Roofing advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mariesays, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Mariesays

Mariesays Monkey

What are some of the most durable and long-lasting roofing options available on the market today? What are the pros and cons of different materials such as metal, tile, slate, and shingles in terms of longevity, maintenance requirements, and cost? Are there any specific factors such as climate, location, or architectural style that should be taken into consideration when selecting a long-lasting roofing option? And finally, what are some tips for finding a reputable and experienced roofing contractor who can help ensure the installation is done correctly for maximum longevity and durability?

2. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Metal roofs all the way! Longlasting, durable, and good for snowy areas too.

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Metal is hands down the longest lasting and most durable IF it's epoxy coated both sides ( Not just Galvanized/ Zink or other metal treatments) and it's installed correctly, it's also pretty easy to repair should it be damaged like mine has been, due to falling trees and limbs, as well as serious winds and epic snow loads! All the other materials have pretty significant downsides you need to think long and hard about before making your decision! Tiles are fragile and break, chip, or crack so often that i'm surprised they are even still available/legal or that any insurance would cover them, and if you have a decent amount of snow/freezing conditions, a BAD choice. Composite has a shelf life and breaks down over time, and that gets super costly when it comes time for replacement, it's also pretty fragile and dosn't do well in areas that are prone to high winds or significant snow/ice. Traditional Shingles are unobrainium unless you live in Canada or Alaska and have unlimited access to Cedar, or your so wealthy that you can have it imported in, ether way, it's not prone to rot ( Unless you don't keep up on treatments) and is a pretty significant fire risk, especially in high risk environments ( Ask me how I know) Slate or Stone is going to be super expensive, and even the Stone Composites ( Which are prone to the same fatalities as tile) are a poor choice in areas with lots of rain or snow/Ice, especially freezing conditions which makes them pretty much a waste of time and money!
    Having been a Hot-Shot fire fighter, I have seen it all, in all sorts of climates and terrains, and I can tell you which hold up and which do not, and like I said above, Metal is the best choice going across the board! If there was any downsides to metal, it's a lack of insulation ( Which you would counter internally) and noise ( Which I find oddly calming and peaceful) so there is that, but when it comes to durability, metal wins it all hands down!

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I'm kinda stuck with 20-year composite shingles because of the look of the house that I live in (fyi, I have looked into metal roofing and unless it had the look of composite shingles I would have to live in an ugly house). Besides, I will only have to replace the current roof once more in my life-time.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  5. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

FYI if you live in a Hurricane prone area insurance companies will only cover you with hurricane insurance if your composite roof is less than 20 yrs old. Know for experience I had 40yr shingles that were 26 ys old the roof the shingles were still in great shape. Could not find a company to insure until I put a new roof on. Roofer told me there is no sense in putting a 40 or 50 year rate shingle.-they won't cover more than 20 yrs. Metal roof is a different story they will cover those for almost ever.

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and Tempstar like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

@Mariesays help us out here.
    give us a general location and housing type.
    Are you in Montreal, Santiago, London, Porto Rico or Alice Station?
    Are we talking a simple 4/12 pitched roof, does it have dormers and valleys or is it a quansit hut.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Alaska, metal Roofing is the way to go, if you can afford it… Snow slides and sheds best off metal roofing…

sasquatch91, Alanaana, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  8. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Weird that you'd be talking about roofs AND moving internationally.

techsar, Alanaana, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Marie is sus at the moment. Content is a bit ... off.

Alanaana, Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Marie is an AI sent here to learn to interact with people.

SB21, Alanaana, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I dated some girls back in the day that reasoned like this, so maybe it's legit.
    Meaning they had 2+ personalities

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    SB21, Alanaana, Cruisin Sloth and 2 others like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Metal.

Alanaana and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I had to dismantle a 80 year old cabin with a corrugated steel roof and it never leaked. even though it was old and the nails holding it were working their way out it was still water proof.
    I used that metal on another structure that is still water proof.

SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
  14. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

The only negative thing I've ever heard about metal roofs, is the use of screws with silicone washers, to attach it. Never really looked into it, but I've heard that the washers will become brittle over time, and then stop sealing around the screw hole. Probably something I'd put on a 5 year maintenance inspection, with replacements as needed.

SB21 and Alanaana like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7