Security

Discussion in 'Technical' started by DarkLight, Jul 3, 2016.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I've had one of my 16GB on my key ring for almost 5 years now. It sees use at least weekly. It use to be daily but now it's just backing stuff up on Friday afternoon as our Version control software handles the day to day stuff.

Ganado likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thanks! @VisuTrac its good to know it is well tested =)

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I keep a 16GB ThumbDrive with my Passwrod File, in a Double 4096bit Encrypted format... It contains all the 4096bit PassPhrases for all the Encrypted Drives on my many Computers... As well as the GPG Keysets, and Family OnePad PADs, for the Family's Encrypted Comm Channels. This ThumbDrive is one of Three Duplicates. One on my Person, when I travel, One, kept at Home in our EMP Secure Storage, and the last one in our "Out of Country" Safe Deposit Box. A Current working Copy is kept on my Six Digit Locked iPad, in a 4096bit Encrypted & hidden File, and a Duplicate on my 6 Digit Locked iPhone. Those, even the FBI can't crack in their Lifetime... This way I only MUST remember just ONE 4096bit PassPhrase, and can recover all my other PassPhrases, and Passwords, when needed, and that PassPhrase was NEVER written down, anywhere, so I can NOT be compelled to give it up, by ANY US Court. I think I have covered every eventuality...

VisuTrac likes this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I wish the were incased like the Corsair Survivor (aircraft aluminum) as I really like those Flash drives for durability and reliability. But... I am going to purchase a couple of the 16GB Apricorn 2.0 version because I would not have the patience to deal with them 'timing out' every 90 seconds as the 3.0 version does (as reviews stated) and I don't need the speed. They are about $30 cheaper also... 16GB is enough as only using for important personal documents.

5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I have not experienced any timeout issues. Most of those will be due to an OS setting and can be changed.

On the phone typing. Will go into more later.

6. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Let's start a "Security" section with different threads for the different areas of security. 'puter security is too big an area just by itself, and we'd need separate areas to discuss other subjects.

Uh-Oh, I've got to start raining on the parade already. Sigh. I'll just throw these things out for all to think about: nothing personal, OK?

1. Almost all "Fire" safes will not protect backup media from damage. A fire safe is designed to keep its internal temperature below the "char" point of paper. They will not provide adequate protection for CDs and DVD media.

Fire resistant safes are engineered and designed to protect paper and keep the internal temperature of the safe below 350 degrees, which is the critical temperature where paper will start to char and burn. This method of protection creates steam (moisture) inside the safe. Any sensitive data or media will be badly damaged or destroyed between 120 to 180 degrees or 85% humidity.

2. "Off-site" data doesn't needed to be encrypted half so much as it needs to be secured: if you leave a USB drive at your brother's house, it will be long lost when you come looking for it. "Off-site" does not mean "anywhere but here": it means "somewhere else that I can access quickly which has the media stored safely and protected from damage." My favorite "off-site" storage is an old safe in my sister's basement: I pay her a modest amount of rent every year, and she keeps her kids and visitors away from it for me.
    3. Cloud storage is great for most data, such as pictures of the kids, copies of documents, scans of deeds, etc. It is NOT useful for prepping: after all, if the Internet is down for more than a few weeks, we'll all be back to using paper documents, sealing wax, and quill pens for "data" storage, so I avoid using cloud storage for anything that I may need when the net is off line.
    FWIW. YMMV. HAND!

William Warren

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
    Cruisin Sloth and Ganado like this.
  7. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Interested, this is definitely a subject I need help with...

Technology scares me....

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I purchased a 16GB Apricorn Aegis Secure Key USB flash drive, a 2.0 version after I got some answers that the 3.0 version indeed times out and a different register file was needed to fix it. The new register file is available from Tech Support. I went with version 2.0 as I felt that given the cost of 3.0 and that I didn't need the speed of 3.0 - well - it wasn't worth the hassle at this point especially given the 2.0 was cheaper. However, if I like the drive after testing then my next one will be the 3.0 version and larger. I should have it probably Monday or Tuesday.

I am wondering if I can encrypt a file using my normal AES 256-bit routine then put it on this drive which should encrypt it again. I would think it would be no problem but it is one of the many questions I have which I will test to find out.

Much thanks to those and especially @VisuTrac and @Brokor that brought this and other ideas to my attention. It is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

9. BTPost

Double Encryption should NOT be an issue, for ANY AES or GPG/PGP Based Encryption System.....

10. Con123

Con123 On Hiatus Banned

I was actually planning to install an security system in my outdoor. I have a confusion on which is the best: wired or wireless security system. I saw a blog containing the benefits of both wired and wireless security system ( Benefits Of Wired Vs. Wireless Security Cameras | Alarm & Fire Monitoring Service In Canada ). Which one will be better in case of expense, efficiency and warranty?? It'll be helpful if you share your suggestion. Thank you.

11. BTPost

There are serious concerns about Wireless.... They can be Jammed, and Or Detected/Located, by monitoring the RF Signal going back to the Monitoring Station. It also announces the location of the Monitoring Station, as well.... Yes, Wired is harder to do, and takes more time, but it doesn't announce itself, to the World, that it is there.... and what it is doing....

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. We have mac mini's so this is easy to do but.....tape a few layers of tin foil over a box and place it on your computer at night so it isn't broadcasting outside the home.

13. BTPost

or just turn OFF the Airport/WiFi and the SSID Broadcast.... and leave the Wired System (Ethernet) running.... AlaskaChick and I, have been a totally MAC Shop, since the PreRelease of the 128K MAC...

ghrit and Ganado like this.
  14. john316

john316 Monkey+++

cloud backup aint safe anywhere just sayin

what he said

15. BTPOST good thinking. My son likely did that for us, he is Senior Tech Support for Apple from home so did alot of adjustments. Luckily it is one thing we don't bother much learning about due to having him.

1. CraftyMofo
  2. chelloveck
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Bandit99
  5. STANGF150
  6. Ganado
  7. DKR
  8. Bishop
  9. Murfylang
  10. deMolay
  11. Bishop
    Here is how you make a warfbow. [MEDIA]