Ruger Problems.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jim, Nov 2, 2006.

1. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

I don't know why, but the last several Ruger revolvers that I've came across have been shooting wide. The rear sights have been cranked all the way to the left or right just to get them on target. Two still weren't able to get a proper zero because the sight couldn't move far enough to do so. Three of the guns were owned by experienced shooters that also use other guns and don't have this problem. I've never had this problem with a S&W or Colt, not that it doesn't happen.

What gives?

jim

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Is it fair to say you have checked the sight screws for tight? Mine (both) have loosened a couple times and gone wide.

3. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Yes, and everything that we have any control over is as it should be. No burrs in the muzzle either. I'm guessing that perhaps the barrel is bent ever so slightly, or perhaps the bareel mounting hole in the frame was drilled off angle. I just thought it strange to find this in several revolvers of different vintiges, and at close to the same time. Never had a problem with the Rugers I'd owned before.

jim

4. ghrit

Cylinders indexed to the barrel? Seems unlikely that would be a problem unless very well worn cylinder pin or locking bar.

5. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Mine and my wife's SP101's are true, Jim...

On some pistols the front Sight post may be bent. I also shoot Pistols and Rifles Competively and sometimes the problem is ME! (I'm a Retired USMC Recon Scout Sniper) Try using these diagrams and/or get an Air Pistol to see what's happening in the absense of Recoil. Ric

<TABLE class=conh cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%" height=17> AVANTI 747 Triumph Match by Daisy </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- // content header--><!-- content --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>One Year Limited Warranty

AVANTI Model 747 Triumph
    Single-pump pneumatic with side pump lever;standard bolt action. AVANTI's finest match-grade pistol. <!-- special note -->An adjustable piston in the single-pump pneumatic system for consistent velocity maintains pinpoint accuracy, shot after shot. Also features an adjustable trigger and match-grade choked steel barrel. This is a no-nonsense match pistol
    <!-- // special note --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- option --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=dhead width="55%">Item Description</TD><TD class=dhead align=middle width="15%">Caliber</TD><TD class=dhead align=middle width="15%">Max Velocity</TD><TD class=dhead align=middle width="15%">Price</TD></TR><!-- item option --><TR><TD class=bgrey>SIGHTS: Blade and ramp front, open rear with windage and elevation adjustments
    SAFETY: Manual crossbolt trigger block
    GRIP: Molded woodgrain checkered; with contoured thumb rest, left-hand grip available
    BARREL: Lothar WaltherTM rifled high-grade steel barrel; crowned, 12 lands and grooves, right-hand twist. Precision bore sized for match pellets
    WEIGHT:2.35 LBS.
    LENGTH: 13.5 IN.
    TRIGGER PULL: Single-stage, adjustable; 1.0-4.5 lbf. (4.4-13.3N)
    SINGLE SHOT </TD><TD class=bgrey align=middle>0.177"</TD><TD class=bgrey align=middle>360 ft/sec</TD><TD class=bgrey align=middle><STRIKE>$159.95</STRIKE>
    $129.95</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bgrey colSpan=2>Ammo | Accessories Item#:DY747Triumph</TD><TD class=bgrey>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=bgrey align=middle><FORM name=frmBuy711 action=https://pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl method=post><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD><INPUT type=image height=20 alt=Buy width=25 src="http://www.pyramidair.com/i/buy.gif" border=0 name=add></TD><TD> Buy</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks for the charts Ricdoug.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Im willling to bet you have on of the Ruger revolvers with crooked wheel cylinder holes on one or more of them.
    Give a look and see, I bet thats one of them.

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Vaquaero ?

9. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

10. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

ricdoug, can you email those charts, I would like to print them off. My email is gillman7@yahoo.com. Thanks!

11. ghrit

;)
    If you have XP, right clik and save as. Might be even more universal than XP, dunno.;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7