Sawhaul chainsaw mount

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TnAndy, Mar 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Company called SawHaul makes a nice chainsaw holder that will bolt right up to a tractor front end loader post, or about any surface with some minor drilling.

https://www.sawhaul.com/gallery

I put one on the left side loader post, but also got an extra U bolt/plate when I order the saw holder, and built a holder for my gas/oil can on the right loader post.

Built it 6x15" out of some scrap Unistrut, hunk of scrap expanded metal, and some flat bar to hold the can in.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, if you're hunting a really good gas/bar oil combo can, this Husquavarna one is top notch. Holds 5L of gas, 3L of oil, and has a nifty tool compartment in the center for files, bar wrench, wedges, etc. $30.50 at Amazon.

[​IMG]

BenP, Motomom34, deMolay and 2 others like this.
  2. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

I been teaching a young man how to sharpen chainsaw's. Seems no one freehand sharpens saws anymore they all use the electric sharpener's or take them to a saw shop to get sharpened. I fell 7 trees today, limbed and bucked up 3 and will get back at them tomorrow if all works out. I just carry a bag with me, has my files, saw wrench's files hatchet and wedges in there. He is having trouble catching on to my method, but I learned about over 50 years ago about sharpening saws. Learned to mostly get the edge back with about 2 strokes of the file. Unless some serious damage has happened. I freehand then every 3rd time check with a guide and flip my bar over lean the grooves and check my oil ports etc. I am going to find a Granberg saw filing guide, I think he will catch on faster that way. He has been paying 7-10 dollars each time at the saw shop.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I freehand them in two sizes , also my woodmizers blades are machine ground but manual worked by ME

deMolay, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Same here,Freehand sharpen,A word to the wish,The more the bar hits dirt the duller it gets...In a hurry!

deMolay and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Yup and it will find dirt or a rock etc. I used to log when I was young in the big timber in the Rockies. Some days I would be felling other days I would be bucking on the landing and sorting species into decks for different mills. You had to be fast with your file, because if the skidder was hauling close by the landing you couldn't keep up with a dull saw. And yoou had to keep the landing clear. It was always a contest. The skidder driver liked to try and swamp you and then laugh.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Log arch !!
    Also clean the bar grove with a broken hack saw blade and grease the nose wheel , if you feel a bar grove ridge , flat bastard file it off and clean grove well to let oil move ..
    Grease nose with a European style grease end (point style)

deMolay and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Learned free hand filing years ago from my Dad. It’s always best to learn the old school way, it’s tried , true , and effective.

8. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Yes Sir, when the bar groove gets worn the saw will not cut straight as it will lay over one side or the other. Teaching the young man a few tricks has been fun. Quite often people in my opinion over sharpen and wear their chain out prematurely. The electric sharpeners if you are not careful take a lot of metal fast. The other thing is always top up your bar oil every time you fill with gas. And I have found if you flip your bar every few filings you get more life from your bar. I always take it off every few filings anyway to clean in behind.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I sharpen mine with a Dremel and a marker, it is fast and effective for me. I used to have a 12v rotary tool I used in the field but I'm not sure what happened to it. I have sharpened them in the past with a file but I don't do it enough to get good at it. This reminds me I am due for a chain, the last time I looked the big box stores don't carry 24" chains.

Gator 45/70 and deMolay like this.
  10. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

This is what I suggested to my young friend. They have been around about 40 years now. You don't see them in most chain saw shops. Your suppliers for loggers and tree climbers usually carry them. Wgat they do is give you the muscle memory. Once you get that it stays like riding a bicycle. Granberg Bar-Mount Chainsaw Sharpener, Model# G-106B | Northern Tool + Equipment

BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

I flip per chain , run 6 gas 4 electric here , two chain sizes on files , I do the sawsmithing here , same as band saws , woodmizers X 2
    Sloth

12. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

You have a fair bit to maintain. I have 2 stihl 026's that are my favorites, older but lots of jam. 1 Husky 55 rancher it's down right now, and an older Echo 3000 for limbing it was an old climbing saw. I used to climb trees when I was younger and professionally drop trees. I made a fair bit of money back in the day dropping dangerous trees. The Echo's power to weight and balance is very good.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think it is important to Start with a guide while learning so you can have a good picture in your mind initially and muscle memory there after . I do free hand sharpening as well, but there is no shame in using a guide once in a while. .

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When it comes to Chains for my two STHIL Saws (031AV and 018) Years ago I built 15 Chains for each saw out of an Oregon Chipper Chain Roll for each Type, that I bought... I keep one spare with each SAW, and the rest hang on a set of Nails in the Toolshed... When I get down to the last couple of Sharp Chains for each Saw, I dig out the Chain Grinder and resharpen all the Dull Chains and put them back on the Nails... Going on the Third round, this spring, and I still have a bunch of NEW Chain on each Roll, and lots of Master Links for each type...

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and deMolay like this.
  15. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Those 031 are a beast. Had one for 30 years, still running gave it to my son.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

026 and 260s are my best here for me 3 of them .
    There is the fuel pump crankcase feed pulsing tube that I replace on those when they start acting goofy while using them .
    It is so hard to see the pin holes , but that is why I pick them up so cheap . IMG_2304.
    PULSE HOSE IS STRAIGHT , s one is fuel pickup , and carb to intake port is the wearing items I replace .
    I have a bag full of them for 026,260s,290 and also for the small one handed trimmer saws . I figure that if SHTF then parts will be hard to get till .
    As for tree huggin and spurning up them , 2.75" spurs min here due to old fir bark , and last time was 15 years ago for me .
    I now do the up with a genie .
    On this site I posted pix of the lift and tractors i use here.

Sloth

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    deMolay, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Good tip on the fuel lines. thanks. I don't climb anymore tinnitus and inner ear damage, have to be very careful even on our 1 story roof. I don't like Genie's seems I always ended up in them on sketchy ground, the 80 footers scared the crap out of me. Even tho I been up many many times in a man basket on a crane 150 feet or more at times doing weld inspections on industrial machinery when I was still working.

18. Cruisin Sloth

I have had wet pants a few times getting out of the bucket .
    All tubes hoses are replaceable with just a few plastic covers removed .

Sloth

19. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Beware the slingshot effect. We always had to wear safety harness because of that, when they tip over and then right themselves if your not ready you become the cannonball. You get launched.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Mine is set on four hyd legs and don't move from there . I use it to lift solar panels to limb trees and atach 2" pulling lines . Mine is rock stable . no tires while up , tires to trailer only
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. HK_User
  3. TXKajun
  4. Pathfinder
  5. Bear
  6. Mindgrinder
  7. ghrit
  8. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7