Recipe Sausage n Cabbage Noodles

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ditch witch, Jan 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Or what I like to refer to as, poverty food, lol! Right now green cabbage is 4 for $1 at the grocery store. Since it keeps forever in the fridge I picked up 8.

Sausage n Cabbage Noodles
    1 pound ground sausage
    1 red onion, thinly sliced
    half a head of green cabbage
    2 tablespoons butter (I've been using coconut oil lately)
    1/2 or so teaspoon caraway seeds
    1/2 or so teaspoon paprika (I gots smoked paprika, mmm)
    pepper and salt

Brown sausage, remove and set aside. Throw the butter and onions into the pan with the sausage drippings and cook about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and thinking about browning. Add the cabbage and go another 10 or so minutes until it is soft and noodle-y. Put the sausage back in, mix up good, and serve.

When you cut the cabbage, cut it in half top to bottom. Now lay it on the cut side and start slicing it crazy thin across so you're basically making skinny noodle looking cabbage strips. I pull out the thick, chunky core pieces and just throw that to the rabbits but it'll eat the same. I had a half head of red cabbage the other night and mixed it with the green. It looked pretty fancy. :)

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Imake pretty much the same thing but no sausage or paprika. Saute onions in bacon fat, add shaved cabbage, add cooked broad noodles, caraway seeds, S & P

ditch witch likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

ditch witch and tacmotusn like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Yup, Cabbage is great. I save some ham chunks for seasoning any time I bake a ham (1/2 lb or so to a bag). Some times I even add one chopped sweet onion course chopped as well in the same bag. This can be frozen and used up in a couple of months. Cabbage cooks down so much, and is so popular with those usually sitting at my table, I will use my largest skillet, and start off with it heaped so high with chopped cabbage that I cannot put the lid on. I am using a 12 inch x 4 inches deep skillet. 4TBS butter (1/2 stick), 1/2 lb ham seasoning meat (1/2 lb smoked spicy sausage cut in 1/2 inch rounds will do if ham is not readily available), 1 large sweet onion course chopped, a really good grind of fresh ground black pepper, 1 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic (to taste), salt lightly (too much ruins this for most) (let the guests do the final salt addition on their plate). I cook on medium high heat stirring often until I can get the lid on, then reduce the heat to medium until crisp is cooked out. Remove the lid and finish by letting alot of the liquid evaporate off and until cabbage or onions just start to brown. Cover and remove from heat (or no more than lowest setting) to keep warm until served.
    Some times although rarely, I also might add a couple baker sized potatoes peeled and diced to this dish.

chelloveck and ditch witch like this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

When I lived in South Australia I would have Hunter's Stew at one of the food stalls in the Central Markets. It was tasty, filling and nutritious.

At the stall I would also buy piroshkis and blinis

In lieu of ground beef I would use diced lean bacon or finely cubed smoked ham hock in the filling to make Latvian Piragi.

Piragi Latvian Bacon Rolls Recipe - Food.com - 466345

Blini recipe : SBS Food

Brokor likes this.
  6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

A friend of mine owned a Polish restaurant and taught me all of her recipes. My favorite are the Pirogies made with farmers cheese, sprinkled with bread crumbs and sauteed in brown butter until slightly crispy.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Sounds too good to be called poverty food. ;)

ditch witch likes this.
  8. ditch witch

Well true poverty food, we wouldn't have the sausage to put in it. It IS a cheap, one pot dinner tho!

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Sounds as if it would taste good.

Back home they make something called Slippery Pot Pie, a simple boil a chicken carcass with thin sliced potatoes and flat lard and flour noodles. It is another cheap one pot meal for poor people which is also really very good..

ditch witch likes this.
  10. ditch witch

My grandmother was born April 14, 1912, the day the Titanic sank. She grew up in an orphanage on scraps and hand-me-down charity. On October 29, 1929 when the stock market crashed and the Great Depression began, she was six months away from leaving the orphanage and going out on her own, with nothing and into nothing. If ever there was a woman who knew how to survive, it was her and I remember a lot of barely there dinners when we were kids visiting.

We scoffed at her, my brothers and my mother and I. Throw it out we'd sniff, there's plenty more in the fridge, but she'd pretend she couldn't hear us and put that spoonful of leftover grits or single slice of tomato carefully away. They had a big farm then and tons, TONS of food, but she never wasted a cent or a kernel of corn and if she could fix dinner for 14 out of an old done for hen and two ears of corn she would.

Now looking back, I wish I knew half of what she did about making dinner from scraps and findings, but she's twenty years in the grave now and no one who could have learned from her ever did.

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Don't feel bad. I learned plenty from my parents and grandparents, but also missed an awful lot because I was at times too pig headed and poorly directed. Eventually I came full circle back to where they were coming from. I wish I had paid more attention.

12. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Yummy ! I'd need to say away from open flames for awhile tho..

Most of us too I'd bet.
    The arrogance of youth is cured by age .
    I'd like to go back and smack mself in the head.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

My grandmother was a little older than yours.

They lived through the Great Depression, they learned to make do with very little and as you said they didn't waste. We had ducks, chickens, rabbits, pigeons etc and a good sized truck patch. Plus my father hunted which added to the pot. We were poor but when your belly is full; one never realizes it. ;)

They also knew other things. Once to keep me amused she took a piece of string and a small cardboard box; ran the string between two chairs and made sort of a cable car arrangement. Kept me amused for hours.

We've come a long ways, but as we seem to have lost more than we gained, I question the direction and value.

ditch witch and chelloveck like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi