Scopes Advice

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by oramjacob, Aug 11, 2022.

1. oramjacob

oramjacob Neophyte Monkey

How far can you shoot with night vision?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

ATN Thor 4.5-18X 384x288 Thermal not cheap but I can reach out and touch something at 80-100 yds. Like all shooting it depends on the shooter and the bullets being pushed ballistics. Most of my night shots are under 50 yards and involve coyotes with a .22Mag CCI Mag hollow points. Also pop some coons now and then and the thermal makes finding them up in a tree a breeze. The only flaws I have found with it is the battery and SD card Ports. The covers like to snag on brush etc and pop out and get lost. So I put a strip of duct tape over them.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

That all depends on the quality of your scope, which all depends on how much money you want to spend. 100-200 yrds isn't uncommon, with some high end scopes offering built in range finding up to 1k yrds with an effective range of 6-800yrds for several thousand dollars.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Leatherwood ART-II M-1200 is designed specifically for shooting with N.V. and it is capable of effective shots well past the scoped calibrated dope which is currently 2000 Meters! My ACOG will also function quite nicely with N.V well out to the scoped effective calibration, which is 800 meters shooting 7.62X51 165 grain ballistic tips! Most higher end optics such as Leupold's MK-IV and up, Schmidt & Bender, U.S. Optics, and Nightforce will all handle N.V Shooting just fine, even some of the older Scopes like the original Zeiss, Redfields, Pentax, Bauch & Lomb, Burris, and even Nikon can all shoot well, it all depends on the quality of your N.V!

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My Tasco is a go getter
    2000 yds on my 1911 will kick dirt in yalls face while I laugh about it

6. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

All I know is you can if you have DEEP pockets

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  7. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I have been looking for something really good for night vision but the prices start getting crazy if you want to do fun stuff. Still need a lot of work and research on scopes both NV and daylight.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Something else to consider in NV/Thermal/Day scopes is your primary AO terrain and vegetation. If you are in thick woods or heavy undergrowth vs open Prairie or fields. Can you justify the expense of making long shots when 99% of your shots will be under 150 yards? When there is 50 acres of trees and under brush between you and the target........

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7