Self Sufficiency In The Workplace

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Gopherman, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I spent many years employed by someone else, letting them decide what kind of life I was able to live. How much I could spend on rent, food clothes and just about controlling every aspect of my life.
    Fortunately, I have always been a self motivated, and energetic person and decided, enough already!
    I started my own Painting Company by knocking on doors of houses that looked like they need a paint job.
    I got a deposit and bought the tools I needed to struggle through the first one. I did a very good job and before I had finished 3 other neighbors approached me to do theirs as well.
    Many people struggle to make ends meet because they work for another. this will never change unless you are willing to take a chance on yourself!
    I am by no means saying quit your job immediately and go start a business, there's more to it than that. However, one could start by maybe buying a 4' ladder at a garage sale, some squeegy's from the dollar store, a bucket from anywhere and a couple cut up t-Shirts and go wash windows, develop a route on weekends.When it gets to the point where you are losing money by going to work, it's time to make your move!
    Most people who work a low wage job are owned, and cheaply! They only give minimum hours to avoid Obamacare Reg's. and your schedule is so screwed up you can't plan anything or get yourself out of the rat race, Self- employment is true freedom and you get to keep the fruits of your labor, not earn the company massive amounts of money and take what they let you have!
    Power washing is another great way to make fast money. Most independently owned businesses need their sidewalks washed, or people driveways, houses..... You don't even have to own one, they can be rented.
    There are many ways to do it you just have to be resourceful, and willing to do a good job and the rest will take care of itself.
    Wouldn't it be nice to not worry about getting laid off? Fired? or just able to walk up to your boss and tell him you can't afford to work for him anymore? It feels great, I have done it and now I have more work than I want to do sometimes.
    Those who risk nothing gain nothing!

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Very true @Gopherman and I envy your bravery for putting yourself out there and taking that chance. It is scary. I say scary because it just isn't me that depends on my financial security, it is my children. I have my regular job plus I work two little side jobs. I actually clean for a lady every other weekend and I really like it. I work hard and she appreciate my work so much more then my full time employer. I would love to get a bunch of little side jobs using my various skills and do that full time rather then be chained to a desk.

3. Gopherman

All the more reason to get something going. If one day you woke up and got a pink slip in the mail you'd be in real trouble. Most people are a paycheck away from losing everything and thats the way the PTB like it. Control by Fear. If your not part of their game they can't scare you as bad.
    We are all acutely aware of the way things are going and a financial collapse will affect 100's of millions! Those who work for Corperate Companies are especially at risk for hostile takeover, downsizing to increase shareholder profit or any of a host of other things that usually go wrong.
    Next year some of the largest companies in the country are closing the doors in over 6000 locations. These are not companies you would have ever thought would have to do this.It's easier than you think!:)
    #1 As you read this article, approximately a billion square feet of retail space is sitting vacant in the United States.

#2 Last week, Radio Shack announced that it was going to close more than a thousand stores.

#3 Last week, Staples announced that it was going to close 225 stores.

#4 Same-store sales at Office Depot have declined for 13 quarters in a row.

#5 J.C. Penney has been dying for years, and it recently announced plans to close 33 more stores.

#6 J.C. Penney lost 586 million dollars during the second quarter of 2013 alone.

#7 Sears has closed about 300 stores since 2010, and CNN is reporting that Sears is “expected to shutter another 500 Sears and Kmart locations soon”.

#8 Overall, sales numbers have declined at Sears for 27 quarters in a row.

#9 Target has announced that it is going to eliminate 475 jobs and not fill 700 positions that are currently empty.

#10 It is being projected that Aéropostale will close about 175 stores over the next couple of years.

#11 Macy’s has announced that it is going to be closing five stores and eliminating 2,500 jobs.

#12 The Children’s Place has announced that it will be closing down 125 of its “weakest” stores by 2016.

#13 Best Buy recently shut down about 50 stores up in Canada.

#14 Video rental giant Blockbuster has completely shut down all of their stores.

#15 It is being projected that sales at U.S. supermarkets will decline by 1.7 percent this year even as the overall population continues to grow.

#16 McDonald’s has reported that sales at established U.S. locations were down 3.3 percent in January.

#17 A home appliance chain known as “American TV” in the Midwest is going to be shutting down all 11 stores.

#18 Even Wal-Mart is struggling right now. Just check out what one very prominent Wal-Mart executive recently admitted

David Cheesewright, CEO of Walmart International was speaking at the same presentation, and he pointed out that Walmart would try to protect its market share in the US – where the company had just issued an earnings warning. But most of the growth would have to come from its units outside the US. I mean, via these share buybacks?
    Alas, outside the US too, economies were limping along at best, and consumers were struggling and the operating environment was tough. “We’re seeing economies under stress pretty much everywhere we operate,” Cheesewright admitted.

#19 In a recent CNBC article entitled “Time to close Wal-Mart stores? Analysts think so“, it was recommended that Wal-Mart should close approximately 100 “underperforming” supercenters in rural locations across America.

#20 Retail consultant Howard Davidowitz is projecting that up to half of all shopping malls in America may shut down within the next 15 to 20 years

Within 15 to 20 years, retail consultant Howard Davidowitz expects as many as half of America’s shopping malls to fail. He predicts that only upscale shopping centers with anchors like Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus will survive.
    So is there any hope that things will turn around?

Read more at 6,000 Stores Closing Due to Obama's Retail Apocalypse: Major Chains Imploding

ditch witch, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Two of your list I can shed some light on.
    Sears has systematically, screwed their customers for many years. (I know, I was one of many) I personally will never give them another dime, though I will make that lifetime warranty scream for mercy. They were caught (not once. But twice) on video tape faking repairs to cars. They grossly overcharge for the hook up kits for dishwashers, while refusing to list what is in the kit, or why you need it. The manual simply says "to convert to under counter requires kit #******". It is a lie, and requires about $10.00 worth of simple plumbing parts, not a $90.00kit.
    They give out rebuilt ratchets instead of new ones (in violation of the craftsman garrentee) and will not honor the warentee if they can get out of it. I've had to create a scene to get management to honor their word on several occasions. They nolonger even make sears/craftsman measuring tapes, and will replace it with a Stanley, and try to duck any future warranty (Not their choice. Warranty is part of the original purchase, and they do not have the power to void it, as long as the brand exists.)
    Sears has dug their own grave, and deserves to rise or fall on their own merits.
    As to Walmart, a coworker of mine has worked for them, as has his wife. They were regularly cheated in pay and benifits, and were worked without required breaks. He had problems with vacation dates being approved then denied, required overtime without pay, and several rules violations. It is why neither he, nor his wife still work for them.
    He is a hard worker, and works efficiently, but there it did not matter. The new hire got the same pay, with little effort and no training.
    Those who smoked got smoke breaks, while those who did not smoke were expected to cover for them, and received no breaks. He was not happy there.

Caveman Jim, Seepalaces and Gopherman like this.
  5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I think you haven't included what I think is the most frightening data. China is divesting themselves of US bonds. When I've seen these kinds of scary things, it makes me do more canning and gardening. My poor kids will be getting all their nourishment from a Kerr Jar for at least the next year or so, lol. It is a good reminder that it's always smart to have a fallback.

ditch witch, Yard Dart and Gopherman like this.
  6. Gopherman

I Rest My Case!:cool:

Ganado, Seepalaces and kellory like this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Goin for the Glory

My wife normally agrees with me about where to shop, recently I brought out my Boycott list for her to see. Her reply was "Well then where am I supposed to shop?"
    I replied anywhere but there (the list). She refuses to honor the Walmart boycott but has followed the rest so far.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7