Gear Review Schrade SCHEXC Outdoor Survival Kit Review

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by OldDude49, Dec 27, 2018.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

useful?

Read more: Schrade SCHEXC Outdoor Survival Kit Review
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

he Clarys review the Schrade SCHEXC Outdoor Survival Kit.

[​IMG]
    Schrade SCHEXC Outdoor Survival Kit
    USA – -(AmmoLand.com)- Anyone who has set up a base camp for hunting can attest to the need for one or more of the five tools in this kit. As such, we have either loaded our truck with their full-sized equivalents or packed them into our campers. Either way, the full-size equivalents are bulky and often forgotten, either at home or in the field.

Schrade SCHEXC Outdoor Survival Kit
    Schrade put together this kit primarily for use in base camps or campers with limited space. The tools in this kit are not intended to replace their full-sized equivalents around your house. However, at the same time, they are not flimsy clones that will not withstand hard use.

With the above in mind, we opened the nylon carrying case that came with the kit and inspected each tool head. The tool heads are made from 3Cr13 stainless steel that has been enhanced with molybdenum and vanadium for strength and corrosion resistance. 3Cr13 steel is widely used in the US for wilderness survival and diving knives. Although it is not our choice for hunting blades, it is just fine for chopping tools and can be resharpened without much difficulty.

Included in this kit is a Pick Head, Axe Head and Shovel Head, all designed to fit on the handle with the twist-lock head attachment. The collar on the head attachment is Only to be tightened by hand. When a selected tool head is installed on the handle, there is no wobble. The handles are heavy gauge aluminum which forms a tight fit when screwed together. They are wrapped with textured silicone for grip. The folding saw, made from 2Cr13 stainless steel, comes with its own handle and would be a great bone saw in the field.

[​IMG]
    Schrade SCHEXC Outdoor Survival Kit Carry Case
    The heavy gauge rigid nylon carrying case is designed to protect the tools from damage as well as prevent them from damaging items outside the case when they are stored.

The MSRP is listed at $135.04, but it can be found online at prices of less than $100.

Schrade SCHEXC Outdoor Survival Kit Review

GrayGhost, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Not knocking their kit, but I promise I can find all of those tools used at a few yard sales for well under 100 bucks. A few minutes with a saw and a rasp and I have short sturdy handles..

GrayGhost likes this.
  3. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I'll take my old e tool any day

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Well done for the new world of the packer going into a prepared site in an area dominated by political correctness, will work well enough for what he is allowed to do. For longer term survival you would need a real bow saw, real axe, real shovel, real pick, real wheelbarrow, real scythe, etc, and a lot more. Boy Scout tools like we all used to look at and buy for a night in the woods and a week at summer camp, God I looked at them and wanted them, just never had the money. I wonder if my brother and I were the only ones who drooled over the ads in Boys Life 70 years ago?

GrayGhost and Tully Mars like this.
  5. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Have all a good look, TV shows that all tools work to kill zombies. Work is to be done with real tools not toys.

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    Dunno about the backpack stuff.

I'm more a full sized tool kinda guy. Still needs a file to go with

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. DKR
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. HK_User
  6. Grandpa Patch
  7. DKR