Schults question...i.e. I know nothing

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by monkeyman, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ida, we are in the same book and chapter. Narrowing down to the page well on the way.
    I'll be looking at those links later, for sure. One or another is apt to generate interest here, if not at Mm's station. For now, I need to get some lunch together then some PMs around the house. Too nice a day to be inside.

ETA: While sandwiching, I just read a page in the general manual that says freqs below 10 meter won't work during daylight, the D layer completely absorbs them. By logic, 10 or 6 would still be useful.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Probably proving my ignorance here but based on radio receivers I gathered that shorter waves make for longer distances and beyond line of sight ala short wave radio broadcasts you pick up across the country and beyond regularly. Since the broadcasts seem reliable I assume it's not from skip, so is that based off repeaters or just not fitting the situation for another reason?
    As to the whip, I had in mind being able to have an antenna that could be rolled up and stuck in a bag to carry then raised by tossing a weighted line over a tree limb and pulling the antenna up. So up to around 30"wouldn't be any problem and could go a bit longer.

BTPost likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A bow and a fishing reel, and an arrow fitted with squirrel or shocker tips, could launch your draw line much higher than that. 100' feet would be child's play.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We are talking Apples and Oranges here... Broadcast Stations both AM & FM use much greater Transmit Power Levels, than the type of Two-way Comms we are discussing in this thread. The Minimum Broadcast Tx Power level is 1000 Watts, and can be up to 50,000 Watts. The Maximum Transmit Power authorized for Ham Radio is 1000 Watts, and much of those Ham Comms, are using less than 200 Watts. On Ham, VHF and UHF, it is rare to find Stations using more than 75 Watts, of Tx Power. Understand that Broadcast Stations also are using BIG, and Expensive, Engineered Antenna Systems, where the Gain and Directivty, are designed to allow them to cover the specific Service Area, as specified in their Station License, with a pre-determined Signal Level. These Power Level Contours are specified in the Station License, and must be verified, during Licensing and ReLicensing cycles. There are very few restrictions on Ham Radio Antenna design, and installations, other than they MUST be Lighted if they are Higher than 200Ft AGL and meet FCC requirements, in an Airport Approach Area, OR the Power Density approaches those FCC Limits set, for BioHazard of RF Emissions. If you run less than Ham Legal Power Limits, you will never get close to those Power Density Levels.
    Now think about what you can easily carry, and or install in a Vehicle. Carry, limits you, in both Power, and Antenna, that you can reasonably carry around for any length of time, along with what else you need in a BOB. Typical Power is 5 Watts Tx Power and an Omni Directional Antenna with Unity to 3 db Grain. A Vehicle allows you more TX Power, and better Antenna Systems. Typically HF Tx Power is 100 Watts with Unity Gain Antennas, 50- 75 Watts of VHF Tx Power with 3-9 db Antenna Gains, and 35 - 50 Watts UHF Tx Power with 3-9 db Antenna Gains. Base Stations allow for up to Legal Limit TX Powers. You can install basically whatever antenna system you want and can afford, to allow you to conduct Comms, that you desire to conduct. These can be as simple as a Dipole for HF, and a simple VHF/UHF Antenna, that can mount on a roof, for those frequencies. Much of the above will seem like Rocket Science, now, but as you get into Ham Radio you will learn enough to be able to make these judgements for yourself.... and us Ham Monkeys are ALWAYS here tfor you....

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  5. ghrit

Minor correction, hams are now allowed 1500 watts on most, but not all bands. So far as I know, there are no transceivers that can put out that much power without a linear (or other) amplifier. That is way more than needed for the purposes proposed anyway. Most transceivers come at 100 or 200 watt max. Handhelds are typically 5 watt max.

6. ghrit

@monkeyman - Have you made any progress or decisions on work to home comms yet?

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not really. I've kind of been busy putting out other fires and haven't gotten back to that one yet. Still considering options though.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7