1. The Topic of the Month for May 2017 is "Motivationals." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Seeking Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Nov 4, 2005.

1. RightHand

RightHand Old Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

Does anyone know if there is a unified part numbering system for plumbing, electrical, and/or HVAC parts? In electronics, we have the EEM system and I'm seeking information on anything comparable. I'm setting up an inventory system for a client and need to structure part numbers. Thanks for any input.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'd guess no. but I hire all that work out myself.

3. RightHand

You're probably right. I haven't been able to find anything yet. I have a half dozen plumbing and well drilling clients and I've never seen any standardized numbering

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I see a lot of industrial pipe and fittings. There are UPC codes on a lot of them that come from suppliers rather than Home Depot. It might be worth a call to the local industrial supply company. Possibly Graingers or Mason-Neilon could point you in the right direction.

5. RightHand

Thanks ghrit. It's worth a try. The only thing I've found so far is nomenclature based or vendor specific numbers. If I can't find anything, I guess I'll have to create my own system like everyone else. Of course, being an accountant by trade, I love numbers anyway but I don't usually have an opportunity to get too creative with them. The IRS frowns on that. :rolleyes:

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

We do our HVAC part by the manufactured parts # system. With the company’s I have worked for.

7. RightHand

.Quig, are the part numbers manufacturer specific with each mfger using their own?

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Yeah they are

9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

TIme to write a Standard and patent/sell it RH...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7