SAS Custom Kydex Holsters

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by gunbunny, Sep 30, 2013.

1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

SAS Custom Holsters

There was a distinct lack of kydex holster availability for the Kahr pistols. I didn't really know why until I talked to Stacy at SAS Custom Holsters. It seems that we can be angry at Blueguns for not making a demostrator/training tool in a K9. That lack means no molds of guns to be sandwich pressed between two layers of hot, pliable kydex. No molds, no holsters.

But, Stacy wanted to try. He stated that he wanted his company to be known for his customer service and quality. His commitment was that if it didn't fit, he'd make it right, by any means.

Eventually, he was able to get a training tool from another company for the CW9, and fits the K9 like a glove. Two weeks later, I received the holster. His shipping was very inexpensive and the contents of the box were well packaged.

I ordered an IWB holster for appendix carry, along with a horizontal magazine carrier. Both fit the weapon snuggly, but still release without too much effort. The gun stays put when inverted.

I started to carry it and practice draws almost immediately after opening the box it came in. I am fully confident in using this holster on a daily basis.

One of the nice things about SAS, is the large array of colors, patterns, and even pictures available to make holsters out of. I ordered mine in gray, just to be different.

The turnaround is quick, but I ordered several other holsters at the time, and one of the colors I wanted wasn't in his stock. He had to wait for the kydex to arrive before he could make them and send them out along with my K9 IWB holster.

There is a distinct lack of gear in white for wintertime use. The color Stacy was waiting for was white. I ordered a double magazine carrier for Magpul PMags, a double magazine carrier for Glock 21 magazines, and a belt holster for the G21. The retention is solid in all three items, and what surprised me the most was the fact that a Glock 22 will fit in the holster (rattles a little bit) and stay retained. The AR-15 magazine carrier will hold GI aluminum magazines, also.

I wonder if Magpul would make a custom run of white PMags?

I also decided to order a holster for my favorite hunting sidearm- my Ruger SP101 .357 with a 3" barrel. Stacy had a mold for it, and he made an exquisite holster in brown kydex for it. Why wear black when you are covered in Realtree? The brown is perfect, and with a 15 degree cant, the holster fits snuggly to my side, I almost want to carry it every day.

Along with the SP101, I ordered a cartridge holder in brown, holding 10 cartridges. The SP101 is a 5 shot revolver, and a five shot carrier just didn't seem worth it. The ten rounder is nice, and not imposing at all. It fits my side like a glove.

(Yeah, just keep looking at the shirt and laughing... while I'm drawing)

If you think about it, I should have had the holster made in blaze orange for hunting. The possibilities are endless. Try finding gear in arctic white, and see how limited your choices are. I actually have to sew some gear- and I haven't sewn since high school. Not too many places offer anything for winter, and when they do, they use black zippers and such. WHY?

It's just not firearms that you can secure with kydex- your imagination and your wallet are your only limits.

If you want a custom kydex holster for your everyday carry piece, I'd give Stacy a call.
    Kahr family photo. holster Kahr. holster glock 1. holster glock 2. Holster ruger 1. holster ruger 2. holster ruger 3.

stg58, kellory and Lurker like this.
  2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

It came to my attention that I may have been a little ambiguous when I explained my Glock 21 (.45 ACP) holster. The holster was made for a Glock 21 (.45 ACP, large frame). It retains that pistol perfectly and without any noise.

Just out of curiosity, I placed my Glock 22 (.40 S&W, small frame) in the holster to see if it would stay in, knowing that the Glock 21 (.45ACP) is slightly larger of a pistol. It was the Glock 22 (.40S&W) that was a little loose and rattled a bit; but it still stayed secured in the holster by the trigger guard.

I just wanted to clear that up a little; Stacy's holster is top-notch, and I didn't want to confuse anyone. He offered to replace the holster since it rattled, but I sent an email to explain to him that it was my writing style that was a little rattley...

3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

gunbunny, have you looked into using Duracoat on your Pmags, to paint them white? Thinking that if you do the room temperature hardening schedule for the paint, it would do fine. Might even be able to get away with using the low-temp baking hardening, though I'd check with Magpul, to ensure the plastic they use can handle 180F heat. Supposedly it's safe for Glock painting, but not sure whether they use the same type plastic or not?
    I've considered getting one of the Duracoat "Shake N' Spray" kits, and seeing if I can't make some black Pmags into flat dark earth Pmags. :cool:

gunbunny likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7