Self defence night stand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chelloveck, Feb 16, 2013.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

This could be an interesting workshop project for the security conscious home handyman: particularly those for whom a gun is not an option.

[​IMG]

Follow the link to the source article.

The Self Defense Night Stand : Tek-Bull

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Nah, no thanks, when gun is not an option I will be dead.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

An interesting idea, and I am trained in sword and shield (or in this case mace and shield) but I see two problems with it. First it will be covered in "stuff", it is a table after all, and second, that post that fits the leg will do you harm if the shield is driven into you. As a table, it would be safer as a hollow socket to receive a vertical post.
    My suggestion, would be to hang your "trophy" bat on the wall to be admired, and make your buckler from aluminum, inblazened with some sports triumph on it's face, and slot the wall to receive the handle and arm strap. No one would even know what it was until you pulled it off the wall.:cool:

chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  4. chelloveck

Good suggestions....I liked the concept of something that could be hidden in plain view that would offer some defensive capability and allow for the capacity to challenge the perp's wisdom of continuing on with their mission. It is merely a starting point for better ideas. The shield could probably be improved with some kevlar to improve it's bullet resistance. Gearing up in body armour is nice if one has the time, but a shield offers quicker protection when the clock is against you.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

....While you are at it, place a loaded pistol and a box of ammo inside the wall, behind the shield. on a shelf between the studs. No one would have any clue it was there.

6. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Lol, I like that! I was going to say make it a spiked bat but then again, I always seem to stub my toes on those things.

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

be careful spiking something like a bat... if you used it during a break-in you would have a lot of explaining to do....

8. enloopious

Well I guess the dogs would have a lot of explaining to do letting the guy actually get in the house first. I mean really, if they've gotten that far then the dogs have really failed at their job.

oldawg likes this.
  9. chelloveck

Not everybody has a dog, and not everybody is so perfect that they never make mistakes, such as failing to secure a window before retiring for the night...it matters little how the intruder gained entry to the house, what matters is how to defend oneself against the possibility of having to deal with an intruder.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, dogs can be a great assset in early detection, but dogs can also be defeated. Remonstrating against the failings of one's guard dog when confronting an intruder doesn't help much if one is empty handed.

kellory likes this.
  10. enloopious

The point I was making is that I really don't give a crap if its legal or not. When it comes to protecting my wife and kids I could care less WTF they have written down in their law books. This is still my house and anyone coming in here with malice of forethought is going to be met with excessive force not the least of which may or may not be legal or within local customs or rituals. Will I go to jail? I don't really care.

scrapman21009 and kellory like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7