Second opinion on a trade?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ColtCarbine, May 15, 2006.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have a trade proposition before me that I'm pretty excited about but would like input on what I'm trading for. Trade is straight across, no money either way to make up the difference on my part.

Trading a Colt LEO AR6520 for a Izzy HB built on a Gear Logo Imbel receiver with an Izzy HB excellent parts kits, built 8 yrs. ago still has original parkerized finish. I won't be AR-less trading the Colt.

Are there any issues with the Izzy HB, other than expensive parts for replacement?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 155gunner

155gunner Monkey+++ Founding Member

Depending on who built the FAL, there should be no issues with the Izzy. Replacement parts may be expensive but they don't break that often. I would say go for it. You are coming out ahead on this one IMO.

3. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It really REALLY depends on who built it and how much they knew what they were doing. I'd want to shoot it, because headspace can really be a problem on a homebuilt gun.

4. ColtCarbine

Supposedly excellent condition Izzy HB kits were being imported at the time. He says they fired 200 rds. through the builds. I asked about headspacing and what it was set to, he said he doesn't remember what it was set to since his buddy was the one with the technical knowledge and did the headspacing. Guess I need to find somebody local who can check the headspacing for me. Shooting the rifle prior isn't an option, it's an interstate transaction.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'd go for it just because you don't have a FAL...

Choose the adventurous path

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

no brainer there, dude. ARs are like anatomical unmentionables, we all got at least one.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

8. ColtCarbine

Hopefully, this will be my second. A bit heavy for packing around, so it while just have to hold the fort for a bug-in. Besides, ain't she purdy :D

I was quite shocked when I got the offer of trade, almost too good to be true and had me second guessing myself and thought I'd see if the collective approved. I almost feel guilty but I'll get over it eventually...

I'm about as happy as a two peckered Billy goat, right now. Time to exchange FFL's. The gentleman said he needed to buy a big box or crate to ship it, guess it's kinda big. [touchdown]

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Let me get this straight, you are as stiff as Michael Jackson at a Wiggles concert?

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

A Complete Izzy HB kit alone is 1k or around that, Receiver is 300+ dollars
    They are fine rifles top shelf only rivaled by DSA and STG’s
    They are heavy, Most Izzy shoot really, really well.
    Head spacing is no biggy, get a gauge and if it out of spec, knock out the locking shoulder and tap in one that measures it back into spec.
    I would how ever ask about the American parts count and what they are so you do see a 922 conviction, although most don’t worry about it, and to my knowledge nobody yet has been convicted of it.
    Just a piece of info you need to know. If you ever need to Head space or work on it, it would be a good reason for you to drive out here and let me help ya with it.
    I say go for it if it has a good bore.

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Cool.
    Congrats

12. ColtCarbine

If he almost passes out from a lack of blood to this heart, than I guess the answer is yes. [gone]

Will the rifle function with improper headspace?

I'll ask about compliance parts, it would be my luck that I'd be the 1st to be made an example of. :(

I was hoping I wasn't just thinking the Izzy HB looked cool and that it was also a quality rifle. Yup, I'm a FAL [newb]. Gonna have to get as much South African I can afford while it's here, I hear it will dry up this summer. :(

Thanks for the offer to help out on the FAL's, all I know how to do is pull the trigger and load mags, not quite that bad. One of these days, I'm gonna have to get some gunsmith tools and start working on firearms.

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

It sure will.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7