Sen. George Allen (R, VA) introduces National CCW Recognition Bill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E.L., Aug 2, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sen. George Allen (R, VA) introduces National CCW Recognition Bill
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]{Note: Recognition is far better than reciprocity. This just arrived in a VCDL alert. Contact your senators about signing on. And support George Allen for President!}

Senator George Allen has introduced S.3275, a bill that would make a
    concealed handgun or weapon permit valid in all 50 states!

There are 13 co-sponsors as of now:

Sen Burns, Conrad R. [MT] - 6/5/2006
    Sen Burr, Richard [NC] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Craig, Larry E. [ID] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Crapo, Mike [ID] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Dole, Elizabeth [NC] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Ensign, John [NV] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Inhofe, James M. [OK] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Lott, Trent [MS] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Martinez, Mel [FL] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Nelson, E. Benjamin [NE] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Sununu, John E. [NH] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Thune, John [SD] - 5/26/2006
    Sen Vitter, David [LA] - 5/26/2006

--

Here is the text of the bill for those interested:

A BILL

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard
    in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed
    firearms in the State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the
    United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. NATIONAL STANDARD FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED
    FIREARMS BY NONRESIDENTS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is
    amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

`Sec. 926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed
    firearms by nonresidents

`(a) Definition- In this section, the term `another State'
    means a State other than the State from which a person holds a
    license or permit described in subsection (b)(2).

`(b) Authorization- Notwithstanding any provision of the law of
    any State or political subdivision thereof, and subject to subsection
    (c), a person may carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun
    or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in
    interstate or foreign commerce in another State if the person--

`(1) is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing,
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm; and

`(2) is carrying a valid license or permit that--

`(A) is issued by a State; and

`(B) permits the person to carry a concealed
    firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device).

`(c) Licensing-

`(1) IN GENERAL- If another State issues licenses or
    permits to carry concealed firearms, a person may carry a concealed
    firearm in that State under this section under the same restrictions
    that apply to the carrying of a concealed firearm by a person to whom
    that State has issued such a license or permit.

`(2) NO LICENSES BY STATE- Except to the extent expressly
    permitted by State law, if another State does not issue licenses or
    permits to carry concealed firearms, a person may not carry a
    concealed firearm in that State under this section--

`(A) in a police station;

`(B) in a public detention facility;

`(C) in a courthouse;

`(D) in a public polling place;

`(E) at a meeting of a State, county, or municipal
    governing body;

`(F) in a school;

`(G) at a professional or school athletic event not
    related to firearms;

`(H) in a portion of an establishment licensed by
    that State to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
    premises; or

`(I) inside the sterile or passenger area of an airport.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for Chapter 44 of
    title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item
    relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. National standard for the carrying of certain
    concealed firearms by nonresidents.'.
    [/FONT]

The Stearns/Boucher/Allen Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

The national Right-to-Carry (RTC) reciprocity bill, H.R. 4547 (introduced by U.S. Reps. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., and Rick Boucher, D-Va.) and S. 3275 (introduced by Sen. George Allen, R-Va.) would allow any person with a valid concealed firearm carrying permit or license, issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state, as follows: In states that issue concealed firearm permits, a state`s laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its own borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal "bright-line" standard would permit carrying in places other than police stations; courthouses; public polling places; meetings of state, county, or municipal governing bodies; schools; passenger areas of airports; and certain other locations. H.R. 4547 would also apply to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would require the states to recognize each others` carry permits, just as they recognize drivers` licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

Today, 48 states have laws permitting concealed carry, in some circumstances. Forty states, accounting for two-thirds of the U.S. population, have RTC laws. Thirty-six have "shall issue" permit laws (including Alaska, which also allows carrying without a permit), three have fairly administered "discretionary issue" permit laws, and Vermont allows carrying without a permit. (Eight states have restrictive discretionary issue laws.) Most RTC states have adopted their laws during the last decade.

Citizens with carry permits are more law-abiding than the general public. Only 0.02% of more than a half million permits issued by Florida have been revoked because of firearm crimes by permit holders. Similarly low percentages of permits have been revoked in Texas, Virginia, and other RTC states that keep such statistics. RTC is widely supported by law enforcement officials and groups.
    States with RTC laws have lower violent crime rates. On average, 21% lower total violent crime, 28% lower murder, 43% lower robbery, and 13% lower aggravated assault, compared to the rest of the country. Nine of the 10 states with the lowest violent crime rates are RTC states. (Data: FBI.)

Crime declines in states with RTC laws. Since adopting RTC in 1987, Florida`s total violent crime and murder rates have dropped 31% and 52%, respectively. Texas` violent crime and murder rates have dropped 19% and 33%, respectively, since its 1996 RTC law. (Data: FBI.)

The right of self-defense is fundamental, and has been recognized in law for centuries. The Declaration of Independence asserts that "life" is among the unalienable rights of all people. The Second Amendment guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms for "security."

The laws of all states and constitutions of most states recognize the right to use force in self-defense. The Supreme Court has stated that a person "may repel force by force" in self-defense, and is "entitled to stand his ground and meet any attack made upon him with a deadly weapon, in such a way and with such force" as needed to prevent "great bodily injury or death." (Beard v. U.S., 1895)
    Congress affirmed the right to guns for "protective purposes" in the Gun Control Act (1968) and Firearm Owners` Protection Act (1986). In 1982, the Senate Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on the Constitution described the right to arms as "a right of the individual citizen to privately possess and carry in a peaceful manner firearms and similar arms."

http://www.nraila.org/issues/FactSh...ead.aspx?ID=189

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I am delighted to say he represents me in the Senate. He gets my vote next time around. (Wasn't here for his first election.)

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Anyone here from Alabama, Georgia and Texas need to get their representatives on the ball. I see that Mississippi, Louisiana and even Florida are onboard. We need to make it unaimouse in the south. You guys have to help me out there. I have to deal with CA which will, I dare to say it, never openly advocate such a 'travesty'. Haha.

In my mind we need to extinguish any bans on any type of guns, allow for this concealed carry in all 50 +1 states and have an open 'display' carry. Then again I'm a loon, so who really thinks like me eh? Haha.

Criminals that either buy or steal weapons to commit crimes should be dealt with more severely. Look at this little bit of law for example. Say 'Jenny' has a stalker. There is nothing Jenny can do. She goes to the police and reports this stalker and they are held up by laws that protect the perp instead of the victim. So one day Jenny is found dead, then the cops can act. If Jenny had been able to own and protect herself with a gun, the stalker would have paid the price and Jenny would be alive.

What's next after citizens are no longer able to own weapons? Pepper-spray becomes illegal? Tasers? The right to fight back is illegal? We need to support any of our appointed representatives with a big enough set of cajones that brings up ideas like this one. I for one will start contacting everyone in CA to let them know to get on board with this. My fight may be long and may prove fruitless though it is what I can do.

Let your 'elected' officials know where you stand. Practice your First Amendment and let them know that if they do not play ball then when it comes to vote time, you won't play ball. Good luck to all.

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I can only imagine driving into CA and being legal with my NV CCW!

TailorMadeHell, come to NV and get a non-resident permit which is good for 3 years. Once the bill passes it'll be good in CA!

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Its a start,But I think they need to take classes from Alaska you can CCW without a permint there!
    They shouldnt require CCW if you havent broke the law!

6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I will seriously think about that Valkman. This just goes so much against my grain it is unreal. I was raised in the south and everywhere you looked or cared to, you would see a gun of some type. Be it shotguns, rifles, hanguns, gooseguns or whatever. Out here I'm afraid it is going towards the English situation where even the police don't carry guns. They have to call in a special team for any attack. By then the original calling officer may be shot dead. Interesting thoughts on staying alive. Idjuts. Sheesh.

As far as a CCW law goes, I don't see it would make much difference if they had a law requiring a CCW or if they just didn't care if you concealed. They would still 'know' you carried or had a firearm if you buy it from a shop and they got their hands on those records. I would like to see one day you could go into a weapons shop and buy a pistol by receiving it, laying your money on the counter, and walking out. That should be the extent of it. No laws needed to run checks. If a felon goes and buys a gun, so be it. If that felon gets caught with a gun and he is a felon due to a violent crime, then send him back to jail. If that felon buys a gun and uses it in a crime, then sent him back to jail.

On the other hand, if the felon buys a gun and attacks someone with it then the victim shoots the felon, award the victim. He or she did the police a service. If the felon buys a gun, keeps it under wraps and uses it for his own defense while in his home on a burgular then I'd say let him keep his gun. He did a service by eliminating another possible felon.

Here is a situation that I could find myself in, truly and with no BS. My brother is a felon. When he was younger he grabbed a car and went for a joyride in it. There was nobody physically hurt in his taken it. There was worry on the persons mind that he took the car. And for the record, the car belonged to a cop and was his personal ride. Well my brother got charged with grand theft auto as he was past his 18th bday. He was sentenced, served time and is now a felon. He is not allowed to own a firearm, be in posession of a firearm, or be in the vicinity of a firearm. So what's that mean if I have a rack full of guns and he comes to visit? Do I have to sell my guns so he can stay there? Do I have to have someone babysit them for me till my brother is gone? My brother was not a violent offender and even though I know he was wrong in what he did and I have no pity on him, I do not see that because he caught a title he's going to grab up a gun and kill people. For the sake of information, my brother has never handled a gun in his life. So where does that leave him and me?

If he uses a gun in a crime, lock his butt up. If he defends himself or for that matter me, while he is staying with me, should he be jailed again? Just something to debate as I already know how I would act.

As far as the checks, they act like people can't come in and get firearms with a fake id. If I take your SSN, address and such and get my picture on a basic id, then I could go buy a gun. You will have the record of having bought one, and I will have disappeared. Simple to avoid. If you want a law to work, you have to make people want to abide by it. If it's too constrictive then you will find that people rebel against it and find ways around it. And you can make laws until you are blue in the face and most criminals will not abide by them even if you promised to pay them. Just my thoughts.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7