Seems that 'prepping' is now considered "Mainstream"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Mar 15, 2024.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

LOL
    With Another Nasty Election Looming, Prepping Goes Mainstream (reason.com)

Money quote
    "Among the more serious and sympathetic researchers on preparedness is U.S. Army Col. Chris Ellis, who has worked with FEMA to analyze the state of preparedness among Americans. In his 2021 paper, The Noah Virus: Who Is Infected With High Resiliency for Disaster?, he defines prepping as "the act of readying one's self or one's family, via means of supplies, tools, and skills, for a potential (often severe) future hazard, either natural or manmade."

"The 20 million US preppers mark has solidly been crossed," Ellis wrote for The Prepared in 2022. "If you use the broader definition of a prepper as someone who can handle at least two weeks of disruption, the number gets even higher."

I prefer to think of this as
    People we do not have their head up their own ass".

The link to the good Colonel's paper is working as of the time this was posted.

Bandit99, CraftyMofo, Meat and 4 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The Lefties are ripping the wiring outta the walls, (as are many Rinos on the right,) it's only a matter before the tin foil conspiracies all come true, we are near the point it's going all to hell, most folks are seeing what we here have already known all along, so it's becoming more and more "mainstream" to prep! Can't say i'm all that surprised it would come to this, better now then never!

Meat, Zimmy, mysterymet and 1 other person like this.
  3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I read a comment, years ago, from a guy who advocated prepping. He said preppers were generally looked upon as being a bit.... STRANGE. :rolleyes:
    So what he did, was tell people he was preparing for the zombie apocalypse. What a silly thing! They'd laugh, and he'd laugh, and he'd just keep prepping.

Bandit99, duane, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I've run across a lot of newly minted preppers, but from what I've seen they're looking to stock up for two weeks, perhaps a month at most. The lessons of 2020 were lost on most.

Zimmy, Bandit99, duane and 7 others like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

THIS IS A KISS AND TELL SITE
    What You do is behind bedroom doors
    STFU and keep your lip service squat .
    Never show , and only help ,
    Nice 2 c DW around girl.
    S

duane, 3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Two weeks is better than no weeks. Ya gotta start someplace.

duane, Jerry Fisk, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Every hurricane season we get that from fema 2 weeks

duane and mysterymet like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The frogs have finally noticed some bubble are surfacing in their bath and it isn't due to Mr. Bubble and nobody farted.

9. Jerry Fisk

Jerry Fisk Monkey

Yep.

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think the Covid era supply chain issues, and empty supermarket shelves due to panic buying were the kind of short sharp shocks which knocked a number of people out of their complacency, and towards a degree of preparedness for similar contingencies.

11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Running out of toilet paper the day before Taco Tuesday can do that to a feller.

natshare, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  12. chelloveck

Yes, the pleasant fragrance of Eucalyptus is somewhat undercompensated for by the coarse scratchy texture of gum leaves...even new gum leaves. ;)

13. Jerry Fisk

Jerry Fisk Monkey

Mullein.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Lots of folks are also starting to backyard garden in city neighborhoods.

Cruisin Sloth and chelloveck like this.
  15. chelloveck

Even in an urban / suburban neighbourhood, a garden (front or backyard or community garden plot) can reduce household food costs somewhat, making household budgets stretch further to cover other things. Involving family members in the gardening effort has other positive effects as well.

The mental health benefits of gardening | headspace

Gardening for health: a regular dose of gardening

Dig into the benefits of gardening

10 Mental Health Benefits of Gardening

The 7 mental health benefits of gardening

16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Even with doing that type of hard work ,, keep it on the QT as you can , don't go boasting about the stuff you do or get.
    Us farmers are keen to what is coming , just look at the store entrances ,, lots of one way gates etc.

Zimmy likes this.
  17. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

18. chelloveck

Perhaps if the research conclusion that the article cites were read, it might also be concluded that Urban agriculture could be climate beneficial, depending on what crops were grown, and by which methods were used among other things.

Highlighting and underlining in the following quotation are Chell's
    UA = Urban Agriculture

19. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

sooo now we are seeing the true agenda???

20. chelloveck

[​IMG]
    keep wrapping the tinfoil ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7