Salmonella traced to backyard chicken farms

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by eeyore, Aug 26, 2011.

1. eeyore

eeyore Monkey+++

An excuse (like Nais), to regulate you out of producing your own food

Kingfish and Avarice like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Salmonella has always been a risk when

raising, slaughtering and preparing poultry for human consumption.

Egg production is also susceptible to contamination by salmonella. Eggs should not be consumed raw.

Thorough cooking of poultry products is very important as are good kitchen and poultry shed hygiene practices.

Using appropriate methods of chilled and frozen storage of slaughtered poultry products is also important.

Kingfish likes this.
  3. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

That's a great article. I've been wanting to raise chickens.

My friend raises them in his backyard, they just run around after he throws scratch everywhere. They are healthy, and his family of young children hasn't had a problem with the meat or the eggs.

The CDC can cram it. [beat]

Kingfish and BackwoodsmanUSA like this.
  4. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

You can't regulate common sense into people. Salmonella is always a concern around poultry. My three year old handles our ducks and chickens, and collects eggs every day; and he knows that the first thing he does upon entering the house is to WASH HIS HANDS. People amaze me. [beat]

Kingfish and VHestin like this.
  5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

The same goes for turtles. Almost all turtles have salmonellosis slathered all over them.

Kingfish and tulianr like this.
  6. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

Denver CO has just allowed people to raise 6 chickens or 6 ducks and two mini goats (dwarfs) in thier backyard without a permit. This aught to get them rolling on more laws to 'protect' us. Notice that the 'out break' was traced to a commercial enterprise. Never have heard of a 'back-yard' beef being the cause of 'mad cow'. It is not the fault of the responsiable 'home grower' that 'city people' don't learn before they jump into a new fad. But who will ultimately suffer? The people that take care of their animals and have the knowledge (or learn about) how to properly care for thier beasts. Just like banning pit bulls, idiots caused that, and that is one thing I know alot about. grrr...

Kingfish likes this.
  7. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

You know growing up we raised chickens, pigs. beef and alot of other animals. I didn't know you could buy meat or eggs in a store until I was 16. I think alot of the disease that CDC and other goverment agencies are coming up with is from people who keep their stock in poor conditions. We always cleaned the barns and chicken lots every couple of weeks, hogs we would rotate them between lots about every three months. Plus a lot of slaughter houses don't sanitize properly thats why we always slaughtered our own dad was funny about that stuff. The foods we done ourself tasted better and didn't have the chemicals in it that store bought did the food is better for you and don't contaminate the body

8. beast

beast backwoodsman

the most important thing about raising and slaughtering your own meat animals is being clean and keeping your stuff clean
    your table needs washed between every slab of meat you clean
    your knives need washed and sterilized as do your hands
    and the single most important thing is to honestly know what you are doing when you gut something
    commercially raised chickens are mechanically cleaned, this DOES leave parts inside that shouldnt be, ive seen it
    it also splatters the whole insides with fecal matter
    many people that try to raise chickens invariably rupture or cut the intestines
    ive also seen people that keep the gizzard and dont peal the lining out
    these are the people that get salmonella
    every part you are keeping needs thoroughly washed 2 or three times before packaging

E.L., Kingfish and chelloveck like this.
  9. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

My parents have been raising chickens for the last twenty years, and my family and I have been eating the eggs ever since. They don't slaughter them; to my mother they are pets. I would like to know more about gutting and cleaning them.

Kingfish likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dig back into the very old posts. Monkeyman did a series on butchering (with pix) and IIRC he did one on fowl.

Kingfish likes this.
  11. Yikes

Yikes Monkey+

I did not know about turtles. Thank you for that.

Kingfish likes this.
  12. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

You can bet as backyard poultry becomes more popular you will hear more of these type of stories all I can say is consider the source. [dunno] When my daughter was about 4mo old we took her for a well baby check the Dr. was going on about how well she was doing, then she asked my wife what she was feeding her. After my wife told the Dr. that she was breast feeding but also giving raw goats milk, raw honey, and that we had ducks and chickens, well then we were killing the poor girl. [loco] When our daughter was about 3 yrs. old we caught her drinking out of the water bowl that the ducks and geese swim and crap in. :sick::shock: I'm not saying that this is something that anyone should be doing but the kid never got sick from it. [dunno] She has never had an ear infection or any other typical child hood sicknesses. The less your body is exposed to, the more likely you are to get sick.

BWM

Kingfish likes this.
  13. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Kingfish likes this.
  14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We wash the eggs in cold water with a scrub pad before they go into the refrigerator. I don't handle the chickens at all. They don't like being picked up.

Rabbits are another matter as is venison. I keep my tools clean and disinfected. As was stated, cook all poultry and wild game completely and wash your hands after handling fecal matter, or live animals. KF.

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Most of this is common sense. Unfortunately, there are people who don't do the research or ask; as a result they do things wrong and pay for it.

BTPost likes this.
  16. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nothing wrong with the article. Trying to make people aware more than anything. I have had salmonella poisoning, it's no walk in the park. The big thing like stated earlier is sound dressing and processing procedures. Don't cross contaminate your food, cook it to 160 F, chill immediately after if not eaten right away, and you will be fine. Lots of washing and sanitation is the key. In addition, use a thermometer when you cook!!!!

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 12, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Ariasmith
  7. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. JC Refuge
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Media

KFC

Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7