1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Roadside Pencil Light

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by <exile>, Feb 24, 2008.

1. <exile>

<exile> Padawan Learner

<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/726251/turn_a_pencil_into_a_light.swf" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="345" width="400">
    Turn A PENCIL Into A LIGHT ! - video powered by Metacafe
  2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

That's great in case of emergency!

Thanks for sharing!

Hmmm... I wonder how strong the battery has to be to make this work?
  3. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

75% of the people today would do much better making sure once every 6 months they have a charged flashlight in thier car with an extra set of batteries .

It's a neet thing to know but since you're burning the pencil "lead" how many people would burn themselves trying it ?

Or worse blow up the car battery .
  4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I was thinking "science experiment" and wondering if the same effect could be achieved with a smaller battery.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Yes, it could, but. The demo was done with a 12 volt car battery. I would not expect a (say 9 volt) to glow as brightly, and being MUCH smaller, the glow wouldn't last as long. The key element is the ability of the pencil "lead" to conduct the amperage. A couple things stand out in the vid, one of which is that it is pretty high hazard from burning or igniting something, not to mention burned fingers. I don't know what the resistance of pencil lead is, but looks like it might be low enough to behave nearly like a dead short, dunno how long any given battery might last in that service. All that said, it could be a life saver somewhere along the line. (NB, it might be also used to start a fire in a pinch.)
  6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Knew a similar trick from a youth mis spent enouph to associate with folks spending a lot of it locked up figureing out how to light smokes with no lighter in jail. They would strip the wood back on a pencil leaving the lead then short it in a light outlet and ignite the eraser then use it to light a smoke.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary