Salmonella Outbreak Impacts 30 States

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Jonas Parker, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

New Health Alert: Salmonella Outbreak Impacts 30 States

CDC is collaborating with public health officials in multiple states across the United States and with the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service to investigate an ongoing multi-state outbreak of Salmonella I,4,[5],12:i:- (pronounced "four five twelve eye minus") infections in humans.

Advice to consumers
    At this time, CDC recommends that people do not eat any Banquet pot pies or pot pies made by ConAgra Foods that have a printed code ending in "P9." Other brands of pot pies made in the ConAgra Foods factory that makes Banquet brand pot pies and sold under other brand names may also be contaminated with Salmonella. These other pot pie boxes also have a printed code ending in "P9". If you have any of these products at home, the safest thing to do is to discard them.

Clinical features of Salmonella
    Most people infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12-72 hours after infection. Infection is usually diagnosed by culture of a stool sample. The illness usually lasts 4 - 7 days. Although most people recover without treatment, severe infections may occur. Infants, elderly persons, and people with impaired immune systems are more likely than others to develop severe illness. In severe infection, Salmonella spreads from the intestines to the bloodstream and then to other body sites, and death can occur if the person is not treated promptly with antibiotics.

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Crap, I just ate 2 banquet pot pies an hour ago..... gotta dig the boxes out of the trash and look now.

Update: It's for chicken and turkey pies... mine were beef.

I'm gettin tired of this crap..... just a month or so ago it was my kroger chilli.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Gee, Blackjack; you sure can pick 'em! ;)

Really; I'm glad it didn't affect you. :)

4. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Salmonella = food poisoning. Best remedy (besides not having it to start with ;)) is activated charcoal tablets/capsules to cleanse/bind the toxins and tighten the bowels back up, not antibiotics. Antibiotics will also kill the 'good' bacteria that are just trying to do their jobs. Valerian will also calm the cramping.

(Unless, of course, you have a compromised immunity system already, are very young or very old.)

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

acidophilous also help a LOT by replaceing the good bacteria killed by the bad bateria from food poisoning.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Citric acid doesn't do anything, but it sounds cool and nobody -NOBODY can beat a good placebo. Like aspirin for bronchitis, folks. It just can't get any better.

Man. Pot pies. That's my staple, man.

7. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Just another fine reason of why we eat what we grow/raise, or what I find running around in the woods.

OGM

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

FIFY-Fixed it for you.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7