Scientists run calculations to PROVE the existence of God

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by OldDude49, Jan 21, 2017.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. I may be slipping, but I don't see the connections between the incompleteness theories and a proof of the existence of God. Those computer guys are simply proving the power of the computer to grind numbers, not complete conceptual and theoretical thinking. Now I'll shut up, that hits the upper limit of my understanding.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I always wonder why people cannot just believe. I believe in the unknown, I believed in Santa and I believe in God. I do not need scientific proof. Stories from those that have had near death experiences are enough proof for me.

magicfingers likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Claims are made...

King James Version - Wikipedia

Claims are made...

Quran - Wikipedia

Claims are made...

Book of Mormon - Wikipedia

Claims are made...

Vedas - Wikipedia and Upanishads - Wikipedia

Claims are made...

Tanakh - Wikipedia

Is there any reason to believe that any of the claims are true?? All that the computer scientists have done is to determine if Gödel's equation works. Prior to the digital era, there had been no technological means by which to calculate the result of the equation easily. The fact that the equation has been calculated doesn't prove the existence of god...any god, let alone any one of the Abrahamic religions' mutually incompatible conceptions of god.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_ontological_proof

The ontological argument for the existence of god (several varieties thereof) is not without its problems, and its not particularly convincing to many, who do not already believe in the existence of some particular flavour of god or other.

The Ontological Argument for God

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Wonders why it is so important to prove what one believes and disprove what another believes.

Motomom34, 3M-TA3 and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

Because that's how exclusive truth works...heresy and blasphemy have often hinged upon the minutae of doctrinal interpretation of what one believes to be true or untrue. Ever will it be so.

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Um......I'm pretty sure they dropped a decimal point!:D

That rag makes enquirer look like a quality source of info.

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Maybe they could be better occupied calculating the value of Pi to the last significant integer....

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Withak

Withak Monkey

A curiosity, nothing more. The existence of God cannot be definitively proved or disproved, at least by any means or method we humans possess. God may be as real, even more real, than any of us, yet if He exists, then He does so in an entirely different type of existence, He is, if He exists, transcendent, and therefore we are not fully equipped to either comprehend Him fully nor to seek to somehow prove His existence. If He exists, then the evidence of His existence must come from Him to us. Once that evidence is presented, in whatever form he's chosen, whether it be prophecy, written text, miracles, etc., it is up to each individual to decide for themselves if the evidence is compelling enough to justify belief, even faith/trust in the existence of God.

Of course, if God wanted to, He could simply plant himself firmly on the Earth, announce who He is and why He is here, give full-on demonstrations of His power, ability and might and effectively force everyone to believe in Him. But if God exists, He has chosen, in His own wisdom, to rather express His existence through other means. Perhaps this is to help preserve a sense of individual choice, freewill if you will, rather than force belief and faith on those that don't have it or don't seek it. Personally, I don't think if God came down to Earth (as Christians believe He did in the person of Jesus), that everyone would automatically believe. Skeptics/non-believers will always find a reason to continue in non-belief, no amount of evidence will ever convince them, so long as their heart remains steadfastly firm in its desire to remain in a state of unbelief.

At one point in my life, I did not have faith in a God, now I do. I was not convinced by science or even a church. I was convinced by other things I witnessed and experienced in the lives of people around me, and that ultimately convinced me there was something more. I suppose the point is, no amount of data, no amount of science, math or evidence, will ever convince the non-believer to become a believer. That ultimately falls to God Himself, if he exists, to reach the mind and heart of even the deepest skeptics, or to rather leave them to their own preferences.

Note - my choice to use the terms "God", "He", "Him", etc. are simply chosen to make the discussion less burdensome. Feel free to substitute whatever deity name/term/pronoun you would rather use.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Motomom34, chelloveck and Sgt Nambu like this.
  10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

There had to be and still is "God" as to which one people kneel to that is the question.
    Many a person mouths the word God and then proceeds to act as a emissary from hell and death and destruction follows, too late for us to see whats behind the veneer. I think we need to ask exactly the god they serve and if they intend to follow the precepts of the one they proclaim.

oldman11 likes this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Walk outside on a cloud free, moonless night. Take a good pair of binoculars and look at any point of the night sky.

I have done that more than once.

There is a "God" - maybe not the one any specific person would worship, but there is a God, I have no doubt about that.

You can make your choice of course.

Zimmy and oldman11 like this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Thank,you.

13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

So if there is no God then nobody did anything, to create everything, from nothing. Now that's what is hard to believe. Seen anything suddenly appear from nothing lately?

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ol' Steve Hawking did. Or at least proved it mathematically.

Brokor likes this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

If he knows the truth today, he was wrong.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

God has me on ignore. [afro]

chelloveck likes this.
  18. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

My relationship with my God doesn’t require outside validation.

People spend way too much time minding other people’s business.

chelloveck, Motomom34, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  19. chelloveck

I believe it is a mutually agreeable arrangement. ; )

20. chelloveck

My non-relationship with any god / gods doesn't require outside invalidation

but sundry Mormons, Jehova's Witnesses and Scientologists seem to find more time than I would prefer, in making it their business. :rolleyes:

Zimmy likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7