seed storage longevity?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by RJB, Mar 22, 2007.

1. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

What'll mess up many is "light exposure", "moisture", & "bugs". Many of those SEED CATALOGS will scare the living cr*p out of you (probably in hopes that you'll throw out your older seed/buy them anew), but most seeds last for a long time. Extreme heat can also be an issue, so we have ours kept in a cool dark place.

As hubbie (OGM) stated above, recycled glass jars with tight lids work great for storing your seeds... Sometimes I've put bay leaves or diatomaceous earth in there too (to repel bugs), and I haven't had any bug issues. But then again some of my other seeds in jars haven't either (without those two items). I think it's more of an issue of making sure you've got good tight/secure lids.... Best of luck to ya & HAPPY GARDENING in the future! ;)

Wildernessgal

2. wildernessgal

BTW, I think you have to be cautious about "where you choose to buy your seeds" from. The worst seed we have ever boughten came from a place called Baker Creek outta Mansfield,Mo. I can just imagine "how old his seed is that he sells?" As more than once we had heaps of trouble trying to get their stuff to even germinate. We also made a 30 $$$ order which he (<--the owner) claimed was a 80$$$ order, until we corrected him after the fact. Also happened to some other folk we know... We won't ever buy seed from them again. Especially when the last packet came with weevils inside the packets/seeds having a grand ol' feast!?!?!?! :(

Bountiful Gardens & Territorial Seed are so much better in our opinion! :)

~Wildernessgal~

3. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe Guest

I will be planting some this year. I'll probably be doing the square foot thing.

My main reason for bringing this back up was these cans of seeds that you can get. These seem like a really good idea. While it would be best to try to grow the plants and harvest your own seeds, the cans would be a backup that I'd be able to fall back on in case of emergency. But it sounds like that isn't the best idea. I'll try to harvest my own. But I'll be basing my collection of seeds on the cans.

Anyone know how many wheat plants would be required to get enough wheat to make a loaf of bread? I think wheat is a required seed, but I don't want to grow a bunch of wheat just for the seed.

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You could always reseed your lawn with wheat. Keep it cut and it looks like a nice green lawn but let it grow if SHTF and you get the heads to harvest. I know there are some varieties that folks have done this with because it stays green later when kept cut.

5. wildernessgal

For SURVIVALISM purposes, I'd say KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Everyone needs to figure out what works best for his or her circumstances... But as for myself and my family we don't like to rely on those sorta of things. I think that ones best bet (especially for those who are hardcore into survivalism/not wanting to rely on those types of things) is just to start mastering the whole garden thing and replenish your seedstocks anew every year... That way you'll always have "GOOD FRESH SEED w/HIGH GERMINATION Rates" & won't have to spend so much extra $$$$$. The experience will only help you when T.S.H.T.F! [applaud][applaud][applaud]

We haven't bought seed in ages as we collect all of our own. It's quite EASY and not as complicated as many think. If ya really want to learn more get SEED TO SEED By Author S. Ashworth as it can be very helpful.
    Just my 2 cents! :)

~Wildernessgal~

6. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe Guest

I've come across a couple good sites on how to harvest seeds. It is kind of surprising what needs done to get some of them. For instance, I thought you could just take the seeds out of a tomato and plant them. It takes more than that to get usable seeds.

This site has some good info about it.

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html

The best one I can't seem to find right now. It was the notes from a lady that has worked all it all out over the past 20 years or so. I think it was part of a forum, but couldn't remember for sure.

7. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We have read about how you have to ferment tomatoe seeds to make them useable. You know what we have never done this. We just let a tomatoe get really ripe on the vine take the seeds out and let them dry. They still have the outside casing on them but every year we have a ton of tomatoes. We do the same thing with all the rest of our seeds as well. We kind of like the KISS method of doing things around here.

K eep
    I t
    S imple
    S tupid

OGM

8. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe Guest

The only tomatos I've ever planted were from packages, so had no idea how they got there. Maybe the ferment thing helps to have more of them sprout? Either way, I'm all for keeping it simple.

9. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

The fermentation process removes the outer lay from the seed. They say this helps with germnation rates but we get close to 100% sprout so I call [BSf] Now our seed doesn't look as pretty as the ones in the package but the tomatoes taste just as good. [chopper] Had to use that one seeing it's new and all. :)

OGM

10. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe Guest

You know, now that I've really thought about it, I would think that layer of crap on a seed right out of a tomato would be a good thing. It is some extra fertilizer in the hole with the seed. The down side would be the possibility of bacteria being trapped right against the seed.

I'll just pull the seeds out and plant them next year. Thanks for the discussion.

11. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

LOL great idea, love it.

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7