Salem OR- Water advisory issued

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, May 31, 2018.

1. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I hear you on that for certain. PM me if you need me to check in on your mil or your son. We have a couple of seniors we check on regularly, so we'd just add her to the list.

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Thanks - that's REALLY appreciated!

Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

@Seepalaces We're going to be back to Salem in about a week from today, and are more then willing and able to lend a hand, any thing you need, let me know! Both my folks are needy seniors that we care for 24/7 so we're trying to get every thing figured out. I have the big S.U.V. and it can hold a lot of weight, so we're trying to figure out where to get water. I have a friend and fellow monkey in Kaiser, but his well is getting used hard, so we're not sure about there, we also have the family Farm in Jefferson/Scio, so we may be running water from down there! PM if you need any thing, we'll make it happen!

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Big SUV" maybe can handle a trailer with a tote on it?

Gator 45/70, Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Big S.U.V. with a Big Ass Hemi 6.1L
    And I can drag the Peterbuilt out and all bets are off then! 670hp of screaming Cat 3406E ( C-16) that got it's tail stomped on! :D:p

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There are so many leaks and pipe breakes here we should probably never drink the water straight from the tap.
    I can see why all the city people freak out.

Seepalaces likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Wilsonville, OR now reporting an advisory. Wilsonville is at the southern edge of the Portland Metro area - the area in red below:
    upload_2018-6-1_23-6-36.

Water panic starts in 3...2...1...

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I had our rainwater tested sometime back. I did it just to see what would be found in it. Come to find out, it would take little to no filtration for it to be fine for any use we need here. The Boss's family has been using it for ages, with zero filtration. Personally, I would run it through a bit of charcoal, to clean up the taste a bit. But, even that isn't necessary, honestly. Aside from that, I'm good.

3M-TA3 and Seepalaces like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My son and I were talking about this water issue. He asked if freezing the water would kill the toxins. I didn’t think so. Anyone know?

Seepalaces likes this.
  10. ghrit

It will not eliminate the toxins, but may kill the bacteria that makes the toxins. Bear in mind that the toxins themselves are NOT living beings at any level, they are chemicals.

Seepalaces, Seawolf1090 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Motomom34 Nope Freezing will NOT deal with the Toxins of ANY KIND... In some cases it will Kill Bacteria, but those are actually NOT Common, Mostly Bacteria just slow down the internal Processes, and once warmed up revive... This is why you should ALWAYS Cook, Frozen stuff, or EAT it right away, before any Bugs start to grow... also true for Viruses...

Seepalaces, Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I was thinking about how easy this would be to detect in the wild...SHTF, you are collecting your own water situation. You grab a gallon jug of water from a lake with an algae bloom and boil it to get rid of the bugs, but inadvertently concentrate the toxins.

Seepalaces, Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  14. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Rainwater wouldn't have these toxins in it, if I am correct? Of course, if you are anywhere near some huge industrial plant, that may be a whole other issue, in itself. (None anywhere in this country, as far as I know.)

15. ghrit

Correct. But if it isn't raining, hike around to where the lake inflow comes from. Chances are better that there are no bacterial originated toxins in flowing water. But again, you should have a pretty good idea of where you are, and have a pretty good idea of what contaminants may be in the creek/river/or whatever. In most cases, filtering and boiling of in-flowing water will give you better odds. You really need to know what's upstream (and upwind) hopefully by familiarity with the AO.

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

So if the problem is the chemical the bacteria leave behind in death ,if your boiling any thing, it will/may evaporate with the steam . It's like trying to filter gasoline from water . knowing exactly at what temperature the chemical evaporates is critical "IF" there is a wide enough differentiation between the two . If the margin is too close distillation would make the contaminant more concentration.
    Definitely need to kill the bacteria, but you need something to remove the chemical like a filter that will readily absorb it , not only that but know when the absorption is toped out so that you can replace the material before the contaminant over runs it . If you don't have the equipment to identify the chemical, your working in the blind.
    Seems to me that most creatures cannot live in an environment that if filled with it's own feces . if it does it usually kills it's self off.
    Never the less what you eat creates chemical in the process ( some of us produce a lot of methane eating beans) .
    So if what it (bacteria) is fed is altered it could make it less toxic.
    So feeding the bacteria something that reduces the toxins might be the better route.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Seepalaces likes this.
  17. ghrit

That turns out to be pretty easy, so I've been told, using chamois, the real thing, not synthetic.
    Chamois leather - Wikipedia
    Tedious, but can save someone's butt out there.

18. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Maybe to reduce other items in the water that will not cross over.
    Fer Instance> Had a scan and found our well water was depositing calcium in my ureters the tubes made of smooth muscle fibers that propel urine from the kidneys to the urinary bladder.

Not a good thing so now it is Bottled water.
    Water passes State Human safety limits.

19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

No calcium in distilled alcohol, either ;)

20. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Alcohol is a poison to the body.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7