SAF Issues Travel Advisory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Aug 8, 2017.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

To Gun Owners: 'Avoid California!'

BELLEVUE, Wash., Aug. 7, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- For the first time in its history, the Second Amendment Foundation today issued a "travel advisory" to firearms owners to avoid going to California, warning law-abiding armed citizens that their civil rights could be in jeopardy due to that state's restrictive gun control laws.

"The California Legislature has been out of control for years when it comes to placing restrictions on the Second Amendment rights of honest citizens," SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb observed. "Right now, I wouldn't suggest to any gun owner that they even travel through the state, much less to it as their final destination.

"Lawmakers in Sacramento," he continued, "either ignored or have forgotten that in 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court incorporated the Second Amendment to the states via the 14th Amendment in SAF's landmark case of McDonald v. City of Chicago. The Second Amendment's protection of the right to keep and bear arms applies to state and local governments, but they seem rather oblivious to that fact in the halls of California's Legislature."

Of particular concern to Gottlieb is the fact that California steadfastly refuses to recognize concealed carry licenses or permits from other states. The state's restrictive laws literally leave residents and visitors defenseless.

"If you are licensed to carry in your home state," he warned, "that license is not recognized in California. It doesn't matter how many background checks you've gone through or whether you took a gun safety course. Your license is no good in the Golden State, which suggests that your safety and the safety of your family are of no concern to state lawmakers or city administrators. You could be prosecuted for having a gun for personal protection, or you might get killed because you didn't.

"By not going to California," Gottlieb said, "the life you save may be your own."

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

SOURCE Second Amendment Foundation

Related Links
    Second Amendment Foundation

SAF Issues Travel Advisory To Gun Owners: 'Avoid California!'

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

What about MD, NY, jerzy?

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Not all states recognize other states. It is not just California. Also by California not recognizing out of state CCW's does that literally leave residents defenseless? if they are a resident they can get a CCW. When I reads hysteria articles like that it makes me think the organization is looking for funds from people who do not read whole articles.

SAF should visit this site- Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

UncleMorgan and Seepalaces like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

@Motomom34 In some jurisdictions, local Sheriff's still require many hours of one on one training on the range and expensive classroom training to gain a CCW permit. In some areas of California, like San Francisco, it is still nearly impossible to get a CCW permit unless you can show a justifiable need and are "somebody of note". Something the SCOTUS addressed in District of Columbia v Heller, allows for ownership in the home for self defense. It never clarified CCW on a National level. California's CCW policies remain untouched by recent SCOTUS decisions. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/

When I lived there, a Sheriff in a community outside San Francisco would permit you to carry concealed if you made a sizeable donation to the department, over $400. I knew of several people who went to him for permits before the Attorney General came down on him. After you get a CCW license, it is good State Wide.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

CCW reciprocity is not the only reason for the travel advisory. California has so many laws regarding what is and what is not permissible and they have those nifty inspection areas where they can go through your vehicle for no reason upon entry. If you forgot about that 30 round magazine the fell down into your spare tire well you might be in real trouble. It doesn't matter if you are traveling through California, like from Western Oregon on your way to Reno you are not allowed to transport anything they have banned even if it's in a lock box and you don't have the key.

Next up, we have the unintended consequences of doing everything you can to disarm the citizens in an effort to "make everybody safer". With law abiding citizens prevented from owning the firearms best suited for defense, the criminal element is having a field day having no such restrictions. I'd feel safer in the middle of an antifa protest in downtown Nutlandia than I would any any urban area in California.

I absolutely love parts of California and would live in Northern California/Jefferson State if it weren't for the laws.

UncleMorgan and Seepalaces like this.
  6. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

have you ever tried to get a CCW in Kali? Not only that but right now the laws of Kali are such that most anything you can own in other states have been made illegal in Kali...

not to sure they are fishing for money... I left Kali cause I could see what was coming...

if ya do the research you may be surprised... like the magazine issue and the ability to change em using the normal system has become a problem there... someone came up with what they called a bullet button... Kali worked real hard to make that illegal as well...

what is happening, and been happening for some time there, is the systematic destruction of the right to defend yourself...

7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

good state wide? not so sure that is true anymore... saw reports some areas in Kali would not honor other areas of Kali CCW's

UncleMorgan likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Why would ANYONE ever want to travel to Kommiefornia, let alone visit that wreck of a State.... Everything that KJommiefornoa has can be found elsewhere.... Cut off their Touristoe Bucks, and maybe they will fix their stupid Statutes...

Tully Mars, UncleMorgan and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never been to California. Never had a desire plus it seems quite costly. I have a friend in CA and she is drowning in debt. They are working more now then ever but cannot get ahead. That is the way it is. I have heard Northern CA is beautiful and great folks but they have lost their state to the city people and their agenda. It has been that way and it will continue. I am surprised that more Cities have not filed bankruptcy. But for all their whack job ways, their schools and education standards are better then many states. Colorado education standards are pathetic.

Tully Mars and UncleMorgan like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

California's education standards are pathetic - they pioneered lowering the standards in order to get students to move to the next highest grade instead of holding them back. If students don't progress or drop out they don't get as much Federal funding.

UncleMorgan and Dunerunner like this.
  11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Don't forget Federal money for schools tied to the school lunch program. There was a conscious effort to sign kids up for the program whether they qualified or not because it meant more federal money for the district.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  12. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

As a matter of course, when I am chasing parts for the things I design, I exclude all business located in Kalifornia because I know that with all the commie taxes and fees, every price they quote will be too high.

A spring that costs $0.15 in Illinois is $6.00 in Kali. (I couldn't figure if they charged that to everybody or just people from out of state. Or maybe just people they thought they could cheat.)

Along with New Jersey, Kali is a place I don't go to or do business with.

Tully Mars and Oltymer like this.
  13. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

I really got to laugh at that... no offense but the school system in Kali is TERRBAD! it's more indoctrination then education

Tully Mars likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I left Cali in 86 and have been only back for two times....funerals. I have no interest in going back...and everybody that I give a chit about, who was there, has been either buried or moved away already!!!!

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You can't fix stupid.

16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have in-laws there. Mom and pop in-law passed away a couple years ago, leaving only sis in-law. She's ok, California isn't. Haven't gone to visit in years.

You don't dare pack a firearm like you can in AZ without a permit. You don't dare carry one in your vehicle either. A co-worker got caught passing through with a 40 round mag and that was before this latest flurry of madness from the legislature. Fortunately the officer only saw fit to confiscate it (probably needed one) and not to arrest.

I know a couple property owners from the BOL who live in California. They store their firearms in AZ in locked shipping containers, and list a P.O. box in Kingman as their billing and shipping addresses so that they can order stuff on-line. I don't know how much longer they're going to put up with the laws that are going into effect after Jan 1. At some point, piled on top of the ridiculous tax burden and piles of other regulations, it just can't be worth it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Friend of mine lived in LA. When he found a OD or hookers on his front porch (yes, really) he moved to a "better" part of town to keep his kid safe. He moved about every six months and I'd go help. Cost of living was horrendous, crime was horrible, panhandlers every few feet, stunk. I could not figure out why anyone wanted to live there.

Getting a carry permit was a joke. Or at least every time anyone walked in to the cop shop to get one the thugees laughed until they threw up. Sure you could BUY one, in SOME areas (same as in Iowa until they passed the SHALL ISSUE due to too many sheriffs selling them), but San Fran? ONLY if you are mega rich, mega connected or a politico. For us commoners? You probably could count the number of "common people" with carry permits in San Fran on the thumb of one foot.

Not sure the permits were even honored state wide either. That's OK, they aren't in Iowa either. The law states that STATE law trumps local law, but every little burg, wide spot and state owned building has it's own rules and regs, so even if the law states that it LEGAL to carry on ALL state owned property, try that and get arrested, get your gun stolen, spend time in jail, spend a mega buck to go to court and win, and they do it again as soon as you walk out!

Can't shoot lead bullets now, can't shoot lead shot, can't own most semi-auto firearms, state bankrupt, over run with illegals, the place just sucks.

Northern Cali is beautiful, reasonable pro-American, and not nearly as bad as the south half, but still run by the same scum.

Motomom34 likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had a child spend sometime in the CA school system. If you think CA is bad then do not relo to Colorado and enroll your children here because it is worse then CA.

Apologize for being off topic. Will get back on topic.

20. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

the central valley is pretty good in most areas as well... it's mainly the Bay Area and LA that seem to be the cause of the current situation there...

and as I recall from going to college in the Bay Area back in 75/76 the profs were already going all indoctro on their students...

figure it's even worse now...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7