Run 'flat'? tyres?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chelloveck, Dec 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Bet I would have those puppies loaded up with mud in our spring mud season...

fmhuff and tulianr like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

production series is intended to have sidewalls for looks and to prevent mud and such from collecting. They do look like they would melt easy though.

4. Dont

Seems thats what the tires looked like back in the early 1900's.. Esp. on heavy trucks..

chelloveck likes this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Those are NOT Run-Flat , there a testing Joke , Balance after a stream or mud pit is deadly .. Total Joke. I have worked on true RF-Tyres .. Rolls type ..
    Sloth

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That was my first thought also. I thought mud, balance, gas mileage, steering.

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Strictly yuppie tacticool show off tires intended for pavement. Put some real torque on them and the hub would spin out--IMO.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Had a Boss, decide he didn't like Flat Tires, all the time, around here. He bought a set of New Tires and Rims in Seattle, had them Filled with Foam, and shipped North. Put them on his Chevy Blazer, and drove around for two weeks. took them back off, and stated "I like the tires, but my Kidneys are going to be Killed off, if I drive around on those, any longer." Lesson Learned.... Unintended Consequences....

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Dont

Have had to stop by the car wash to wash the mud out of the rims, rest of the truck can stay muddy until things dry up..

10. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Tractor tires are foam filled, and that is what the foam is for, low speed.

Only a fool would run them on the street at highway speeds.

Installers will not fill tires for a road style rim unless they are assured that they are for rough country low speed applications.

Why?

Because they will overheat and the foam will melt.

Best run flat setup for road tire and most others is SLIME. I run SLIME in all other off road tires and for off road vehicles that will see Highway duty.

YMMV

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nobody around here drives ANYTHING near road speeds... 20 MPH is Scream'en Fast..... ..... YMMV....

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Understood, I just been putting out hay at idle speed on the old Ford Tractor.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Rolls Royce run flats consist of a huge ring of rubber & plastic that is bolted around the rim Or the rim splits & it's bolted into the center. So when the air pressure is 48-55psi the outer tire is away from the ridged inner rubber rail , when the tire is below 25 psi the inner rubber is now what the outer tire is now running on the inner hard rubber & the ride sucks . These tyres are used on "shadowed"(bullet proof) Limo rides
    RunFlats.
    gbc-safrs.
    tyre_logos2.
    Michelin Pax is a nice idea , but the sidewalls are ruined .
    Sloth

14. Dont

Looks better than that hard rubber plastered onto a chunk of round aluminum..

1. Meat
  2. oil pan 4
  3. hot diggity
  4. HK_User
  5. oil pan 4
  6. arleigh
  7. Motomom34
  8. Yard Dart
  9. TXKajun
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7