Seeds Planted, Out of Hand.....Again! LOL

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by TXKajun, Mar 19, 2016.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Way to go, Tikka. I haven't tried to save seeds except for some watermelon seeds and green bean seeds from a few years ago. I planted a few of each, and most of them sprouted, as I recall.

You planting outside or starting seeds inside??

Kajun

Ganado likes this.
  2. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

I always plant on good Friday every year so this Friday will be a busy day

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Frost burned potatoes and peppers but they will survive! More to plant next week. Love the spring.

chelloveck, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have a few things going in the house, no heat in the greenhouse and we are still getting freezing temps at night. Was painting some trim boards, temp 40 outside, 80 + inside and a d**** cabbage butterfly comes flying by and as much as asked where is the food? They are pretty little things, but so are coral snakes I guess. Saw that the groundhog made it through the winter ok also. He is skinny and can run even faster than last fall. I wonder what they say about me, probably when is that lazy old fool going to get his act together, we are hungry!

Ganado likes this.
  5. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

OK, it's been 4 days since I ut the seeds in the tray with the seed starter. Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

The small sprouts on the right are mesclun lettuce. Next to them, the bigger sprouts are pickling cucumbers. Top left little sprouts are baby bok choy, and the middle ones on the left are cherokee heirloom tomatoes (near center) and brandywine pink next to the left edge. Not too shabby for only 4 days. I am holding the plastic lid up with popsickle sticks so the cucumbers can grow a bit more, but they'll be ready for transplanting tomorrow or Saturday. wow!

The peppers (in the bottom 2 rows) could take up to a month to sprout even at 85 F..

Kajun

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Starting some seeds inside. We've had 14 of 15 heirloom tomato seeds sprout. I don't know if that is typical or we were lucky.

Our soil is typical mountain clay. I dig a hole, in goes some potting soil, composted manure, etc. We've only been here for 3 years and the house improvements took most of our time the first year. This will be our first "real" garden with a lot more than just tomatoes, white and sweet potatoes and more; I'm tickled.

How does Mesclun lettuce do in heat? As it comes from France, it is hard to imagine it doing well in NC heat. How does it do in Texas.

BTW, As your screen name has Cajun in; I know what a coon a$$ is, LOL

No mods, it is neither racist or insulting; ask any Cajun

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@TXKajun 4 days and sprouts! nice job!!! that mat works great... I may have to get one

8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Tika, yea, "coonass" is not a word dat Cajuns get all buttburned over. We have tons of jokes "Boudreaux and Arceneaux" type where we poke fun at ourselves. Not a problem.

FYI, I live in SE NM now (and have for the last 15 years). The heat here has taken its toll on me and I do container gardening for the most part, so the mesclun, bok choy, etc will be raised in my "manly room" under lights. June-September is just too hot for me to get out and weed, fertilize, etc. The cucumbers I'm going to split....some outside in a corner of the fence with some wire for them to climb, some inside with a little yet-to-be-built trellis.

Ganado, I was amazed myself at how fast the seeds are sprouting. Up till this year, all I've started was the ultra hot peppers. Yeah, I like it!

Happy Easter, ya'll. He is Risen!

Kajun

chelloveck, Ganado and Tikka like this.
  9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@TXKajun
    Some say it is a slur; many others say it is a badge of pride. A friend's wife who is a Cajun said only PC folks consider it a slur.

As we eat a lot of salads with our meals, I'd like to find a leaf lettuce that does well here. I know better than to try head lettuce. :)

I live in western NC in what is called an isothermal belt. Rather than me confusing everyone trying to explain it:
    Isothermal Belt | NCpedia.
    It's good for gardening.

Motomom34, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  10. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I stole your water sprinkler Idea and set up 2 set's, one in my orchard and one out in my 1/4 acre row garden.

11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Good. It works great and is cheap to build. I have mine on 12 volt timers since I am away from my garden for a week sometime.

kellory, Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7