Selling ammo, where to start.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Oct 4, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I can take my 22LR silencers apart and scrape the lead out of them. I just don't like doing it.
    The only sealed ones I have are the gemtech sfn for the 5.7x28 pistol and the 45 and 9mm ospreys.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Try the Dip, Soak the baffles for 24 hours,Most of the gra-doo will rinse off no problem !

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That mix would turn lead into lead acetate, over night is gabout right because it's not a fast reaction.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

LOL, Well on this one point I think it's best to just agree to disagree;)
    Things turned out for you the way you wanted so that's good.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I could buy all the premiumish "made in 2021" std velocity 22lr ammo I could want for 12 to 13 or more cents a round, but I just don't need it that bad.
    I bought a couple of bricks for about 13-14 cents a round and afterwards thought that was kind of stupid.
    I don't mind paying that much for premium subsonic rifle ammo because that's kind of where the money's at right now.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Just in recent days I have been able to recover about 1/4 of the 22lr I sold.
    About 1,600 winchester silvertip and 2,000 cci quiet segmented hollow points.

I still can't believe people were paying $100 for a loose packed ziplock bag of 20 year old thunderjams. So about nine hundred 20 year old thunderjams sold during the summer of firey love now equals 1/2 brick of 2021 made silvertip or cci quiet. Yeah I'll take that deal any day of the week.

Eventually I'll buy more cheap shit but I'll wait till it's falling off the store shelves and that will likely take years, but I can wait.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A year later still glad I did.
    Replacing 8 to 21 year old dirty cheap bare lead supersonic 22lr ammo with premium plated subsonic for almost a 2 for 1 swap.
    Off loaded tons of old/inherited 12ga buckshot and slugs that just aren't real useful in the high plains.
    Off loaded factory loaded 9mm and 45acp ball/range ammo some self defense ammo; disposed of the smorgasbord of 38 and 357 ammo I inherited. Replaced and standardized with 1 load, a hot 38spl +p.
    Sold what little factory loaded 44mag and 44spl I had just because I could get $3 a shot for it, didn't even put a dent in those ammo piles. No need to replace the 44 ammo I sold.
    Scraped together and sold every factory 5.7x28 round I could find. Will replace with reduced blast or subsonic reloads now that I have the gemtech sfn. Full power factory ammo was kind of pointless with a silencer, that's why it's all gone.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I'm still selling ammo.
    Got 2 bricks of cci quiet segmented copper plated HP, 40gr @710fps and it didn't cycle my semiauto and it wasn't that accurate. Sold what was left from my testing, made about +20%. I'll take that and buy about 1.5 times as many winchester powerpoint points which are my most accurate supersonic ammo right now and is on the shelf at walmart right now. Ideally I'll end up with 2 or 3 rounds at least 1 subsonic that shoot straight in all guns, are easy to find, not stupid expensive, the point of aim has minimal change switching between ammo, shoots tight groups, isn't excessively dirty and cycles a semiauto.
    Then when I figure that out, I buy the shit out of that ammo and that's all I buy.

Next range trip I'll test out the winchester silvertips and the super special silencer ammos see if they are worth a shit in anything else. So far they haven't been.

Off loaded all my .451'' 185gr xtp bullets (not ammo) for what I paid for them. I'll buy 2x as many 230gr berry's plated HP bullets. Testing my best 185gr loads vs really any thrown together 230gr load, the 230s shoot better.

I have boxes of 500 Sierra 69gr matchkings to off load (not ammo). They're out of stock everywhere I looked so I should at least be able to get what I paid for them. And use that to pay for the several thousand rmr 69gr hybrid HP bullets I bought, which are also now out of stock. 1 matchking should pay for at least 2 rmr hybrids if I just get current retail price for them, maybe 3 if I'm lucky and things get gougy.
    Also off loading 73gr hornady ELD match .224 bullets, 1 ELD should pay for about 4 rmr bullets. I can live with that.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The the winchester 22lr Silvertips are safe. Everything else, the odd ball 22lr stuff I bought, is going on gunbroker.
    Keeping and buying standard weight standard velocity and high subsonic ammo.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My new 5.56 and 223 loads that I replaced the dollar a shot factory ball ammo I sold with are as follows.
    It's been in the works for a while and worth it. More worth it than I thought it would be.
    The mk269, rifle ammo. Loaded to take advantage of that 20'' bbl and 1:7 twist. A rmr 69gr HP BT over 26gr of leverevolution, a cci41 primer, brass trimmed to 1.75, coal is appropriately 2.23'' shoots about 1.5moa, or less with, at about 2,950fps in an A2 upper with proper A2 sights. *this load may produce excessive pressure in guns with actual 223rem or 223wyld chambers* A half grain higher (26.5gr) produces light over pressure signs, 27gr is definitively making ejector flow shear marks in my rifle. This matches the accuracy I got with premium preplandemic $1 a shot 77gr match ammo. Cost is about 35 cents a shot using range pickup brass I have been diligently collecting over the last 2 years.

The M193-223, Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT carbine ammo. Unlike the MK269 the M193-223 should be safe in all guns. Military M193 is loaded balls to the wall full power, with double base ball powder, accuracy be damned. M193-223 uses the start load of H322 according to my speer13 manual, which is 22.5gr. H322 is a single base temperature stabilized powder that should have the longest shelf life. Most of the powder I used was about 20 years old and still looked and smelled perfect. I was going to kill off the H322 and be done with it, now, idk, I'll probably buy more eventually. Made in Australia.
    Used a standard (non-mag) cci400 primer, brass @1.75'', bullets seated to book coal of 2.215''. Have not chronographed yet. Produced nearly 1moa with my Delton mid-length 16'' 1:7 upper with leupold cqt optic. No factory 55gr FMJ BT ever came close to 1moa, I don't think any factory ammo ever did just over 1moa in that gun. Cost using smurfed brass, pre9/11 powder, preplandemic bullets, but plandemic priced primers looking at about 20 cents a shot. Post plandemic pricing probably on all components, just under 30 cents a shot.
    I have a reject pile where the brass had dents or scratches or was odd ball head stamps I'll test the carbine ammo in the rifle and vise versa and see what happens. I already know my rifle generally doesn't like any 55gr ammo, but this 55gr load is a little lighter than typical 55gr factory ammo.
    I'm still working on an M855, or 62gr FMJ-BT load that does great in both rifle and carbines. Don't know if they will be a G or NC-17 rates load. That load will probably use ball powder, W748 or AA2460.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    CraftyMofo likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Loaded up a more or less true M855 round for the rifle and carbine using cci41 and winchester 748.
    I skipped the start load because if near the start load was best accuracy I don't want the lack luster velocity, already gave up V for accuracy with the M193-223. So I started at 24.5gr, loaded some at 25gr and the max charge of 25.5gr.
    24.5gr produced good to acceptable accuracy in both guns.
    25gr was pretty bad, making 1 inch at 25yd in both guns. Conveniently consistent.
    25.5gr, the max load made the best group, 6 shots, 1 hole, both guns shot what looked like the same group.
    An unexpected surprise but a welcome one.
    Also the M193-223 doesn't cycle the rifle with out a silencer, not even close. Maybe if I swapped in a 3oz carbine buffer it would run. But the rifle has a proper 5.5oz rifle buffer.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That or its over-gassed and outrunning the buffer tube spring, I like Odin works adjustable gas blocks, You dial it in, You're set

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All carbines are over gassed with the .mil style A pillar.
    I'll buy an A pillar or 2 and practice doing the adjustable gas system mod.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Looks like the ammo selling market is dried up. Had some bullets I didn't plan on loading on gun broker for over a month.
    I can load'em or hold'em.
    Was trying to sell some 500packs of Sierra 69gr HPBT bullets. I discovered RMR 69gr HPBT, they shoot better than Sierra and cost half as much.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I bought half the winchester made 30-30 150gr ammo at walmart today there's still 170gr w-w and some federal. I'll buy the rest of the 150gr winchester tomorrow since that shoots the best in my gun. I sold all my 30-30 ammo during the plandemic for between $3 and $4 a shot. I'm replacing it for about $1.16 per shot after sales tax out the door.
    I could have sold shipping containers full of 20 year old Walmart $8.99 corlok 30-30 for $3+ a shot. That's a deal I would take any day of the week. $3 a shot for 50 cents a shot 20 year old ammo to buy brand new 2022 made ammo for $1.16. Yes please.

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  16. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Lol, we were just talking about that very subject at deer camp. Told the youngsters I had boxes of 30-30 for 8.99 a box. They couldn’t believe it!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Some still had the orange $8.99 tag, most were $9.99.

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The small smorgasbord of 9mm I sold has been replaced.
    A lot of the stuff I off loaded was 115 and 124gr 9mm. But what I'm finding is I really like is subsonic 124gr and 147gr.
    My "let's go to the range ammo" is a 115gr fmj over a full case of CBI.
    My quiet load is a sig 124gr HP over 3.3gr of nitro100nf. It may be +p, it does about 1,000fps, very quiet.
    My standard, glock safe 147gr load uses 4gr of unique. That is close to max from several different manuals.
    My sten gun ammo is a hot load of HS6 pushing a 147gr HP that does about 1,250fps, only safe in the sten gun.
    I'm going to trial a 158gr HP over a compressed load of AA7 with a target velocity of around 1,300fps. It will basically turn the sten into a 357mag with a 32 round mag.
    But I'll need to find a supply of nickel plated or yellow brass marked "+p". I don't load the real hot shit in plain brass cases.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7