Ruger 10/22

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by monkeyman, Aug 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Who all here has a Ruger 10/22 (or a clone of one)? Do you have any hi cap mags for yours and if so what mags have you found to work best? Dose Ruger make hi cap mags for them at all since the ban went away?

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No, Ruger doesn't make hi-caps to the best of my knowledge. They sold out a long time ago. Bill Ruger was no friend of the 2nd Amendment.

I bought mine used, not a cent went to Ruger. I think I have tried them all. The Eagles break along the back spine, Ramline's are okay. My favorites though are the Butler Creek's, especially the ones with the steel lips. You can even load them with the Hot Lips loaders.

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I own 2 Ruger 10/22's - and I didn't buy either of them. One was a gift and I won the other one.

Can't tell you about the high cap mags since I've yet to shoot either rifle (yeah I know another thing I really got to get around to doing one of these days).

4. E.L.

Deja vu................. [deadhorse]

5. TLynn

It is not my fault I do not care for .22's. I learned on 30-30's and 30-06's.

6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I too have had problems with the Eagle brand ones.I have two ramlines and they are fine after years of use but the feed lips get worn and one is cracked and missing part of it but still feeding reliably.That is the only thing I don't like about them.I have never tried the Butler Creeks but if they have metal feed lips then I am definitely going to get some.
    The 10/22 is a first rate rifle.I have had two of them and they both were deadly accurate.A great small game rifle.

7. E.L.

I really like mine. I finally cleaned it about two years ago, after thousands and thousands of rounds. During some of our big rabbit hunts, I would go through a brick in one night's shoot, and lots of times I would use more than a brick. I bought it in 94' and cleaned it in 03'. What does that tell you? No, I keep my guns clean, I just wanted to see how much it could take. It kept coming back for more. Finally it got to the point where it was tough to move the bolt back, and it was starting to gum up and I was having a failure to feed every now and then. It is a great design, and it more reliable than an AK. Silenced it would be even better. I think I need another.

8. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

My son will shoot a 550 round carton in two trips to the range. First and last thing he does, is pull the bolt back and look in the chamber, and put it on safe.
    It's about time to start working on positions with him.
    10/22 is a good gun, it's a Ruger, so it's reliable. With the aftermarket barrels, it can shoot with any match chambered 22 ever built.
    [deadhorse]

9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

My son has the all weather model and my Daughter has the 'hammer forged' target model. Pretty. Had a leuplod vari X 3x9 on it.

I've never had consistent luck with any 30 round mags. I think I got rid of them all and bought more 10 round rotaries. Just not worth fooling with IMO

10. monkeyman

Yeah, I know I love mine. Grew up shooting an old 10/22 carbine my dad has and now have my own in rifle variation, its what I use to 'catch' the chickens since I screwed up an ankle pretty bad chaseing one for dinner a couple years ago. Now I stand on the porch and shoot a rooster in the head, the rest come to attack him as he dies then strut around and make nice targets of thier heads. Shoot as many as you are up to cleaning that way. lol Thats also one reason I like to have a hi cap mag or 2 for it.

11. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

12. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have had the same luck as everyone else. The Eagle are junk, the Ramline tend to split down the seam after awhile. The Steel hotlips are the best if you can find them.

13. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

The modification kits are endless.Here's a couple of more....
    krink_568. opengun22_365.

14. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My mothers rifle is a 10/22, wooden stock, factory sights. Mine is a much newer all weather model. I've always liked the feel, but my eyes are having trouble with the "hi-viz" site I had installed on the front. One of my next purchases is to AO sights for some replacement sights.

Only problem I've ever had was a piece of the bolt, maybe the extractor, popping out. Only happened once, and has run great since. I really like the feel of this weapon, very quick to shoulder.

I've added a sling to it, and velcro strapped a GI compass pouch to the right side of the stock. This allows me to have 2 more mags on the weapon. Not a bad way to carry them. I envision this to be a weapon that my wife would be comfortable with, some thing that is an ongoing process, LOL.

Phishi

15. TLynn

So what everybody here is basically saying is I really need to go out and shoot one right?

Sigh...

16. monkeyman

Well, its a gun that can be had for generaly under $200 and you can feed it 1100 rounds for around $15. The gun dont jam much even with minimal maintnance, so for cheap fun target shooting I dont see anything to beat it and they're also pretty darn accurate so are good for small game getting.

17. TLynn

I guess then since I own 2 of those 10/22 things I'd better go try at least one of them out...sigh and I was so hoping to avoid that for another oh 5 to 10 years. [peep]

18. E.L.

You don't know what you are missing TLynn. There is nothing like running a brick though one in an evening.

19. monkeyman

While the cheap clips will cause a few jams you can also pick up 30 round clips for them from Cheaper than Dirt for like $15 and go rip off a bunch of rapid fire if you want without breaking the bank, also makes it a bit more realistic as a defence gun since whil being shot with A .22 may not stop an attacker, 15 to 30 holes from a .22 in the torso SHOULD stop most any attacker, and these can be connected together as jungle clips so you empty one, flip it over and pop the full one in, that can be fun from time to time. :D

20. TLynn

An AK-74 is fun, a SKS is fun...

Shooting a 22 is fun???

If you guys say so

1. natshare
  2. oil pan 4
  3. Oddcaliber
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Brokor
  6. Brokor
  7. RouteClearance