Rust and how to defeat it.

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by William Antrum, Jan 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. William Antrum

William Antrum GunMetal Monkey

I have been in the Metal Working trades for the past decade or so after my departure from the rank and file of "Big Brother". But I just recently came across this lil gem of knowledge. Cider vinegar as a rust remover, and let me tell you it removes rust from pretty much anything you put in it. It is a 5% acid solution and it gets to the root of the iron oxide and removes it quick. So far I have tried iron,steel, rubber,plastic and I am sure the list will increase until my shop and the tools there in are clean. There are many links to making your own cider vinegar all over the net. Also one important note you must rinse this acid of and continue to keep your yard sale tools clean ,this is for those of us that "misplace" and later find our weather beaten tools out side. Thanks!

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, back in the Navy, we had "instant" vinegar in crystalline form as part of the galley stuff. Us engine house types would mix some up and use it now and then for corrosion removal. But like the man says, it's an acid and needs to be flushed off thoroughly.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

I have also read on here that is the ONLY GOOD way to remove all the crap off of the cast iron pots and pans {cook wear}...{i think they specified apple cyder vinegar}

Also to prevent rust from coming back I have use a product called enrust and osfo {im not to impressed with osfo in a salt water enviroment} but should be just fine for the average home owner...

Also they sell a cold coat galvanize ...I dont recomend anything i say for cook wear!!!!

JMTC {looking im using interweb lingo} <<<<

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Dumb question but is cider vinager avaible at wallyworld?

I have several upcoming projects,, does anyone know if this stuff is good.
    Dupli-Color :: Rust Fix

chelloveck likes this.
  5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Yes, I'm sure it is available there. We buy it from other grocery stores and typically pick up Bragg's ACV which is often in the Natural section.

6. William Antrum

Yes all these statement are true, but as for "recoating" non stick or seasoned cookware leave it to the pro s we dont need anyone to poison themselves from something the saw on the internet. My use of this natural decruster is for tools onlyand more specificly tools that have been case hardend or heat treated.

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

forv light rust on weapons... use brake fluid and 0000 steel wool...

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I drink a couple oz of ACV a day so we always have lots of it around.

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I use gun oil and 0000 steel wool or gun barrels. Did a great job on the 100year old Sterlingworth SXS.

10. William Antrum

brake fluid and the like contain by there makeup toxic to touch without protection so you may soak items to be cleaned but wear proper ppe for the job.

11. Meds

Meds Monkey

not sure exactly how it works but i remember reading somewhere that running a very small electrical current through steel can prevent rust. might be worth looking in to.

William Antrum likes this.
  12. kellory

It is called a "sacrificial block" of zinc and a trickle of current. used on boats, and antique cars after restorations. The zinc corrodes in place of the steel. zink blocks get replaced when they are too corroded. Car bodies rust because we run power through the steel as the return wire back to the battery. Otherwise, there would be twice as many wires involved.;)

Homer Simpson likes this.
  13. Meds

Meds Monkey

nice to know! thanks kellory

14. kellory

Talk to an auto restorer. They make aftermarket kits too.;)

Meds likes this.
  15. kellory

16. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

You can also use a rectifier on bare steel pipes, the negative connects to the pipe, the positive goes into a grounding bed. Its called an Impressed Current System

17. kellory

How much current is necessary? What type of requirements?

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You want to regulate the current so that you just neutralize the current produced by the Electrolysis or Galvanic action generated between the Metal and the Ground. These are used on ALL METAL. pipelines....

kellory likes this.
  19. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

Current and ground bed size has to be custom fit to pipe size and soil conditions, voltage is around 60 VDC. I just install them and occasionally get bit when I forget to turn them off before tapping a line.

ghrit and kellory like this.
  20. john316

john316 Monkey+++

I have lived in florida for many years
    I use many small hand tools…...taps...dies….drill bits...tips
    some tools you can go to aluminum or SS
    aluminum pipe wrenches are great as well as light
    aluminum framing square…..speed square
    “C” clamps……….get the plated ones
    aluminum drill bits just did not hold up
    aluminum taps……………..same

so.we have tons of BARE steel drill bits,taps,dies.,screw driver tips,screws,bolts
    most of my stuff I keep on a truck
    I worked in the rain a lot
    everything gets wet………...the whole state is wet……...even if it is not raining

I tried putting oil on every thing……...but the oil dryed up
    I tried everything under the sun…………………

time passes

I have been laying out since august 2013
    hadnot been in my truck much……...no work to speak of
    anyway I am feeling a lot better and was looking around getting ready for matthew october,2016
    3 or 4 flashlights………….the batteries leaked….aluminum flashlights...no rust...but dead

should store flashlights without batteries in side!!!!!!!!!

many screw driver tips and nut driver tips were rusted up very bad had not been sprayed
    BUT ……...most of my bare steel I had sprayed with a special spray
    2 tap and die sets still had a coating on them..looked great ...like new
    many drawers of bare steel screws had been sprayed.and look new
    many other screws were rusted perty bad
    3 large drawers of drill bits were sprayed..looked greatest
    6 or 7 boxes of drill bits were sprayed..looked new

I have been using this special spray for 10 years or so.

All this stuff was sprayed before august 2013

This finest kind rust preventer is NAPA house brand Chain & Cable Lube #1370

get it at NAPA auto parts house

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  1. Oddcaliber
  2. natshare
  3. john316
  4. natshare
  5. Witch Doctor 01
  6. Motomom34
  7. beast
  8. beast
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7