Seeds Planted, Out of Hand.....Again! LOL

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by TXKajun, Mar 19, 2016.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I've been contemplating what seeds I wanted to start this year for entirely too long. Sheesh, it's already March. How time flies.

A couple of years ago I got a heated mat for starting my ultra hot peppers, so I figured since I'm late getting started this year, I'd use it for all my seeds. Sooooo, today I got out the seed starting mix, a large 72 hole tray, the base and the top and set the on the heat mat hoping to make up for the late start. This year, I promised myself I'd keep it small......2 or 3 peppers, a couple of heirloom tomatoes and that'd be about it. Well, when I went to find my seed tray, all I had was a big one sooooooo. Yeah, I knew ya'll'd understand. :p

Got 6 different kinds hot peppers planted, cilantro, dill, mesclun lettuce mix, bok choy, 2 kinds of carrots, canning cukes, evergreen bunching onions and 4 different kinds of tomatoes seeded. We'll see how it goes.

And, Ganado, before you ask, here's your picture. :)
    [​IMG]of ultra

This year, I'm going to do containers for everything except the heirloom tomatoes (they get 6-9' long!)

Kajun

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It is that time of the year to start seeds!!!

Here last frost risk is 5 April. The seeds are starting to sprout in the trays and we are expanding the garden fencing adding another 400 sq ft.

My lovely lady wants a larger herb garden inside the dog fence.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

You do understand that the moderator will get you for posting that picture. God only knows how many of us feel shamed that we haven't done so. Thank you for the incentive to get started.

Dunerunner, Altoidfishfins and Ganado like this.
  4. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I am used to being an example for other folks by now....and have been for about 30 years. Only thing is, I'm used to being a BAD example!!!! LOLOL

For what it's worth, I have been contemplating this for about 3 or 4 months now. I put it off, too. :)

Kajun

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had never heard of a heated mat seed starting system. That is really interesting. @TXKajun do you put one of the plastic covers over also?

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@TXKajun
    I don't think so.

We enjoy what we grow; it just tastes so much better than anything one can buy. Once some friends asked what kind of potatoes they were eating because they tasted so much better. Unn, the same kind you buy was the answer.
    I know everything that is put on what we eat; from the type of manure to whatever. No one knows that unless they grow it themselves.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i have cheap heating pads from thrift stores =)

thank you @TXKajun

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Ganado you just use plain heating pads? Makes sense. I looked and Burpee had one for $40

Ganado likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

any cheapo one from a thrift store

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. duane

duane Monkey+++

I bought good ones for the greenhouse and a thermostat to control them. It really helps and while it cost about $100 at the time, I am now in the 6 th year of using them. The plastic domes help until they sprout through the soil, then it seems to almost hurt them. Good grow lights help me the most, picked up the floursent ones from people who were going to plant gardens and gave up after the first year. Have my plants started in an upstairs bedroom, so need lights. Can't afford to heat greenhouse and you are right, nothing beats picking veggie and cooking it 20 min later, or eating it in the greenhouse. Most of the stuff in the store is picked green and shipped half way around the world. It has been selected to not be damaged in shipping, to not spoil, and to look great. If it tastes good, it is an accident.

11. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I have to confess, I am kind of a gadget guy. I wanted to try raising ultrahot peppers, but everything I read said the soil had to be 80-85 degrees. I thought about a regular heating pad, but then I ran across the Jump Start Mat and the controller for $50. The controller is digital (drool, drool) and I already had the 4' JumpStart light system, so I figured "What the heck". The peppers germinate in about 10 days, but other seed germination times are halved by holding them ~80F. I use a generic seed starting tray and yes, it has a clear cover which really helps in our low humidity to keep the moisture in the starter material. It comes off when the plants are ~1.5" high.

One thing led to another, so two years ago I figured I could make my own grow lamp system for a bunch less. Lowe's has twin-light fixtures, the cool and warm lamps and chains to attach them to the ceiling for really reasonable prices. I took a few pics last year and posted them here at survivalmonkey.

I realized about 4 years ago that working in the yard garden from June through September when it was 100+F was NOT fun. I started scaling back and a couple of years ago was down to 4 tomato plants outside, some onions outside and 60 sq.ft. under the lights. Much easier on this old man. Tikka, you hit it right on the head with knowing what is on/in your plants and veggies if you grow them yourself. Plus, the taste difference is huge.

Anywho, good luck everyone and please let us know what's happening with your garden. :)

Kajun

natshare, Yard Dart, duane and 2 others like this.
  12. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Your lack of melons and beans is disturbing...
    :)
    Good on ya to get started already...

MG

Ganado likes this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Potatoes, onions, cabbage, peppers, broccoli, turnips, and 18 new grape vines, all still alive despite the rains. Frost on the way tomorrow morning...
    image.

14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

T.Riley, that's awesome!! Mindgrinder, melons and beans take up more room than I have available inside and they wilt and die in the heat outside here in SE NM. I had one year where I planted some watermelon seeds and ended up with 3 watermelons. The vines were almost 30' long. Course, the melons were almost 30 lbs each!!! Yummy. But haven't been able to repeat.

Kajun

chelloveck and T. Riley like this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Any vegetables we grow outside have to be covered by netting for shade or the just sun kills it. Matters not how heavily you water. Tomatoes and cantelope are especially vulnerable. I'm sure others are too.

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  16. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

I have over 150 raised/old farm tractor tires beds and i never have to cover them i have so many veggies that i have to give a lot away using only manure--- with greens some kinds will produce till the middle of winter and longer if I covered them--the tractor tired keep and hold heat for the plants which is good in spring and winter--will start this good Friday planting

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@marlas1too Pictures please? I have never seen this type of bed, it sounds facinating!
    [worthless]

18. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

as soon as I can get some pics take I will post them

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  19. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

My National Pickling Cucumbers (heirloom) have sprouted today. :)

Kajun

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  20. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

We have 3" high heirloom tomatoes. Our last years seeds grew..

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7