tips with sour cream sauce
    Moose bits + mushrooms + noodles + beef broth
    Moose Stroganoff

Moose burgers don't work unless you mix in a big handful of fat - very lean meat, a mooseburger will just fall apart on the grill. At one time we'd been eating so much moose, the kids were begging for a "real" hamburger.....

We ate so much salmon when the kids were small, I can't stand the smell even today. But it beat being on food stamps.

Dunerunner, BTPost and kellory like this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That's one use for bacon drippins --

Dunerunner and BTPost like this.
  13. Cathail

Cathail Monkey++

Ganado, never cooked moose, but can't too different from deer. The key is to get as much blood out of it as you can. When we shoot deer (southern state), we gut it, skin it, and quarter it the same day. Place in ice chest with ice and water, for no more than 3 days, changing the water and adding ice every day. Then cut the meat off the bone and return to the ice chest for 2-3 more days of soaking, again, changing water and adding ice every day. Finally, cut the meat into smaller chunks (fist size or smaller) and soak in ice and water again for 2 more days (changing water each day).

I typically grind most of the meat, adding in fat that I've saved and frozen throughout the year, pork shoulder, and bacon (which also adds flavor), into burger, breakfast sausage and italian sausage. There's rarely any left over by the beginning of the next season. If I shoot a particularly gamey buck or don't recover it immediately, I'll use the meat to make jerky or summer sausage, which involves more spices and salt to cover up any gaminess.

Ganado likes this.
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

We gut, skin and bleed out hanging same day, and as long as it is cool enough, carve it up in 2-3 days. If warm it will be done same day. Meat gets washed down, and placed in trash bags in coolers, and iced down.
    We have never had a problem with gaminess, or too tough.
    For burger, you do want to mix in some suet, or it will be very dry.
    As for the rest.....I think you are working harder than needed, but do as you like, of course.
    One year, I turned three entire deer into jerky. Not because ofna taste issue, but because I love the jerky.;)

Ganado likes this.
  15. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK, let's get control of ourselves, Road Kill means there are vehicles on the road... this is SHTF time of day, there will be no "road kill"...

What I'm wondering is that rat that I shot last night, whats the best way to prepare it, roasted, or stewed?

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Best use is as bait for the 'yotes.

Ganado and azrancher like this.
  17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

mmmm barbequed yote, good eating, I can't wait...

1. JC Refuge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. ditch witch
  6. Ganado
  7. Zimmy
  8. chelloveck
  9. Ganado
  10. Ganado
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid