"secure" deletion by gutman

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tango3, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

paper by Peter Gutman discussing drive technology and data recovery,Some may find it interesting. Basically He says its impossible to completely remove all traces of data (hard drive and even RAM)with modern recovery equipment, best you can do is to make it more difficult and expensive: taser1
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

2. funnyfarm11

funnyfarm11 Monkey++

There is one method that works. A thorough beating with a Sledge Hammer .

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Followed by a gentle application of a MAPP torch. (Propane is not hot enough.)

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'm thinking ferrous oxide and aluminum with a magnesium kicker[chopper]

5. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Seems to me all the wiping procedures are trying to get the signal level below the imposed noise. Instead of using random or arbitrary wipes how about overwriting with similar signals? The best way to hide a printed message isn't to scribble random lines over it; instead you print repeated messages in the same font over it until you can't distinguish the original words. If I wanted to overwrite an encryption key I'd generate multiple keys of the same length and use those for overwriting. Multiple variations of the same kind of data on the same place on the media should make it impossible to know which is the original.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Ive found that one of the best methods I have ever seen was afforded to me by a neighbor.....
    The BBQ!
    Seems to be quite efficient at erasing all traces of any information inside one's hard drive!
    Bill

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7