ruger 10/22

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by sasquatch91, Oct 28, 2011.

1. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

whats your favorite mod youve done to your ruger 10/22? post pics!

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

No pics right now, added a bipod, a 30 round mag, and a flash hider....
    Stock was accidentally cracked on a trip, so we "tiger striped" it after repairing the stock ( had some nasty scratches). It's all better now!

3. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

were do you order your products at?

Kingfish likes this.
  4. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Basic Mods only

Here is what I have done with mine..

Mod 1
    Ruger® 10/22 Rifle - adjustable aperture sights

Mod 2
    http://www.gunblast.com/images/TacticalSol-MagLatch/DSC00325.JPG

Mod 3
    This was a do it yourself idea I stole from God Knows Where..
    Take a shot gun butt stock shell carrier like the one pictured below
    Hsc Shotgun Shell Holder00685 By Hunter'S Specialties

Cut the seams between every other shell carrier and insert you stock 10/22 mag. Carries three extra mags right on the stock. Simple and Sweet. Plus it follows the KISS rule.

Never Ever buy a ProMag Ruger 1022 .22 LR Magazine..real POS

Gafarmboy
    If you can not protect what you own, you won't own it long

Kingfish likes this.
  5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I bought everything here from a local gun dealer, about 7-8 years ago.
    Dang! I just checked on my older Ruger and it has been modded by camo paint and a cheap scope added! Need to address that issue soon!

Kingfish likes this.
  6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I has to be the Tech-Sights. Genius.

Kingfish likes this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have the stainless "WallyWorld Special" - 20" barrel, rifle-style birch stock, overall silver finish.
    1) Refinished the stock to "Honey Maple" - that Gawd-aweful Ruger finish HAD to go! Couldn't see any woodgrain. And..... blondes have more fun!
    2) Honed the trigger/sear and installed lighter trigger spring - that 'Lawyer Trigger" needed work!
    3) Bought more magazines.
    4) Installed matching silver base.rings and 3-9X40 scope - completes the ensemble.

Don't need nuthin else - it's a Twentytwo, not an end-of-the-world Tacticool Zombie Stopper.......

I use it as a 'benchmark' 'New' .22 rifle to test my old vintage twentytwos against - and the old rifles are usually better shooters!

2r5g5sp.

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Mine is locked up in my cache but is an older one. Walnut stock with open sights. I have 6 30 round mags for it. Its my third back up for home defense . Ill use it when I run out of .223 and 30-06. For hunting I use a Marlin 981T Bolt action .22 rifle. Its a tack driver compared to the stock 10-22. Kingfish

dragonfly and BTPost like this.
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I love our 2 Rugers, with the laminated stocks in a grey/blue finish, stainless hardware and large .22 magnum scopes. Not quite as good as the older Marlins with tubular feed mags, or the .22 magnum Marlins. As a brush gun for bunnies and the like, they do quite well. We put the raised scope mounts on them so we can use the iron sights when we want, or the scopes if needed.
    One thing, we added the quick release levers on the magazine wells, because it was always a problem to get those tiny rotary mags out!
    So I also went with larger and longer mags!

Kingfish likes this.
  10. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

not my gunbut a pic of what it looks like, all ive got is a ruger sling.dont know what that stock color is called but i like it.

Attached Files:

Kingfish and dragonfly like this.
  11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Yessir! That's exactly the 2 models (laminated stock and stainless) we have !
    Ruger also made ( not sure today) a International Carbine where the stock went clear to the end of the barrel! It was ok, but nothing I got excited over...It also came in the laminated and stainless version!

Kingfish likes this.
  12. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

was thinking on putting a cheaper scope on mine, i dont know if i want to or not yet.

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

When and IF I get the money ( like winning the lotto) I'll put a much nicer scope on the older one! Old eyes need a scope now!

14. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

Carbine model.

Decent scope, stained the stock "ebony" and gave it a couple of thin coats of polyurethane, then went over it with 0000 steel wool to get the glossy off (I hate shiny stuff!).

This little gun has paid for itself ten times over at $10.00 per pop wagering it would take down 8 out of 10 12ga shotgun hulls at 100 yards.

I'd love to "fancy it up" but I just can't justify it. [dunno]

Just whatever you do, don't ask me about my $1000.00 Savage bolt action .22. :oops:

dragonfly likes this.
  15. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/634351794287514329yocxz0zr.jpg

I once tried doing the bull-pup conversion... don't do it... to make it work you have to disable the bolt locking mechanism and then you have this long push rod to work the trigger that not only has a very long pull... it's feel kind of mushy... forget using bigger mags too... they don't clear the front hand-guard...

But it did look cool and everyone at the range came up to ask me about it...

I still got that conversion kit collecting dust in my workshop... maybe someday I'll trade it off for something useful?

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Ok I'll try this....(posting photos new to me!)
    2 of My 3 Rugers...
    camo rifles+ 004.

17. Seawolf1090

BIG pic, but it came over. I use the free downloaded "IrfanView" display software to resize pics for the 'Net. Much easier than Photochop.

18. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Monkey++

Just picked up another 10/22 the other day at the exchange. Love these guns. Now I gotta get it set up the way I want it!

19. bushrat

bushrat Monkey+

After purchasing my first Ruger 10-22 several years ago when I was still in my "bubba" phase, I immediately set forth to create the coolest 10-22 on the block.

Proceeded to add a flash suppressor, bought several hi-capacity mags, and then stripped the stock down to bare wood, sanded and steel wooled it, and painted it black.

I was so proud of it. Then after a few well placed comments from my cohorts following my new membership at the local gun club, I sold it and purchased a new one, which immediately received a new scope and sling. Haven't "bubba'd" a gun since. :)

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  20. Seawolf1090

Hehehe.... like my first SKS. Bubba'd it to the max, then sold it and bought three in issue state and kept them that way.
    My Ruger 10-22 has only the trigger job (due to 'Lawyer trigger'), and refinished wood - just have no desire for anything else. Why mess with what works and looks good?
    I am considering getting a used Carbine model and dropping it into the M1 Carbine style stock that Sportsman's Guide offers - been missing my old Iver Johnson 22M1 Carbine that got stolen years back - hard to find those little buggers now.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7