Selling ammo, where to start.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Oct 4, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I already figured I could make them fit. Yeah and that too, 444 marlins, $1 per shell, may need some modification.
    You can't find the magtech 410 shells any where with out paying at least $1 and maybe even up to $2 per shell.

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Really? Got mine a couple of years ago from Midway,I haven't check lately...But then again...Bunches of stuff isn't out there anymore!

SB21 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I found my missing small rifle primers.
    The small primers I had were preobama and I knew I had picked up several thousand about 3 years ago but I couldn'tfind them and I was pretty sure I hadn't loaded them.
    Now I can let go of my factory sealed boxes of 100 federal M193 ammo.
    I would replace it with reload SS109, a 69gr reload version of the Mk262 round, 55gr ballistic tip and some M193 of my own loading.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

It's hell getting old ain't it...lol
    I threw out an even trade deal on a local board here,1k small pistol for 1k small rifle...nothing other than I'll buy them out-right from you,I'm like have we not been there done this before?

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I'm cranking out the small primer ammo now. Four hundred 9mm last night probably get started on 5 hundred 38spl+p+ in magtech brass today then some 5.56 next week. Maybe some more 30 carbines but I'll have to buy the brass.
    I just use small rifle primers in small pistol too. The obama primer shortage taught me that.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE, here: The difference between Small Pistol and Small Rifle Primers is the slight difference in the amount of Energetics in each... Rifle Primers have more that Pistol Primers do, because Rifle powders are typically slower burning, and requirer a slightly hotter flash, to ignite, plus the amount of powder in rifle loads is usually larger than pistol loads, and need to have a hotter flash, to get uniform burn rates... If one keeps this in mind, when designing Loadings, the two are interchangeable for the most part...

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've always heard that and something about the cap being .002 thinner on the pistol primers...
    But hey,Pistol primers work just fine for 300BO,357,30cal carbine,I'm sure there are others out there....

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I first started using small rifle primers in 380acp, a little shell with a small amount of faster burning powder. It works great.
    I don't buy small pistol primers unless they are already in the brass.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Just remember, large RIFLE primers are taller that large PISTOL primers.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I just put 1,000 small rifle primers in 1,000 9mm shells and got 0 high primers.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Holey crap people are very eager to pay $2 to $3 per shot for 30-30 ammo.
    When I put my factory sealed boxes of federal 223 ammo on they're going to go crazy.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Go or have gone crazy?

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Both.
    People went crazy on the 30-30 ammo I sold and I'm sure they will go bananas over 55gr 223 ammo.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. BTPost

I may have to go back in the Ammo OEM Biz, if I can sell 30-30 Ammo for $3.00 per round...

Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

wonder how much spam cans of 7.62x54r are going for.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

219.00 at SGAMMO

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Primers are the bugaboo. If you can source primers the rest can be found, though most available brass is once fired. On NWFA a member has a thread about "reloading" primers based on commercial production techniques. It may get down to that and I'm not currently tossing any spent ones.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. BTPost

Primers I got... Plenty of for the rest of my lifetime... and No, I am not selling any....

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The obscure surplus I checked on was disappointing.
    The 8mm mauser I bought for less than 15 cents a round 20 years ago is going for maybe 3x that. If in was on the east coast I would sell it but unfortunately that old milsurp is really the only long rang ammo I have a lot of. I just barely started loading high BC 8mm hunting ammo.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well, 7.62x54r isn't really obscure. All those 10 million russian mosins need to be fed. I remember when a crate of 2 spam cans was like 75 bucks. I checked GB and 1 can was going for 250 OMG that over 6X.
    I guess if you don't have it, you'll pay for it.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7