Self-erasing flash drives destroy court evidence

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Nov 19, 2011.

1. onegeorgian

onegeorgian Monkey++

A smashed drive is irrecoverable in my honest opinion...whole data anyway.

2. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Old thread I know but I've just determined that (at least on Linux) a LUKS encrypted drive is preferable to a hardware encrypted drive. Hardware encryption is available on my Samsung 840 EVO SSD but I don't trust it - hardware encryption can be backdoored. My LUKS encrypted drive(s) keys are AES set by me and only me. This takes nothing away from the original post about how SSDs are probably more secure with erasure than spinners.

HK_User and BTPost like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Very True Melbo.... ALWAYS use the Open Source Encryption, where folks have read, and understood the Code, and deemed it BackDoor Free.
    This is why we use Phil Zimmerman's work, (PGP, GPG, etc) for MonkeyNet. It is well researched and KNOW BackDoor FREE. In today's world, who do you trust? Yourself, with self-Generated Encryption KeySets, or some Packaged Encryption System from Known Compromised outfits, like MicroSquash, Apple, Google, the Phone/Cellular Companies? That is the REAL Question.... .... YMMV.....

5. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

I use a program called ccleaner, it's free, and aside from the obvious cleanup utilities under "tools" there is a drive wiper tool where you can select the number of times it will be over written. I believe you can pick 3, 5, or 7 times. It takes a while, but it'll clear them out. Not sure why, but an older revision labeled them dod, nsa, or something like that. That older version also had a 35 time over write option. Never tried it, but was tempted just to see how long it would take.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7