Recipe "Salt Raised Bread"

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Falcon15, Nov 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I read a blog that goes over 1800's-1900's recipes, and came across this method for making salt raised bread. No yeast or commercial chemicals are involved. Seems to be a variation on sourdough, but takes far less time than a good starter. May come in handy post SHTF:

tulianr and Cephus like this.
  2. Thank you for this. I have never tried raising bread this way so I will be sure to try it out and see how it goes.

3. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+

This is pretty common where i live though we have never made it ourselves. Around here it sells for around 2.50-3.00 a loaf. This is my favorite bread for breakfast toast or for cream tuna on toast.

Jason

4. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

Salt raised bread is awesome! It is also something I have failed at more than once, no doubt due to my lack of patience with the steps.

5. sniper69

sniper69 Monkey+

King Arthur used to sell a salt rising bread "yeast", but I didn't see it available last I checked Salt-Rising Bread Yeast - 16 oz.
    Another place that has a salt rising starter is Rising Creek Bakery, Mt. Morris, PA - I haven't ordered from them yet, but plan to buy some of the starter.

On the topic of bread - another one that I enjoy and haven't found since moving is butter brioche. It is one tasty bread. :)

6. When young, salt rising bread was the favorite of the many I had a chance to sample.

I could never get as much as i wanted because everyone wanted it and it was slower to make than regular yeast breads.

I have not tried to make it myself, but seeing this I may give it a try, if I manage it then it will be time for happy celebration at the homestead.

I just love this kind of bread.

7. sniper69

sniper69 Monkey+

1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Ganado
  4. Motomom34
  5. Ganado
  6. natshare
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Ganado
  9. Ganado