Semi auto 22mag rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Oct 24, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Obviously the correct answer is get both.
    But which one first?

I was thinking about getting a 10/22 mag or keltec cmr30.
    I have requirements.
    Semiautomatic obviously.
    High magazine capacity.
    Politically incorrect.
    Threaded barrel.
    Needs to be reliable.
    Accuracy, yes.

I think the cmr30 all or most come with a 1/2x28 threaded barrel.
    10/22 I would likely need to buy a threaded barrel and it wouldn't have open sites.
    The keltec has full use of open sites with a big fat can screwed on the muzzel.

I know the 10/22 is just about the most reliable blow back rim fire around. If the gun doesn't cycle, the round probably didn't go off.
    Or I put 500+ rounds through it and it gets to where it really needs an oil change and it starts to malfunction because of soot.

Keltecs are hit or miss for reliability.

The keltecs look kind of funny with a 16 inch barrel. I would probably SBR it. Make it look more like an uzi.
    Don't know if thata possible to shorten the barrel, thread it and have it cycle correctly.

What do you think?

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

2 * 10/22s :D :D

get a bullpup conversion kit or 2

[chopper]

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Go with the 10/22. It has TONS of aftermarket support and a rock solid reputation. Mine eats any ammo I have put through it including the dreaded Remington Golden Bullet. Ruger's BX50 mags are reasonable in 2 packs (sometimes PSA has them on sale :)) and you can get them at any sporting goods store. BTW you can also have a gunsmith thread your barrel(s). And @sec_monkey is right - get two.

4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Kind of have to go with the Ruger, after a few million you have all the bugs worked out and the aftermarket is unbelievable. It also doesn't frighten people as much as as long as you don't live in downtown LA or NYC, some family member has probably owned one and it is just like Uncle Carl's gun etc.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I got a stainless/synthetic 10/22 with a 18" barrel and love it. I also got a 25 round and a ridiculously large 50 round magazine which I seldom use. The barrel is not threaded. I got a deal on a 1-9X scope magazines which completes it. Can't get a better .22.

Having said the above, I now find myself wanting the 10/22 'Take Down' (specifically Model: 21133 bull barrel, also threaded) and am seriously considering it but it's tough to justify the cost since I already have an excellent .22 (above). However, what makes it so attractive is when it's teamed with the Ruger Silent-SR Integrally Suppressed Barrel (16 inch).

I think if Ruger made an integrated suppressed barrel for their 9mm PC (Pistol Carbine), which is also a 'Take Down', then I would purchase it in a heartbeat. I betting they will do so in the near future since the 9mm PC is modeled after their .22 Take Down. Well, I am hoping it will be in the near future... Maybe I will call them today and ask them if that is in the foreseeable future...

EDIT: To close the loop... I did call them. They couldn't tell me much except that the PC TakeDown was selling well. They have discontinued the old PC4 (.40) and PC9 (9mm) versions. The decision to produced an integral suppressor barrel seems a no-brainer to me so I will continue to watch and hope.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Ruger 22Mag 10/22s are rare as hen's teeth around here. If you can find one it may cost you $1k. They are dependable as hell and almost all the aftermarket stuff should fit fine.

Keltec CMRs are also rare but you should be able to find one <$400. Reliability is iffy as well. You may win or you may lose. I had to do some very delicate polishing in the throat of my PMR to keep the case rim from hanging at the face of the chamber. Also, for the PMR there is a warning not to put a can on the threaded barrel for risk of overpressuring the action and causing damage. If I had a can, I would try it anyway.

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Why not an AR Pattern .22 Mag rifle?
    Found stuff in .22 WMR - Brandes Magnum Rimfire Upper Kits But, looks like everything is out of stock there.

So, you may be stuck buying a complete rifle like the Ruger 10/22...Savage A22, Marlin 922M, Magnum research MLR22AT .22 Semi Automatic Rifle

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I vote neither! I have built prolly 20 Rugers for friends and relatives, but never felt the need to own one of my own, they are over hyped and the accuracy is Meh.....................So/so! SO My vote is Marlin Mod 60 tube mage fed stainless semi auto! Rock solid, reliable as any thing, and very accurate! No need for aftermarket support with this one, its perfection right outta the box! MArlin really nailed it with this one, and the Micro Groove barrels don't fowl with soft lead bullets!

9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Zimmy "Ruger 22Mag 10/22s are rare as hen's teeth..."

Why is that - I mean - specifically why isn't the .22 Mag more popular? I would love a .22 magnum if it was reliable as the Ruger 10/22. Furthermore, if they made it in the 'Take Down' version that to me would be a 'must have' item. Now that I think about it, I don't even see much .22 mag ammo on the shelves... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Maybe the .22LR does just about everything the .22mag does at a lot less gun and ammo cost? Dunno. Recently, I was considering getting the wife a Ruger LCR .22mag revolver for around the house protection...

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I think they only made the magnum version from 1998-2006. I agree that it should be more popular yet no manufacturer has broken through the challenge of reliability and still managed a high volume selling rifle. Look at all the years we didn't have a detachable mag 12 gauge semi-auto tactical shotgun (for whatever reason).

A generation of cheap SKS, AK, MAK-90, AR, ect rifles probably filled the "BIGGER-THAN-A-.22LR-BUT-NOT-A-QUALITY-DEER-RIFLE" niche with cheap guns and cheaper ammo.

sec_monkey, Brokor, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Didn't Remington at one time make a 22 mag semi auto?

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was specifically looking for something with detachable high capacity magazine.
    22mag only.

sec_monkey, Zimmy and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I think the old BIL has a Remington 22 mag, Now if it has a detachable mag. I don't know, I'm pretty scared of guns and all.

14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The manufactures were making them for a while, but reliability was iffy, and detachable mags are a bugger to get to feed reliailably, so they stopped making them, that and their wasn't enough demand to push them to do any thing to improve them! Remington did come closest, but a combo of bad metallurgy and a system that was overwhelmed by the power levels, led to several law suits and a buy back! Ruger had better luck, but demand just wasn't there!

15. duane

duane Monkey+++

Saw and shot old Army Air Force survival rifle at Eglin back in 1950's that was 22 Hornet and it was quite impressive in a block of ballistic gelatin, like 22 mag but it is in a weird niche for me. Not reloadable, expensive and not common in the stores, while more powerful than a 22 long, not really needed for most small game. Given the choice between one of the 22 mag and another Ar, well.:)

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

22Mag / 22WMR?

No.

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Just thinking here, Why not one of the many 5.56/223 rifles?
    More power, cheaper ammo, many take the AR pattern mags ( or just build/buy and AR) or a .300 BO?
    Again, just spit ballin!

Dont, Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That would be the old M-4 Survival Rifle! Neat-o design, but poor caliber choice!
    I'm building a kinda sorta version using a Savage Action and a quick change barrel ( when I get it figured out how to do it) that will take both the 5.56/223 and .300 Black Out! Should be a real hoot and super handy!
    [​IMG]

19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'd get a bolt action if it was me, but I too have been looking at the CMR.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I missed above that it was 22 Mag not 22 LR. I agree, it's better to use a more common cartridge, especially something you can find at any sporting goods store. If I was hell bent on a rim fire and 22LR wasn't enough then I'd go 17 HMR. Not as cheap, but you can still find it anywhere. as for 223/5,56? it's always a good time to buy an AR when you can buy them for $400-$500. Get 'em before the party is over.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7