Ruger SR-556 Rifle ReCall..............

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BTPost, Mar 31, 2014.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ruger Issues Recall on Certain SR-556 Rifles

Ruger has issued a recall notice on some of its SR-556 rifles. This is Ruger’s second recall on one of their rifles in about two weeks. The company issued a recall on some of their rimfire rifles earlier in March.

The details of the recall, taken from Ruger’s website, can be found below.

WHY WE ARE RECALLING THESE RIFLES

We have determined that the disconnector in the two-stage trigger system on our SR-556VT™ modern sporting rifles was not properly heat treated by a vendor and that the disconnector can wear prematurely. This, in turn, can result in an unsafe condition in which the rifle delays firing (there is a delay in firing after the trigger is pulled) or doubles (discharging once when the trigger is pulled and again when the trigger is released). Although no incidents have been reported from the field, this is an important safety issue and we are therefore recalling the rifles.

HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOUR RIFLE NEEDS TO BE RECALLED

This disconnector is used only in the two-stage trigger system found in the SR-556VT™ models and no other models of the SR-556® are affected by the recall. However, at this point, all SR-556VT™ rifles manufactured to date are subject to the recall. The SR-556VT™ is distinctive looking as it is equipped with a fixed stock, brushed stainless steel barrel, Magpul® MOE® pistol grip and extended charging handle on the left side. Thus, if your rifle looks like the picture below, it IS subject to the recall. If you have any other model SR-556®, then your rifle IS NOT subject to the recall. If you have questions about whether your rifle is subject to the recall, you can contact our Newport Customer Service Department at 603-865-2442.

If you think you own one of the affected rifles, you should head over to the Ruger website for instructions on sending your rifle in for repair. They’ll even give you a free magazine for your trouble.

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

As long as they aren't complicit in some government program to recall and then hold onto the weapons (or then turn over owner records because the local stores won't hand them over).

Mike likes this.
  3. BTPost

If Ruger ever tried to pull something like that, it would be the END, of their business.... Their customers would drop them like a Bad Cold, ASAP..... It would be S&W English Owners, all over again. They learned their lesson, with the Bill Ruger Magazine Debacle... That little misstep cost them BIG TIME.... and took as Decade, to recover from....

gunbunny and JABECmfg like this.
  4. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

Most AR people should be able to replace this part them selfs. Would be better than sending your rifle off to me.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Ruger controls the sale of certain parts. This part fits their MO of limited access.

6. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

Yes but you can change out the whole fire control group. They did not re-invent the wheel here any AR FCG with drop right in. Ruger has the worst triggers you will find in the first place.

7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Never said you could not do the install of a new trigger, just that it will come out of your own pocket.

8. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

I know, my point was for the folks that are not real big on sending their rifle off, you can put me in that group. I'm one of those keep your hands off the iron guys.

oldawg likes this.
  9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yeah how can you send the rifle off when you no longer own it!

10. firekey

firekey Monkey

when "the day" comes, you'll be trying to prove that you no longer own it, from a jail cell. Cops won't argue with you about it, you'll produce it or they'll lock you up and let you hassle it out with the courts. They have no legal risks, at all, in doing so.

11. BTPost

Actually they would have "No Criminal Legal Risk" .... However they will certainly have significant Civil Risk, in the High Seven Figures, should your arrest, and subsequent Confinement, be adjudicated, without merit, and then you convince a Jury of your Peers, that the .Gov, violated you Constitutional Rights.... This is being used a lot more these days, as a route, to get Justice, from .Gov BS....

12. Toad

Toad Monkey+

I had a folding stock Mini 14 that was in a fire and I talked with a Gun Shop visiting factory representative about getting a new wooden stock portion, he call in my S/N and stated I would have to send it to the Ruger Factory for replacement - my response was Bull shit. I'll pay the factory representative for a new stock right know and send it to the gun shop or my home, no dice. That entails FFL's from and to the factory, adding about $130.00 before the cost of the stock.

13. BTPost

Actually, NO... The Federal Statute (Gun Control Act of 1968', as amended) states that a Long Gun may be shipped to the OEM Factory for repairs, and returned to the owner, Directly from the Factory, with No FFL intervention, including across State Lines. Call the Ruger Factory and confirm that, if you like.

14. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

+1 The man is right. You may be able to get then to send you a pre-paid shipping label even.

15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I don't have one, and even if I did, it would likely have fallen overboard. (I can be clumsy sometimes..) But out of curiousity, do they need to be shipped any special way? (Being a long gun) I've never tried to mail one.

16. BTPost

Long Guns can be shipped USPS, I believe, as long as it is a Legal Transfer, under the Federal Statute. A Pistol can ONLY be Transferred between Federally Licensed Entities, (FFL, OEM, Importer, etc) by USPS, and a Declaration Form MUST be submitted to the Post Office with the Package, in order to be PostMarked. UPS and FedEx have their own requirements.

I receive and send Long Guns to other FFL's by USPS all the time, with NO Declaration. I MUST send the USPS Declaration with each Pistol, I ship, and it MUST go another Federally Licensed Entity, which is certified on that USPS Declaration. Your PostMaster can confirm, the exact Regulations for you, if you ask.

Since there is NO direct connection between Alaska, and the FlatLand USA, many of our visitors drive thru Canada, to get here. Canada has very strict Weapons Regulations, for non-Resident Travelers, so many of them ship their Weapons, to themselves, via UPS, and USPS, at an address, that is local to their visit, up here, and then pick them up after they arrive. they then do the reverse, when returning back to the FlatLands.

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7